What's new

Movies only you could love (1 Viewer)

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
I don't have too many BDs that fall into that category--maybe a German Region B release of THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957). If we expand the question to DVDs, I'd have to include THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK (1972), which I have an unhealthy fascination with that apparently no one else shares. Also, the cheesy yet strangely watchable THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS (1957), which I re-watch quite often, in spite of the fact that it stars the usually-repellant John Agar. Go figure.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hmmmm, i think those would be:

1) Hook: I love this movie and I don't understand why most people, even Spielberg himself, don't like it!
2) The Blue lagoon: again, a film from my childhood with great nostalgic value. Love the music, the landscapes.. Gorgeous to look at..
3) Legend: Ok, the story and script aren't its strongest elements, but it has gorgeous sets, costumes, cinematography and masterful music by Jerry Goldsmith (talking about the European and director's cut versions), and this exceptional fairytale atmosphere that i personally love.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mr. Jingles said:
What are some unique movies in your collection that you love but most everyone else probably doesn't?
Skatetown USA: I get laughed at by some for this but love quizzing folks on what was Patrick Swayze's first feature role.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Nobody I know likes any of these movies.

Fast-Walking (1982)
Strange story, but great acting, especially from Tim McEntire.

Around the World Under the Sea (1966)
Incredibly cheesy and hokey, but very interesting nonetheless.

Cool World (1992)
I doubt an animation/live action film will ever be made like this one again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmm.....one of the most unique...

Winter of The Witch

For only the few that had this shown from a 16mm projector
in their grade school class, this is a little-known gem.

Somebody on this forum sent me a transfer from a 16mm
print years ago. Can't find it...but it's somewhere in my
collection.

I think I'm going to end up repurchasing it

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kyrsten Brad said:
Skatetown USA: I get laughed at by some for this but love quizzing folks on what was Patrick Swayze's first feature role.
Nah, I would've never had guess that title for you. :lol:

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Konstantinos said:
The Blue lagoon: again, a film from my childhood with great nostalgic value. Love the music, the landscapes.. Gorgeous to look at..
+1 on this title. Beautiful film and Blu-ray from Twilight Time.
Another early 80s film I love is Against All Odds with Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward. Doesn't seem to be popular with most people, but I like it. Another Sony title that has a gorgeous Blu-ray transfer. The Mexican locations are amazingly well-rendered (and Rachel Ward's not too bad either). :)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
What a GREAT thread idea!!
Konstantinos said:
2) The Blue lagoon: again, a film from my childhood with great nostalgic value. Love the music, the landscapes.. Gorgeous to look at..
What he said! I'll add that one look at Christopher Atkins in that loincloth was what made me realize that perhaps I was different from other little boys.

Also on my list would be:

MAME (1974) I know, I know, TRUST me I know it's a terrible movie but, maybe like Konstantin and BLUE LAGOON, this one is so wrapped up in my childhood that I can't let objectivity get in the way of my complete enjoyment of it. I love it, and in a completely non-ironic way.

CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC (1980) Again, the nostalgia factor plays an important role as this was one of the first movies I remember watching endlessly when we first got HBO in the early 80's. To this day, I still get a charge out of Steve Guttenberg roller-skating through the streets of New York in split-screen to David London's "Sound of the City." I got embarrassed just writing that so please keep it between us ;)

GOLDWYN FOLLIES (1938) Ritz Brothers aside, this much-maligned Hollywood satire is much better than the Medved Brothers would have you believe. With gorgeous Technicolor and a very funny performance by Vera Zorina, I've watched this one more times than I'd care to remember.

AT LONG LAST LOVE (1975) This one's getting something of a critical re-assessment, but I loved it since before it was cool.

Awesome idea, Mr. Jingles, thanks!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Up Tight (1968)--a very incendiary film upon its release, it was nearly shutdown by Paramount Pictures upon reviews of the dailies from its director, Jules Dassin. Thus, as a result, Mr. Dassin had to leave America to finish editing this one for release. When I first saw it on television overnight several years ago, portions of the film were edited out vs. what was in the final cut of the film. Upon finally catching up to one on my birthday last year, I finally saw why. No, there wasn't because of a great deal of gratuitous nudity, sex nor even curse words--but rather subversive content which, to this day, people would still find offensive nearly 50 years later.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Way too many to mention but the 1973 Lost Horizon musical remake is at the top of the list! I saw it twice the week it opened, snapped up the laser disc the day it hit the market and currently have the DVD. I love it! I think I've met only one other person in my life who unashamedly loved it too.

Of more recent films, I was surprised at the unanimous bad reviews for Diana. Not a good film by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't that bad and I thought Naomi Watts' performance was one of the best performances by an actress last year. Sue me! And yes, it's in my movie library.

An interesting companion question would be, what universally praised and beloved films do you hate? It's A Wonderful Life and The Grapes Of Wrath would top my list there.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC (1980) Again, the nostalgia factor plays an important role as this was one of the first movies I remember watching endlessly when we first got HBO in the early 80's. To this day, I still get a charge out of Steve Guttenberg roller-skating through the streets of New York in split-screen to David London's "Sound of the City." I got embarrassed just writing that so please keep it between us ;)
100% YES! The film is such a misfire but never dull and hilarious for all the wrong reasons. I own an original one-sheet from the film and had it framed on my wall until my then-wife made me take it down because it embarrassed her. I just replaced it with the one-sheet from another of my favorite guilty pleasures:

POPEYE (1980)

Yes, it loses its way toward the end. I don't care. It's such a strange, unique film. I love the character work by the cast, the clever script by Jules Feiffer, and Harry Nilsson's great songs. I saw it in its original run when I was eight years-old and fell in love with it. I actually bought the soundtrack... on 8-track. (I owned a 2-XL toy that was essentially an 8-track player.)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My biggest guilty secret love is for a film called 'The Reluctant Saint'. There are two films with that title. One is about the life of Frances of Assisi.
But the one I'm discussing is, Wikipedia says, "a somewhat fictionalized version of the story of Joseph of Cupertino, a 17th-century Italian Conventual Franciscan friar and mystic who is honored as a saint by the Catholic Church. It stars Maximilian Schell as Joseph, as well as Ricardo Montalban, Lea Padovani, Akim Tamiroff, and Harold Goldblatt. The movie was written by John Fante and Joseph Petracca and directed by Edward Dmytryk."

I love that 'somewhat fictionalised'. In fact, this is to my agnostic if not downright atheistic eyes, a screwball comedy full of deliciously comic moments when the very dim would-be friar Joseph gets so ecstatic in his meditations that he starts levitating all over the place, even when his fellow friars try to chain him down. The film ends with a delirous scene when the friars, having finally accepted their brother friar as ok if a tad outlandish, all go for a walk, while having to keep tugging their recalcitrant levitator back to earth.

It's hysterical. I love it and the DVD is very precious. I can't see it ever coming to Blu ray. "Somewhat fictionalised" indeed!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
AnthonyClarke said:
It's hysterical. I love it and the DVD is very precious. I can't see it ever coming to Blu ray. "Somewhat fictionalised" indeed!
Slightly OT, but this reminds me of when I watched Day Of The Triffids on Amazon Prime, and it was listed as a 'documentary'

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Little Murders (1971). When it comes to black comedy, it doesn't get much blacker than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks