Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TMG: THE NAME OF THE GAME: SEASON 1 8/19/2014

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 of 171 OFFLINE   Brian:C

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:37 PM

POPULAR

The death of Classic TV and Timeless Media Group continues to be greatly exaggerated in other threads.

TMG will release season 1 on THE NAME OF THE GAME, August  19, 2014 SRP $49:99

Great news, I'm looking forward to the release.

Brian

Classic TV on DVD Episode Release Guide

Current Recommendations:
Tiimless Media: Brenner, Red Skelton In Color
VCI: Burkes LawMillcreek: Best Of Jack BennyCBS/Paramount:Mannix

#2 of 171 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:42 PM

One of my absolute top wanted titles! I have gotten enough encouraging news from different sources about this show to keep hope alive, but this still seems like a terrific surprise. (And that price is definitely an unexpected piece of good news.)

#3 of 171 ONLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:53 PM

If this one does, indeed, come to pass in August...then what is already shaping up to be a very, Merry XMAS--with The Sopranos TCS BD and Batman '66 TCS (however it comes!!) en route--becomes a whole lot merrier!!!!!! I watched this show often back in the late 1960s and early 1970s and enjoyed it immensely!!! Thanks for this wonderful news!!!!!
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#4 of 171 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,437 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:29 PM

I applaud the emergence of a late 60s Universal title we haven't seen make it before, and I suspect this means "Run For Your Life" won't be too far behind. Though it would be also nice if the TMG label could resume similar era titles Shout abandoned previously (Ironside, Marcus Welby).I've only seen one episode of Name Of The Game on YT, but was impressed enough and by the guest casts to see more of it and will make this a definite.

#5 of 171 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:31 PM

Excellent news.  I have always wanted to see this released on DVD. 

#6 of 171 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:36 PM

The NBC logo prominently featured on the box art makes me suspect that Jack may well be right about Run For Your Life and other NBC/Universal titles.

#7 of 171 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 03:19 PM

I wonder if the "Fame is the Name of the Game" pilot-movie will be included?I watched a number of episodes last year on Cozi(or AntennaTV?), last year, but lost interest when they seemed to repeat the same episodes over and over. So it will be nice to have Season 1 on DVD. And Seasons 2 and 3 too.importcds.com is showing it priced at $29.43.

#8 of 171 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 04:17 PM

The preliminary Amazon information is always subject to change, so this isn't guaranteed, but the listed running time for the set indicates that the pilot is not included.

#9 of 171 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 07:10 PM

Great to have Name of The Game to be released in August, can (Kraft) Suspense Theater be far behind?

#10 of 171 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,609 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:25 PM

The death of Classic TV and Timeless Media Group continues to be greatly exaggerated in other threads.

TMG will release season 1 on THE NAME OF THE GAME, August  19, 2014 SRP $49:99

I disagree completely with your first sentence.  The statistics do not back up your assertion, but I'll leave it at that.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'll pick this up.  But as always, I'm happy for those that want it.

Gary "not really my cup of tea - I'd much prefer to hear news of The Rebel coming soon" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#11 of 171 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:45 PM

Pleasantly surprised about this!  Maybe we'll eventually get The Bold Ones and the aforementioned Run For Your Life...

#12 of 171 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,437 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm just glad to see a new series from Timeless that isn't a western for a change.

#13 of 171 OFFLINE   High C

High C

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'm just glad to see a new series from Timeless that isn't a western for a change.

Good point. That also gives me hope that RFYL might get a release soon.

#14 of 171 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,097 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:13 PM

I really know next to nothing about this show.  Universal was doing some great things in the late 1960s and early 1970s, so I think this is worth picking up.  How would people characterize the show?  The later Universal wheel shows were based on mysteries.  What moves the plot in this?

#15 of 171 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,334 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:04 AM

August 19 is my Birthday. I JUST HAVE to get this one (An introduce my 'boots of this show to "Mr. B. F. Hammerr!!!) :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Edited by Regulus, June 28 2014 - 08:49 AM.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 39,872 :biggrin: ( 839 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,429   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#16 of 171 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,609 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:33 AM

POPULAR

Even though it started in the late 60's, it has a 70's vibe to it.  And on top of that, it's 75 minutes long.  I'd say it's tolerable, but not anything I'm going to do flips over.  Unlike others here, I'd much rather see Timeless release more westerns from the 50's and early 60's myself.

Gary "just my opinion - to each his own" O.  :D

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#17 of 171 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:47 AM

The Timeless release I would like to see is a complete set of The Third Man

#18 of 171 OFFLINE   Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:50 AM

I think I may have seen this show once or twice in reruns as a kid in the early 80s. In a "late movie" time slot, a local channel would show a mixture of episodes from this, Columbo, McCloud, etc. But unlike Columbo and McCloud, this show didn't seem to have a continued syndication/cable presence, so I really have no concrete memories of it.

Still, from what I've read about the series and all of the great guest stars, I'll certainly order Season 1, and hopefully the remaining seasons will be released soon after.

Glad that Timeless is still going to put something out besides compilations of previously released shows. And that it's not yet another western. (Sorry, Gary. No disrespect.) I've bought a couple of their western sets (Stoney Burke and Whiplash) and would buy The Rebel as long as it includes Johnny Cash's theme and not the generic one used in the reruns I've seen on Me-TV. But I really like those all too rare times when Timeless has stepped away from westerns and put out such things as Johnny Staccato, Peter Gunn, Checkmate, Coronado 9, etc.

So I look forward to seeing The Name of the Game for the first time as an adult.

#19 of 171 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,437 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 09:20 AM

Overall, Universal titles from the late 50s to mid-60s have been taken care of pretty much except for the sitcom titles that Timeless chose not to do in the past ("Broadside" comes most to mind). That means the late-60s to 70s requires some more action in the "lesser" title department compared to the major ones that have long since gotten out. I would say "Run For Your Life" and "The Bold Ones" are the most likely titles to make it. If Timeless were unaffiliated with Shout I might have had hope for the unstalling of "Ironside", "Marcus Welby" and "McCloud" which are three more significant Universal titles of this era comparatively speaking but I guess its not likely Shout is going to let their other label finish what they started with the former two, whereas "McCloud" might stand a better chance eventually. Seeing all three main parts of the NBC Mystery Movie completed on DVD at last would be a nice thing to see even if "McCloud" was the weakest of them overall IMO."Switch" and "Baretta", two other seemingly natural possibilities we have heard were lost in the 2008 fire and unless another set of old digital transfers turns up, we won't see those because we all know how Universal feels about not transferring new stuff off the 35mm masters (The final season of "Emergency!" is the only one they went back and did).

#20 of 171 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,437 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 09:24 AM

BTW, someone should tell those people at TImeless that the photo on the box they used has been flipped in the wrong direction because men do not have their handkerchief breast pockets on the right side and the gents have their hair parted in the wrong direction! I do not understand why this kind of mistake happens so often because it should be so easy to spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users