What's new

Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Screen Capture.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really, really wanted to get this (even if it was a complete double dip on the first movie with nothing new at all on that title), until I read the fine print and saw what was missing...

I was really upset with how Paramount treated the original release. So I was hopeful that this release would fix it, but it's missing something important... the IMAX version of the film in 3D!

The film was conceived and created as an IMAX 3D experience. (Yes, it was a post-conversion, but one they planned on as far back as the pre-production stage.) While I'm glad the IMAX version is being released on disc, I'm really disappointed that it is not included in 3D. This movie wasn't even given an IMAX 2D release! (A handful of 15/70 museum theaters showed it in 2D after the initial IMAX run ended, but it wasn't given a wide 2D release in IMAX.)

All I've wanted, from the beginning, was the version that I saw in theaters multiple times last summer. The film's OAR is a 3D shifting aspect ratio between 2.35:1 and 1.66:1 (or 1.90:1 in digital IMAX theaters -- I would accept 1.77:1 for Blu-ray). I just want the movie that I saw in theaters. I don't understand why this is so hard for Paramount to understand.

edit: I know I'm a little curmudgeonly on this topic, and I apologize if it's coming off as harsh (mods I'm happy to edit if needbe) -- just sucks when your favorite movie of the year ends up getting shortchanged on disc not once but twice.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I bought Into Darkness on blu ray on Thanksgiving for $8. I'm interested in this new release, but will wait for more information about the rebate that PHV is going to be offering to those who previously purchased the title.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Josh Steinberg said:
I was really upset with how Paramount treated the original release. So I was hopeful that this release would fix it, but it's missing something important... the IMAX version of the film in 3D!
Don't worry, I'm sure PHV will make it up to fans next year by releasing the IMAX 3-D version as part of a 12-film box set that will allow you to re-buy the same discs you already own of all the other films in the franchise. Perhaps a $5.00-off coupon will be provided for those who purchased The Compendium.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
SD_Brian said:
Don't worry, I'm sure PHV will make it up to fans next year by releasing the IMAX 3-D version as part of a 12-film box set that will allow you to re-buy the same discs you already own of all the other films in the franchise. Perhaps a $5.00-off coupon will be provided for those who purchased The Compendium.
Ha! 2016 right? for the 50th?

It's good that Paramount is issuing a full SE for Into Darkness. The original release of Into Darkness was such a mess in terms of the extras and retailer exclusives.

Great article here from the Digital Bits about the circumstances of this release.. Note Bill also mentions the rebate offer is in the works too.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062314_0600

Hopefully reissues of the original films with new transfers are in the works for 2016 as well.

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I saw this on The Digital Bits a few days ago. I'm holding off to see if they release STID SE as an individual release.

Mr. Jingles

Agent
Real Name
Alex
I at least appreciate when a studio like Paramount makes up for its ommissions and issues a set like this along with word of a possible rebate.

Not all studios act as responsibly.

GregK

Screenwriter
Josh Steinberg said:
I really, really wanted to get this (even if it was a complete double dip on the first movie with nothing new at all on that title), until I read the fine print and saw what was missing...

The film was conceived and created as an IMAX 3D experience. (Yes, it was a post-conversion, but one they planned on as far back as the pre-production stage.) While I'm glad the IMAX version is being released on disc, I'm really disappointed that it is not included in 3D. This movie wasn't even given an IMAX 2D release! (A handful of 15/70 museum theaters showed it in 2D after the initial IMAX run ended, but it wasn't given a wide 2D release in IMAX.)
Agreed on all points. And to add to this, Paramount could have authored an IMAX 3-D bluray version to be 2-D compatible, so one disc could have served both 2-D and 3-D viewers.

As someone else added, this could possibly see the light of day sometime in the future with one of the new movies, but I am not optimistic.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
STAR TREK: THE COMPENDIUM 4-DISC BLU-RAY

Street date: September 9, 2014

Synopsis: Director J.J. Abrams’ global sensations Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness set a course for the ultimate home entertainment package in STAR TREK: THE COMPENDIUM. The set includes four
Blu-ray Discs with both films in sparkling high definition and the IMAX version of Star Trek Into Darkness, along with previously released bonus material and additional, never-before-released footage from Star Trek Into Darkness including a gag reel and new behind-the-scenes featurettes.

Audio & Subtitles:
Star Trek
· English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
· English, English SDH†, French, Spanish & Portuguese Subtitles

Star Trek: Into Darkness
· English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital & English Audio Description
· English, English SDH†, French, Spanish & Portuguese Subtitles

Special Features:
Star Trek
· Commentary by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof & Roberto Orci
· To Boldly Go
· Casting
· A New Vision
· Starships
· Aliens
· Planets
· Props and Costumes
· Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek
· Score
· Gene Roddenberry’s Vision
· Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
· Starfleet Vessel Simulator
· Gag Reel
· Trailers

Star Trek: Into Darkness (IMAX version)
· Enhanced Commentary
· The Voyage Begins…Again
· Creating the Red Planet
· Introducing the Villain
· Rebuilding the Enterprise
· National Ignition Facility: Home of the Core
· Attack on Starfleet
· Aliens Encountered
· The Klingon Home World
· The Enemy of My Enemy
· Vengeance is Coming
· Ship to Ship
· Mr. Spock and Mr. Spock
· Down with the Ship
· Kirk and Spock
· Brawl by the Bay
· Continuing the Mission
· Unlocking the Cut
· The Sound of Music (and FX)
· Visual Affection
· Safety First
· Theatrical Trailers
· Deleted Scenes
· Gag Reel (new)
· Fitting the Future (new)
· Property of Starfleet (new)

S.R.P.:
Blu-ray - $39.99 ($42.99 in Canada)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The Compendium rebate offer details are online now.

From The Digital Bits..

Now then, I know a number of you have been waiting for details on Paramount’s rebate offer on the forthcoming Star Trek: The Compendium Blu-ray set (due 9/9). The official rebate website is now online here, offering anyone who purchased the previous Star Trek (2009) or Star Trek Into Darkness $5 off the new box set. There’s a PDF form you download – once you’ve purchased The Compendium set, you simply fill out the form and include the itemized store receipt (or Amazon invoice) for The Compendium. On the form, you’ll fill in the UPC numbers from the back of the Star Trek (2009) or Star Trek Into Darkness disc(s) you already own. Pretty easy.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So now I can apparently get all the STID extras that had been split into various editions the first time around (in a blatant cash-grabbing attempt). Catch 1: I have to rebuy two movies I already own for $34; 2) There's no 3D? Did I miss something, there's no 3D for STID?

Wait, hold the presses, this just in: There's a $5 (a whole $5) rebate. I'm trying to contain my enthusiasm for this release. No wait, there's no enthusiasm on my part for this release.

If Paramount wanted to repair the bad PR it got for STID, it should a created a disc replacement program for STID and released STID as a single movie with all the extras. To me, this is too little and way to late.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Johnny Angell said:
So now I can apparently get all the STID extras that had been split into various editions the first time around (in a blatant cash-grabbing attempt). Catch 1: I have to rebuy two movies I already own for $34; 2) There's no 3D? Did I miss something, there's no 3D for STID?
Yeah, that's pretty much the deal.

The premiere version of the film, which was released in IMAX 3D, is not going to be available in the home market as it was theatrically. You can either get this release which includes the IMAX version in 2D (a version that never saw any kind of official wide release), or you can get the cropped 3D version from the previous release..

But if you're someone like me, who paid to see the film in IMAX 3D at least half a dozen times last summer, who just wants to see what he saw in theaters at home, that's not being made available for home customers. And I think it sucks.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
We should applaud them for listening to our demands. I held off purchasing STID, hoping one day we would see something like this. Not perfect, but IMAX + all the special features? JACKPOT.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My complaint is simply that I can't get the version of the film I saw in theaters.

I think the $5 rebate is a nice offer. I think it would be a nicer offer if this release was just Star Trek Into Darkness at a lower price point, instead of including the two disc edition of Star Trek (2009) that is the exact same discs that many people already own. I appreciate that Paramount has attempted to re-do their earlier mistakes on this title, but am really bummed that they still haven't gotten it right.

I suspect there would be more of an outcry if the IMAX version of STID was included with mono audio only, even though the surround sound tracks exist. And that's how I feel about it being released in 2D only, when it was a very prominent IMAX 3D release.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Brian Dobbs said:
We should applaud them for listening to our demands. I held off purchasing STID, hoping one day we would see something like this. Not perfect, but IMAX + all the special features? JACKPOT.
What is the sound of one hand clapping?
Neil S. Bulk said:
Wait, Paramount is issuing a cash refund and people are complaining?
Yeah, some of us are. This edition is way to little and too late and too expensive. I suppose if you've never bought the movies before and aren't interested in 3D, then this is the edition for you. But $34 to buy movies I always own and no 3D? Gimme a break. The $5 rebate is laughable. What they should do is replace my 3D edition with a new disc containing iMax formatted 3D, plus a 2D blu-ray, plus all the damn extras that they previously spread around. I send in the old disc and they send me the new one. That fixes the problem they created. I'm speaking of STID only.

Even if this is the edition you want, why should you have had to wait so long? Because Paramount thought they had a sure-fire way to suck every last drop out of the consumers wallet. I'm not familiar with the sales figures for STID, so maybe it worked, maybe they made a boatload of money. And here they are again wanting more.

This fiasco is one of those things that illustrate how completely tone-deaf and detached they are from the customer-base the studios are. The customer base of this release consists of those who don't already own the moves, don't want 3D, or the must have every single extra ever produced. Some of that customer base is too pissed to buy this, but some will.

To each his own.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Johnny Angell said:
What is the sound of one hand clapping? Yeah, some of us are. This edition is way to little and too late and too expensive. I suppose if you've never bought the movies before and aren't interested in 3D, then this is the edition for you. But $34 to buy movies I always own and no 3D? Gimme a break. The $5 rebate is laughable. What they should do is replace my 3D edition with a new disc containing iMax formatted 3D, plus a 2D blu-ray, plus all the damn extras that they previously spread around. I send in the old disc and they send me the new one. That fixes the problem they created. I'm speaking of STID only.Yeah. I have into darkness and 2009 already. Essentially I'm buying the set for extras of one film. Not real motivating. Even if this is the edition you want, why should you have had to wait so long? Because Paramount thought they had a sure-fire way to suck every last drop out of the consumers wallet. I'm not familiar with the sales figures for STID, so maybe it worked, maybe they made a boatload of money. And here they are again wanting more. This fiasco is one of those things that illustrate how completely tone-deaf and detached they are from the customer-base the studios are. The customer base of this release consists of those who don't already own the moves, don't want 3D, or the must have every single extra ever produced. Some of that customer base is too pissed to buy this, but some will. To each his own.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Just some FYI,

I was in my local Walmart today, and they had the Compendium set for $24.96.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Some points not discussed in this thread:

1) J.J. Abrams made no effort at all to direct this movie with 3D in mind. The movie is all shaky-cam and rapid-fire cut-cut-cut-cut-cut-cut-cut spastic editing, both of which are nauseating in 3D.

2) J.J. Abrams also made little effort to use the variable IMAX aspect ratio to any artistic purpose. Every shot is obviously composed for 2.40: with a lot of dead space above and below the important action. Many scenes flitter back and forth from one ratio to the other shot-to-shot-to-shot, which is extremely annoying.

3) The "Enhanced Commentary" is the only worthwhile new bonus feature in the Compendium box set. The other long list of new featurettes are all 2-5 minute promotional EPK fluff. "We had the best time making this movie! This is going to be the most awesome movie you've ever seen!!!"

Unless you're a completist Trek collector or a die-hard fan of this particular installment, the previous (2D) Blu-ray should be more than enough to suffice for most viewers.

YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks