Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (1966) (Blu-ray) Preorder

Kino

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 09:26 AM

MPW-29441.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 498 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted June 27 2014 - 11:36 AM

Pre-Ordered.  Never saw this one but heard lots about it.   Has Phil Silvers so it has to be good.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,281 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 27 2014 - 11:48 AM

It's not terrible, and it retains two original Broadway cast members (Zero Mostel and Jack Gilford), but it loses 2/3rds of the score.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2014 - 11:52 AM

One of my all time favorites. Ordered. Thanks.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,475 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 27 2014 - 12:28 PM

I always wondered if Phil Silvers had any regrets when he was making this film playing the fourth lead that he had turned down the leading role in the original Broadway version. I think I remember reading that he was second to be asked after Milton Berle.

Anyway, years later, he went on to do a Broadway revival of the show and won his second Tony Award for his performance.

• Mark Walker likes this

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2014 - 12:59 PM

I always wondered if Phil Silvers had any regrets when he was making this film playing the fourth lead that he had turned down the leading role in the original Broadway version. I think I remember reading that he was second to be asked after Milton Berle.

Anyway, years later, he went on to do a Broadway revival of the show and won his second Tony Award for his performance.

I actually saw him in that role on my first trip to NYC. I also saw Follies and No No Nanette that week. I was spoiled my first trip there.
  • Matt Hough likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:08 PM

Ordered

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,391 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:10 PM

Not sure about his feelings for this film. I personally feel it showcased his strengths very well. He has some of the film's best moments.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:10 PM

gallery_269895_23_8784.jpg

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,475 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:11 PM

I actually saw him in that role on my first trip to NYC. I also saw Follies and No No Nanette that week. I was spoiled my first trip there.

What a way to begin your Broadway indoctrination! I never saw the Silvers production, but I did see Follies and Nanette. Never to be forgotten theatrical milestones!

• ahollis likes this

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,236 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:18 PM

As different as the Broadway revival and this movie were from each other, I still have fond memories of Zero Mostel's performance here as Psudolus...along with Sondheim's sardonic score...

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:52 PM

That cover has the IAMMMMW feel.
  • MatthewA and darkrock17 like this

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:50 PM

I prefer the poster art at the start of this thread, it's the one that was used in the UK. Zero Mostel owns this film, he's firing on all cylinders all of the time. And I love Michael Hordern in it.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,539 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 27 2014 - 11:44 PM

Shame about the missing songs but the movie is still very enjoyable.

How could you go wrong with Mostel, Silvers and Keaton.

It's a no brainer for me.

It's the first time I took serious notice of Michael Crawford.

Who would have thought he would later conquer the world with "Phantom Of The Opera".

When I first saw it at the Cinema I'm sure it contained at least one other song.

Was there a longer version at some time? 

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:47 AM

This is a hugely entertaining film. My only qualm is that the musical numbers are cut in a manner that does not allow us to watch the dancing play out. The old Rogers/Astaire and Gene Kelly films made sure you enjoyed uninterrupted takes of the beautiful dancers and their incomparable skills head-to-foot, Today's musicals by the likes of Baz Luhrmann and Rob Marshall are edited like ARMAGEDDON, and although they work up some visual energy by cutting to the beat of the music, using quick close-ups of feet, then torsos, then legs, then asses, etc. I still miss being able to see real, unfettered choreography. Maybe the fast cutting, an early example of which occurs during the musical numbers in FORUM, is used to camouflage the lack of skill these post Rogers/Astaire/Kelly performers possess.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,281 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 28 2014 - 10:23 AM

This is a hugely entertaining film. My only qualm is that the musical numbers are cut in a manner that does not allow us to watch the dancing play out. The old Rogers/Astaire and Gene Kelly films made sure you enjoyed uninterrupted takes of the beautiful dancers and their incomparable skills head-to-foot, Today's musicals by the likes of Baz Luhrmann and Rob Marshall are edited like ARMAGEDDON, and although they work up some visual energy by cutting to the beat of the music, using quick close-ups of feet, then torsos, then legs, then asses, etc. I still miss being able to see real, unfettered choreography. Maybe the fast cutting, an early example of which occurs during the musical numbers in FORUM, is used to camouflage the lack of skill these post Rogers/Astaire/Kelly performers possess.

That was the first thing on my mind when I saw Jersey Boys last night.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 28 2014 - 03:56 PM

That cover has the IAMMMMW feel.

Jack Davis did both posters, so I'm guessing he thought since a large group running worked for Mad it would do the same for this film too. 

• ahollis likes this

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 28 2014 - 08:25 PM

Jack Davis did both posters, so I'm guessing he thought since a large group running worked for Mad it would do the same for this film too.

Funny, I never saw that poster only the one with the Forum on Zero's shoulders. Glad to know both posters were from the same artist.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 29 2014 - 09:05 AM

Funny, I never saw that poster only the one with the Forum on Zero's shoulders. Glad to know both posters were from the same artist.

I can't say that Jack Davis did both the Forum posters, but he did both IAMMMMW and one of the posters for Forum though.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,391 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:22 PM

I've actually never seen that Davis poster. It'll be good to have it. Well, that and Mad World share two stars so it's not so weird. An unofficial sequel? Nah, but fun anyway. I honestly like the chariot chases at the end, though some don't because it gets away from the play. The chases are more lunatic than anything in Mad World.

I'm not expecting much from the blu. Do any deleted scenes even exist? What else could they offer as extras. Doesn't seem to be much. I thought the DVD transfer was about as good as it's gonna get for this particular title. You'll recall that the old vhs was all out of proportion in the final reel, but the DVD fixed that. Sound could do with an upgrade. This flick was largely overdubbed in the studio after filming. It's never sounded very good to me. But I don't think there's anything they can really do to enhance it. I think it was sort of regarded as a B picture by the studio...it has the look and sound of one. That's just the way it is, in comparison with all the very opulent musicals that are its contemporaries. Kind of the poor cousin to Hello Dolly and such. But I love it anyway. It was probably the first musical I was ever able to sit through as a child, just because even a five year old can understand its silliness and slapstick...as opposed to the heaviness of a few other musicals like South Pacific or Carousel. Maybe Forum was my introduction to the Broadway musical on film genre?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users