What's new

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (1966) (Blu-ray) Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

MPW-29441.jpeg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's not terrible, and it retains two original Broadway cast members (Zero Mostel and Jack Gilford), but it loses 2/3rds of the score.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I always wondered if Phil Silvers had any regrets when he was making this film playing the fourth lead that he had turned down the leading role in the original Broadway version. I think I remember reading that he was second to be asked after Milton Berle.

Anyway, years later, he went on to do a Broadway revival of the show and won his second Tony Award for his performance.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Matt Hough said:
I always wondered if Phil Silvers had any regrets when he was making this film playing the fourth lead that he had turned down the leading role in the original Broadway version. I think I remember reading that he was second to be asked after Milton Berle.Anyway, years later, he went on to do a Broadway revival of the show and won his second Tony Award for his performance.
I actually saw him in that role on my first trip to NYC. I also saw Follies and No No Nanette that week. I was spoiled my first trip there.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Matt Hough said:
I always wondered if Phil Silvers had any regrets when he was making this film playing the fourth lead that he had turned down the leading role in the original Broadway version. I think I remember reading that he was second to be asked after Milton Berle.Anyway, years later, he went on to do a Broadway revival of the show and won his second Tony Award for his performance.
Not sure about his feelings for this film. I personally feel it showcased his strengths very well. He has some of the film's best moments.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
I actually saw him in that role on my first trip to NYC. I also saw Follies and No No Nanette that week. I was spoiled my first trip there.
What a way to begin your Broadway indoctrination! I never saw the Silvers production, but I did see Follies and Nanette. Never to be forgotten theatrical milestones!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
As different as the Broadway revival and this movie were from each other, I still have fond memories of Zero Mostel's performance here as Psudolus...along with Sondheim's sardonic score...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I prefer the poster art at the start of this thread, it's the one that was used in the UK. Zero Mostel owns this film, he's firing on all cylinders all of the time. And I love Michael Hordern in it.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Shame about the missing songs but the movie is still very enjoyable.
How could you go wrong with Mostel, Silvers and Keaton.
It's a no brainer for me.

It's the first time I took serious notice of Michael Crawford.
Who would have thought he would later conquer the world with "Phantom Of The Opera".

When I first saw it at the Cinema I'm sure it contained at least one other song.
Was there a longer version at some time?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is a hugely entertaining film. My only qualm is that the musical numbers are cut in a manner that does not allow us to watch the dancing play out. The old Rogers/Astaire and Gene Kelly films made sure you enjoyed uninterrupted takes of the beautiful dancers and their incomparable skills head-to-foot, Today's musicals by the likes of Baz Luhrmann and Rob Marshall are edited like ARMAGEDDON, and although they work up some visual energy by cutting to the beat of the music, using quick close-ups of feet, then torsos, then legs, then asses, etc. I still miss being able to see real, unfettered choreography. Maybe the fast cutting, an early example of which occurs during the musical numbers in FORUM, is used to camouflage the lack of skill these post Rogers/Astaire/Kelly performers possess.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Dick said:
This is a hugely entertaining film. My only qualm is that the musical numbers are cut in a manner that does not allow us to watch the dancing play out. The old Rogers/Astaire and Gene Kelly films made sure you enjoyed uninterrupted takes of the beautiful dancers and their incomparable skills head-to-foot, Today's musicals by the likes of Baz Luhrmann and Rob Marshall are edited like ARMAGEDDON, and although they work up some visual energy by cutting to the beat of the music, using quick close-ups of feet, then torsos, then legs, then asses, etc. I still miss being able to see real, unfettered choreography. Maybe the fast cutting, an early example of which occurs during the musical numbers in FORUM, is used to camouflage the lack of skill these post Rogers/Astaire/Kelly performers possess.
That was the first thing on my mind when I saw Jersey Boys last night.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
darkrock17 said:
Jack Davis did both posters, so I'm guessing he thought since a large group running worked for Mad it would do the same for this film too.
Funny, I never saw that poster only the one with the Forum on Zero's shoulders. Glad to know both posters were from the same artist.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
ahollis said:
Funny, I never saw that poster only the one with the Forum on Zero's shoulders. Glad to know both posters were from the same artist.
I can't say that Jack Davis did both the Forum posters, but he did both IAMMMMW and one of the posters for Forum though.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I've actually never seen that Davis poster. It'll be good to have it. Well, that and Mad World share two stars so it's not so weird. An unofficial sequel? Nah, but fun anyway. I honestly like the chariot chases at the end, though some don't because it gets away from the play. The chases are more lunatic than anything in Mad World.I'm not expecting much from the blu. Do any deleted scenes even exist? What else could they offer as extras. Doesn't seem to be much. I thought the DVD transfer was about as good as it's gonna get for this particular title. You'll recall that the old vhs was all out of proportion in the final reel, but the DVD fixed that. Sound could do with an upgrade. This flick was largely overdubbed in the studio after filming. It's never sounded very good to me. But I don't think there's anything they can really do to enhance it. I think it was sort of regarded as a B picture by the studio...it has the look and sound of one. That's just the way it is, in comparison with all the very opulent musicals that are its contemporaries. Kind of the poor cousin to Hello Dolly and such. But I love it anyway. It was probably the first musical I was ever able to sit through as a child, just because even a five year old can understand its silliness and slapstick...as opposed to the heaviness of a few other musicals like South Pacific or Carousel. Maybe Forum was my introduction to the Broadway musical on film genre?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks