What's new

Snowpiercer..Chris Evans Sci-Fi Sleeper Hit? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This one looks great. Getting great buzz. ChrisEvans in a sci fi spectacular. Plot outline:In this sci-fi epic from director Bong Joon Ho (The Host, Mother), a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet. The final survivors board the SNOWPIERCER, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine. When cryptic messages incite the passengers to revolt, the train thrusts full-throttle towards disaster.http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/Opens in limited theaters this week and wide next week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It has a chance to be a sleeper hit if people give it a try (and if it gets an expanded release). But I think it's got a few things working against it out of the gate:

[*]The title (Snowpiercer sounds kind of like a SyFy movie-of-the-week title, like a sequel to Ice Spiders, maybe with scorpions?).
[/list]
[*]The basic premise sounds kind of odd. The last remnants of humanity band together to survive, so they ... board a train?
[/list]
[*]It's opening in very limited release vs. Transformers 4. This seems more like a niche fall release that is likely to get steamrolled in the summer. Maybe it's payback by Weinstein for the director's refusal to edit the film?
[/list]

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Tino said:
This one looks great. Getting great buzz. ChrisEvans in a sci fi spectacular.Plot outline:In this sci-fi epic from director Bong Joon Ho (The Host, Mother), a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet. The final survivors board the SNOWPIERCER, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine. When cryptic messages incite the passengers to revolt, the train thrusts full-throttle towards disaster.http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/Opens in limited theaters this week and wide next week.
SNOWPIERCER is one of the best films of the year.I saw the film several months ago. All my friends are raving over it. An amazing film set in the future and entirely on a train that never stops moving.Lots of suspense all the way. Very unusual (and somewhat farfetched) story. This masterpiece is UNMISSABLE. South Korea have for many years, made some of the best films in the world. I am forever buying them on the internet.They know how to write good screenplays that are unpredictable . Often the ending is a total surprise. When was the last time that the USA made a blockbuster film that was not forgettable? Another recent disaster film from China (only the second from there in Imax) and in 3-D is INFERNO. This is about a skyscraper that is on fire. Brilliant acting screenplay and directing make this the best film of the year.This is a must see film. Brilliant.Asian make better 'blockbusters' than the USA.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
"Perpetual motion"?? That's less plausible than having them teleport instantaneously to another planet light years away.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
The trailer sounded thrilling music almost reminded of the Elysium trailer.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If doesn't look like a bad film, but I find the premise of a train endlessly circling the world with a stratified human society just too ludicrous to suspend disbelief. It's even worse if a person has ever worked on trains, since a person knows how vulnerable trains are to mechanical failure, track outages and the like. I also cannot quite figure how riding a train endlessly around a frozen planet allows the human species to survive.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Edwin-S said:
If doesn't look like a bad film, but I find the premise of a train endlessly circling the world with a stratified human society just too ludicrous to suspend disbelief. It's even worse if a person has ever worked on trains, since a person knows how vulnerable trains are to mechanical failure, track outages and the like. I also cannot quite figure how riding a train endlessly around a frozen planet allows the human species to survive.
Just see this truly amazing film,despite the story not always being feasible,. It is truly unpredictable and nail-biting suspense. Quite possibly it is the most brilliant and unusual blockbuster in many years. Hollywood films were never this good. The unexpected ending is brilliant. I have the dvd and all my friends and their friends have raved over the film. Considering that there has not been decent blockbuster from The USA in years,this film is a much welcome surprise. Also search for the dvd of the recent Chinese Imax 3-D film (as previously mentioned) OUT OF INFERNO. Brilliant from start to finish with a similar but superior, story to THE TOWERING INFERNO

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
cinerama10 said:
SNOWPIERCER is one of the best films of the year.I saw the film several months ago. All my friends are raving over it. An amazing film set in the future and entirely on a train that never stops moving.Lots of suspense all the way. Very unusual (and somewhat farfetched) story. This masterpiece is UNMISSABLE. South Korea have for many years, made some of the best films in the world. I am forever buying them on the internet.They know how to write good screenplays that are unpredictable . Often the ending is a total surprise. When was the last time that the USA made a blockbuster film that was not forgettable? Another recent disaster film from China (only the second from there in Imax) and in 3-D is INFERNO. This is about a skyscraper that is on fire. Brilliant acting screenplay and directing make this the best film of the year.This is a must see film. Brilliant.Asian make better 'blockbusters' than the USA.
Sorry, INFERNO should have been called OUT OF INFERNO

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
cinerama10 said:
Just see this truly amazing film,despite the story not always being feasible,. It is truly unpredictable and nail-biting suspense. Quite possibly it is the most brilliant and unusual blockbuster in many years. Hollywood films were never this good. The unexpected ending is brilliant. I have the dvd and all my friends and their friends have raved over the film. Considering that there has not been decent blockbuster from The USA in years,this film is a much welcome surprise. Also search for the dvd of the recent Chinese Imax 3-D film (as previously mentioned) OUT OF INFERNO. Brilliant from start to finish with a similar but superior, story to THE TOWERING INFERNO
Well, if I could look past all of the stupidity surrounding trains in Kurosawa's "Runaway Train" then I suppose I can get past any issues I would have with this film. I'll keep it in mind when it comes out on BD. Very few Asian cinema films ever make it into a theatre where I live.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Still unable to find out any info as to whether this film will be playing near me. Very frustrating.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I love this film so damn much. It really ranks up among the best visionary SF action-movies ever made. This is something that George Miller, Paul Verhoeven, or Terry Gilliam would've made in their prime...although it never feels derivative of its post-apocalyptic influences.

The fact that a genre movie this original and exciting -- with one of the biggest bankable stars currently in Hollywood -- is regulated to a handful of theaters across the country while everyone I know plops down cash to see the latest Transformers flick is the saddest fucking thing I can think of in geek culture right now.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there a fight between the director and the distributor over cutting the film? The distributor (Weinstein?) wanted to edit it and the director said no, so after a massive fight the director got his way, but then Weinstein(?) went out of his way to screw up the distribution. Or am I confusing this film with something else?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
You're largely right -- at one point, there existed a cut of the film that was some 20 minutes shorter (according to Bong Joon-ho in this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly) that was produced at Harvey Weinstein's insistence. Luckily, we now have the full, 2hr. 6min. version in release, albeit a limited one -- the director's vision won out in the end.

Evans is so damn good in this. He delivers a line that could have had the audience howling with laughter, if it wasn't done perfectly. Also, it's the one line that Harvey apparently really wanted to cut. You'll know it when you see the movie.

(The film leaves you angry, inspired, and exhilarated all at the same time. And Tilda Swinton is the best Yorkshire-accented villain since Brian Glover in Kes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks