What's new

Opportunity to buy used (1 Viewer)

Mark Hoelscher

Auditioning
So I know a guy at a local audiovisual resale store and he knows the kind of things that I am looking for and here is the deal that was presented to me. Denon AVR-590And a Boston Acoustics MCS 100 5.1 speaker package He is asking $150 What do you guys think and will that receiver have an arc

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
That's not a bad deal.

You'll want a different subwoofer (the one with that system is pretty crappy), but $100 at parts express can get you a decent Dayton. The rest of the speakers aren't anything special, but they aren't bad, either.

The AVR does not have ARC, but really, that shouldn't matter. Nine times out of ten, ARC either doesn't work at all, or doesn't solve the problem. If you absolutely HAVE to get audio from the TV, then just use a $3 toslink cable to connect your TV output to the AVR. No loss in signal quality over HDMI/ARC and a LOT fewer headaches.

The Denon has some nice features like video upconversion if you have any non-HDMI sources.

What sources are you planning to connect to this receiver?

If this is your first receiver, are you aware that all of your devices should be connected to the receiver (and NOT the TV) for the best audio/video experience? With a decent receiver and speaker setup, your TV becomes nothing more than a monitor (smart apps being the most common exception - and the Toslink should work for those).

Mark Hoelscher

Auditioning
That's my main question is do I need arc. This is my second receiver I currently have an onkyo tx-sr506 and it does not run lossless audio through the hdmi so I'm wondering if I could do that with this that's the main reason I want to purchase this if it will do so. Also what would you recommend for a subwoofer?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I agree with Sam on the sub options. Since you're getting a good deal on the bulk of the system, I'd definitely try to get the F12 if your budget will allow.

Mark Hoelscher

Auditioning
So you think the f12 will have good sounding bass. Currently I have an old kenwood sub and the speaker tore itself apart so I put a Polk car sub in it and it hits hard but it's alright but it's not as tight as I would like it to be.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Currently I have an old Kenwood sub and the speaker tore itself apart so I put a Polk car sub in it and it hits hard but it's alright but it's not as tight as I would like it to be.
That makes sense as the Kenwood enclosure was not tuned for the Polk driver.
So you think the f12 will have good sounding bass.
It'll be decent and almost certainly better that the Kenwood. Keep in mind that a sub is best at "sub-bass", so more boom than anything else; instruments like a kick drum and tuba. If you are more interested in music reproduction that home theater use, I recommend using bookshelf speakers instead of satellites.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or...Use the included sub as an MBM* and buy an external crossover ($100-150) to separate bass from mid-bass. *Mid-bass module. HSU has one intended for this purpose if you need further clarification.

Mark Hoelscher

Auditioning
So what am I looking for in an external crossover and does it just split the RCA from the sub out and let you control the frequency of two outputs separately?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Damn, giving them away now.To the OP, yes.Your sub out goes to the crossover. It splits up the 20-120 between the sub and MBM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks