• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,217 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:37 AM

Just bought this great receiver but have always been confused as to whether I should have the audio settings on my blu ray on bit stream or PCM. Can someone explain which and why? Thanks
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 6 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,161 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 03:03 AM

If you think your BR player has the better decoder, use PCM, if you think your receiver has the better decoder, use bit stream.  (Or if you like your receiver to display the actual channel information, use bit stream; otherwise it will always display "PCM".)

So bottome line, try it both ways and see which you like better.  Chances are you won't notice the difference (unless your receiver can't decode bluray audio).

#3 of 6 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,588 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:14 AM

Many BD players won't send multichannel PCM anymore.

Anymore, the only reason to use PCM is when the BD player is sending audio to a TV or a 2.0/1 soundbar.

#4 of 6 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,217 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Al. So Schan you are saying I should set it to bitstream?

#5 of 6 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,696 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 27 2014 - 05:52 PM

Bitstream is pretty much the default setting. You should have a specific reason for setting it to LPCM. Examples would be if you have a very high end BR player ( Oppo 105 ?) which should have better Digital to Analog converters then your receiver, or an older hdmi 1.2 receiver which is un-able to decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio. When the player is set to LPCM then it decodes those signals before sending them to the receiver. When the player is set to Bitstream it sends the raw "bitstream" to the receiver which then does the decoding.

But, as Al mentioned, no harm in trying it both ways to see if LPCM sounds better to you (but there probably won't be any difference at all).

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 6 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,217 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 27 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users