What's new

Assembling a HT first time (1 Viewer)

svp

Auditioning
Real Name
Sergey
Dear members,

I am planning to assemble a home theater. By the grace of powers unknown, I am in a possession of an old Optoma projector and Denon Ceol Piccolo amplifier. I cannot use the amplifier's audio in, because this is for the vinyl player, so I can either use the digital in or DLNA. My computers are Windows, my mobile devices are Android.

I'd like to use my laptop and/or tablet (with HDMI slot) to play videos. Here are the combinations I was thinking of using:
a) Laptop -HDMI-> splitter -> audio goes to amplifier, HDMI goes to the projector. If I want to play from another device, replace laptop with another device. Benefits: if laptop can play it, it's fine. Costs: plugging and unplugging laptop, no way of streaming wirelessly
b) Laptop -HDMI-> projector, StreamWhatYouHear audio to Piccolo, use VLC to correct for lag. Benefits: if laptop can play it, it's fine, no need to buy stuff. costs: adjusting lag is super annoying
c) A standalone DLNA box that can take the stream from the laptop (or whatever) and give away audio to the Piccolo and the video to the projector. This thing seems the right one, but it seems sold out in the UK. This would be pretty much like a), only instead of the splitter, I get a computer in the middle. Pros: no need to wire laptop to the projector, the box can probably be controlled to play youtube and stuff by itself Cons: not sure which standalone box to get, the standalone box probably plays less video formats than VLC

In ample time, I might replace the Piccolo with a 5.1 system, and I might want to add PS3 or XBOX in all of that, but we are not there yet. Therefore, the questions for you are:
1) What would be a good DLNA box to get? Needed (in the order of importance): ability to send video to HDMI, audio to Piccolo; be able to play stuff by itself; ability to play stuff streamed from (say) desktop in another room
2) Is there a software video player (VLC seems to be not working with DLNA in the current version) that could stream audio to DLNA? StreamWhatYouHear gives lags, no-lagging alternative would be great (no need for the splitter then).
3) Does it make sense to go into Raspberry Pi options? I never soldered anything, and it does not seem I can save money that way...
4) Any other comments/suggestions?
[added later] 5) Would a TiVo box work as a DLNA box from option c?

Best,
Sergey.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not sure you need DLNA components as much as you think you do. DLNA is just a client/server protocol for media transfer. I use it because I want to keep all my autio/video on a server and play the files on multiple devices. It works, but is faily "fragile". (In my case a NAS acts as the server and my Bluray players act as video clients (for movies) and my receivers act as audio clients (for music).

I think what you're looking for is a media streamer. It uses file access (not client/server) to retrieve the file, and then send the decoded signal to spcific devices (your TV and/or amp). Something like this; http://www.amazon.com/Live-Media-Player-Wi-fi-1080p/dp/B005KOZNBW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403782844&sr=1-3&keywords=media+streamer.

If I misread your post and you are really looking for both kinds of functionality, QNAP makes a nice NAS with HDMI streaming capability. http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-469L-4-Bay-SATA-3Gbps/dp/B008TTX4XO/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403783111&sr=1-8&keywords=qnap+nas

svp

Auditioning
Real Name
Sergey
Al, thanks! This WD thing makes sense, and it has the optical output... I wish there was something like this with HDMI input (for TiVo and whatnot).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks