Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha RX-V675 and Access Error with Pandora

Best Answer kevin45244 , August 17 2014 - 08:20 AM

I am unsure of the exact root cause, but after getting ready to beat the RX-V577 with a sledgehammer after it would only get through ONE Pandora song before throwing the "Access error" BS is this:

Logged in to the cable modem/router/wireless combo unit "Ubee DDW-3611" that my ISP provided.  Looked at the settings for wireless.  I have all of the default settings in place (except, of course, for the SSID and key).  The setting is WPA2-PSK w/ TKIP AND AES.  It is set for 802.11b, g, and n support.

Every deivce I own, that has wireless of any generation, works fine with this ISP combo unit.  Except for the RX-V577.

I checked to make sure that all defaults were in place, and they were.  I got angry again and figured that Yamaha has put a cheaper-than-cheap wireless module into the unit (because that's how profit is made these days).

I found an old 802.11 b/g router (TP-Link something-or-other) and cleaned the dust off.  I configured the old wireless router to simply pull the WAN address via DHCP (as it is defaulted to from factory) and set the wireless up for B/G with WPA2-PSK encryption with only AES.  Plugged the WAN into one of the ISP router's switch ports.

Configured the RX-V577 to connect with the credentials I set and it works flawlessly.  No errors in three days.

I want to encourage Yamaha to find a solution for this problem, but you know how it goes.  Unless they get 1000 complaints from people using something other than the router brand of my ISP combo unit, they won't even address it.  Not worth my time.

Thought I'd help you, though.  I'm curious, what brand/model of router/access point do you have, and what are the settings for it (meaning key type, AES/TKIP or just one of the above, is it b/g/n or just b/g, those types of things)?  If I can find commonalities, I can try and find a work-around that doesn't involve another router on the network. :)

Your help would be appreciated. flashover.

- Kev

Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   flashover

flashover

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:23 AM

I know this has been addressed in previous topics, but none of the answers seem to fit my problem exactly so here goes.  
I bought the Yamaha RX-V675 several months ago to replace a receiver I have in my pool house to broadcast music around my pool.  We like to stream Pandora around the pool and I have found that although the wireless extender I am using stays connected to the internet just fine the problem seems to lie with the receiver losing connection from the Wifi Extender.  

Inside the house (which is less than 20 feet away).  The wifi extender (Netgear WN2000RPT) I am using that is hard wired to the Yamaha receiver via CATV5.  Initially I get the connection fixed by unplugging the CATV5 cable from the back of the Yamaha and then plug it back in and then it seems like it initializes and starts up Pandora.  If I shut the system down and come back a day later it seems like it goes back to the same status and we start the process all over. My Network Standby feature is switched on on the Yamaha, but it seems to still sleep or lose connection which causes the access error on the Yamaha. I have reset my original router and the wifi extender and even the receiver and continue to have the same issue over and over again.  I was wondering if anyone else on here might have had the same issue and what they did to resolve it.  

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   kevin45244

kevin45244

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 08:20 AM   Best Answer

I am unsure of the exact root cause, but after getting ready to beat the RX-V577 with a sledgehammer after it would only get through ONE Pandora song before throwing the "Access error" BS is this:

Logged in to the cable modem/router/wireless combo unit "Ubee DDW-3611" that my ISP provided.  Looked at the settings for wireless.  I have all of the default settings in place (except, of course, for the SSID and key).  The setting is WPA2-PSK w/ TKIP AND AES.  It is set for 802.11b, g, and n support.

Every deivce I own, that has wireless of any generation, works fine with this ISP combo unit.  Except for the RX-V577.

I checked to make sure that all defaults were in place, and they were.  I got angry again and figured that Yamaha has put a cheaper-than-cheap wireless module into the unit (because that's how profit is made these days).

I found an old 802.11 b/g router (TP-Link something-or-other) and cleaned the dust off.  I configured the old wireless router to simply pull the WAN address via DHCP (as it is defaulted to from factory) and set the wireless up for B/G with WPA2-PSK encryption with only AES.  Plugged the WAN into one of the ISP router's switch ports.

Configured the RX-V577 to connect with the credentials I set and it works flawlessly.  No errors in three days.

I want to encourage Yamaha to find a solution for this problem, but you know how it goes.  Unless they get 1000 complaints from people using something other than the router brand of my ISP combo unit, they won't even address it.  Not worth my time.

Thought I'd help you, though.  I'm curious, what brand/model of router/access point do you have, and what are the settings for it (meaning key type, AES/TKIP or just one of the above, is it b/g/n or just b/g, those types of things)?  If I can find commonalities, I can try and find a work-around that doesn't involve another router on the network. :)

Your help would be appreciated. flashover.

- Kev

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   flashover

flashover

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 08:30 AM

Kevin,

Thanks for the response.  UPDATE**** After much tracking and trying everything I could think to move forward I decided to call Yamaha Tech Support again.  This time I guess I got a lot more knowledgeable individual on the phone.  He first asked me what kind of wifi extender I was using, to which I informed him of the Linsys wifi extender and he proceeded to tell me that he had almost the same exact setup and experienced the exact same issues and all was resolved with configuring an Apple Airport Express in place of my Linksys.  I purchased the Apple Express and have been going two solid weeks with no breaks in communication between the receiver and wifi extender or router.  I think the issue was with the linksys wifi extender and the fact that it kept losing connection with my router inside the main house. Hope this helps.

Flashover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users