What's new

Replace Infinity plate amp or buy new sub? (1 Viewer)

mediopolis

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hi,

Quick question... I have an old Infinity BU-120 subwoofer from 2000 that has a bad plate amp. Replacing the caps on it solved nothing as there must be other issues. I found a few others who purchased a new plate amp for $125 from parts express that worked.

$125 Replacement amp = Yung SD200-6 200W Class D

I found a used Polk PSW505 12" sub on ebay for $100 used. So i am wondering if I should just buy the Polk instead? Is the Polk better than the infinity, or vise versa in anyones opinion?

Thanks!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
mediopolis said:
Hi,

Quick question... I have an old Infinity BU-120 subwoofer from 2000 that has a bad plate amp. Replacing the caps on it solved nothing as there must be other issues. I found a few others who purchased a new plate amp for $125 from parts express that worked.

$125 Replacement amp = Yung SD200-6 200W Class D

I found a used Polk PSW505 12" sub on ebay for $100 used. So i am wondering if I should just buy the Polk instead? Is the Polk better than the infinity, or vise versa in anyones opinion?

Thanks!
I have no direct experience of your subwoofer but the specs for the Polk are decent and for $100 it seems a decent buy, obviously spending more gets you better but if it's a choice of buying the Polk or replacing parts for your Infinity i'd take the Polk.

I guess it all depends on what you want to pay and how loud you like to go, at reference levels i suspect most of these smaller subs will distort badly but at reasonable listening levels i think they will be okay for the price.

mediopolis

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
cool. Thanks for the input. I think i will get the Polk, since its just for my computer setup and not my home theater. Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Polk would be a lateral move IMHO and their amps are no better than Infinity's, but just for a computer, should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.