What's new

Cinerama digital restoration videos-Seven Wonders & Search for Paradise (1 Viewer)

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
I thought many folks who visit this forum might like to get an advance look at the latest videos we have done on the reconstruction and digital restorations of Seven Wonders of the World (1956) and Search For Paradise (1957). The restoration videos will be included along with a host of other great extras for these releases (listed below) that are currently scheduled for this November.

Flicker Ally announcement
http://www.flickeralley.com/blog/releases/new-blog-entry/

Here are the High Def versions (may take 15 to 25 minutes to load up but you see more details)

http://www.davidstrohmaier.com/XFILE/Restoration%207W%20Final-iPad%20and%20iPhone%204.m4v

http://www.davidstrohmaier.com/XFILE/Restoration%20SFPfinal-iPad%20and%20iPhone%204.m4v

Here is the Standard Def -easy loading versions:
http://www.davidstrohmaier.com/XFILE/Restoration%207W%20Final-iPhone.m4v

http://www.davidstrohmaier.com/XFILE/Restoration%20SFPfinal-iPad%20and%20iPhone%204-iPhone.m4v

Some of the other extras will include:

7 Wonders
Trailers
TV trailers
Breakdown reel with Lowell Thomas
Opening night newsreel in NY
A new documentary on the Cinerama composers called: Best In the Biz
Cinerama Everywhere -a B&W original short on the traveling Cinerama tent shows
The restoration video
A slide show of behind the scenes and publicity photos

Search For Paradise
Trailers
Breakdown reel with Dimitri Tiomkin & Lowell Thomas
Cinerama’s Paradise camera crew at work- raw 35mm footage
1997 Interview with Director Otto Lang
David Cole’s power point presentation on the making of Paradise
The restoration samples video
A slide show of behind the scenes and publicity photos
Plus 1 hour of bonus extras for Paradise:
In The Picture (the 2012 Cinerama travelogue short)
The last days of Cinerama (the making of In The Picture featurette)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Thanks Dave.

Definite preorders for me, just like all of the rest.

The feature about the composers sounds great. Cinerama really had excellent music played through what I still think is the best theatre sound system ever.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Another question: will these be shown at the Dome this fall? In fact, will there be something of a Cinerama festival this fall?

Thanks,

Bob

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
November can't come quick enough.
"Search For Paradise" especially was always a favourite of mine.

These are both definite pre-orders for me.

tickets6.jpg

Doug.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Like your previous CINERAMA Blu-ray releases Mr. Strohmaier, I'll be in the queue with those Flicker Alley pre-orders. You've done some extraordinary restoration and recovery work on these classics. They've become my yearly pre-Christmas present.

Seven Wonders of the World holds an extra special attraction for me, because this was the first film I ever saw in a theatre*...at the tender age of 5. And I haven't seen more than clips from it in the 58 years since. All I can remember is how I felt during that 'runaway train' sequence...right on the edge of my seat with a near death grip on the seat back in front of me.

November can't come fast enough!

* The Music Hall CINERAMA in Detroit.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Thanks again Dave, I saw these both on the Cinerama screen in Bradford and was really impressed also good to have the In The Picture short.

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
Yes you could order from Amazon or direct from FA which might save a few bucks. I would think pre orders would start sometime end of July.

Don't know yet about a screening at the Dome. However we will press them for that as when they were shown at the 60th anniversary in 2012 we had not yet finished 7W and had not started on SFP.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
A definite preorder when I can! Hope they will be multi-region blus as previously in this excellent Cinerama series.
Alistair

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
It is a pity that Otto Lang's brilliant early cinemascope short VESUVIOUS EXPRESS, will not be an extra with SEARCH FOR PARADISE. Maybe Fox have lost the film? I still have fond memories of seeing this film many times.It was one of the very first cinemascope shorts and Tchaikovsky"s Capriccio Italien music make this gem of a film.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
They showed a 4-Track print of VESUVIOUS EXPRESS in Bradford a few years ago I seem to remember it came fromthe USA.

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
Gosh -Not enough Search For Paradise extras for you?

VESUVIOUS EXPRESS probably belongs to FOX and would have to be licensed from them which would blow our extras budget out the window.

I knew Otto Lang pretty well from 1997 until his death we talked quite often about his career and Cinerama. I think he would like our selection of SFP extras. He would probably also say that "Express" does not really belong on this Cinerama release. I imagine it was probably released with a Fox Cinemascope feature back in the day and that is where I believe it belongs, not with Search For Paradise.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Strohmaier said:
Gosh -Not enough Search For Paradise extras for you?

VESUVIOUS EXPRESS probably belongs to FOX and would have to be licensed from them which would blow our extras budget out the window.

I knew Otto Lang pretty well from 1997 until his death we talked quite often about his career and Cinerama. I think he would like our selection of SFP extras. He would probably also say that "Express" does not really belong on this Cinerama release. I imagine it was probably released with a Fox Cinemascope feature back in the day and that is where I believe it belongs, not with Search For Paradise.
I agree 100%

You have included a smorgasbord of extras, more than anyone could ever wish for.
Thank you so much for your continuous commitment, research, financial involvement, love and hard work that you have applied to these wonderful CINERAMA Films .
These Cinerama Discs give myself and I'm guessing countless others such enormous pleasure. I just can't wait for the next two.

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Hey it's the middle of August, when will these titles go up for pre-sale. I'm ready, really ready. :).

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Doug Bull said:
I agree 100%

You have included a smorgasbord of extras, more than anyone could ever wish for.
Thank you so much for your continuous commitment, research, financial involvement, love and hard work that you have applied to these wonderful CINERAMA Films .
These Cinerama Discs give myself and I'm guessing countless others such enormous pleasure. I just can't wait for the next two.

Doug.
A pity that (in my opinion) much of THIS IS CINERAMA was unwatchable - the Aida sequences for example.Only parts of the left and right panels of TIC were seen.Where was Lowell Thomas in the St Marks square sequence in Venice? Not in the bluray but you can see him in the actual Cinerama film.WINDJAMMER fared slightly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks