What's new

International Lord Jim French Release (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I just noticed that this is coming out on July 2 from Wild Side as a dvd/ blu ray combo in the proper 2:20 oar and wonder if perhaps either Sony or Twilight Time might be releasing it here in the near future which would be great news.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This is a nice looking release. This bodes well for a US release in five years. :)
41m-u1LRPIL.jpg
81QC4Y-xPCL._SL1500_.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Knowing the French, I'm worried about French subtitles that you can't disable. If that's the case, here's hoping Twilight Time picks up the ball and does a U.S. release.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A wee bit expensive, but I may buy this. I'll wait & find out about the PQ & removable subs ect. via the good old internet.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Yes, too expensive to take a chance on the Region Code - hopefully someone will let us know as soon as possible if this is Region Free, like GUN CRAZY and NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON. Both of these had subs you could disable from the remote.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I beg to differ. I can play Night/Curse of the Demon - at least the Blu-ray - on my Region A Sony player and Region A Pioneer, removing the subs by accessing subs on my remote. If it isn't a region free disc it certainly gave a good imitation of being one!

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nick*Z said:
I beg to differ. I can play Night/Curse of the Demon - at least the Blu-ray - on my Region A Sony player and Region A Pioneer, removing the subs by accessing subs on my remote. If it isn't a region free disc it certainly gave a good imitation of being one!
As it turns out, you are correct, Nick. Both the Amazon UK listing, and the box the discs came in indicate Region B, so I just assumed that was accurate and played it on my LG all-region. Based on your post, I have now tried it on my Panny region 1 player, and it works without a hitch. Great news for Region A NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON fans, but still pricey, and that gorgeous book that comes with it is in French only.

Didn't mean to hijack the LORD JIM thread, although this probably bodes well for this release being all-region as well.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
DVDClassik has a review and it doesn't look good. Soft picture and dull colours. The running time is the same as the DVD so there's obviously no Overture, Intermission etc.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Douglas R said:
DVDClassik has a review and it doesn't look good. Soft picture and dull colours. The running time is the same as the DVD so there's obviously no Overture, Intermission etc.
Translated from review:
For Blu-ray, the upgrade provides 1080/24p gain clear definition, and the color rendering has seemed more satisfying than the DVD, but you can still deplore uncertain stability and a blatant lack of sharpness , with daytime sequences sometimes a bit veiled and night sequences with unequal contrasts. However, some close-ups are fairly attractive, particularly by allowing to see the intensity of the blue eyes of Peter O'Toole.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Soft picture & dull colours is how I'd describe the old DVD. I was hoping that this had got the full Grover Crisp treatment. Oh well, it will be interesting to read what other people have to say about it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Billy Batson said:
Soft picture & dull colours is how I'd describe the old DVD. I was hoping that this had got the full Grover Crisp treatment. Oh well, it will be interesting to read what other people have to say about it.
As it is rumored that Twilight Time are interested in this title, it's possible that Sony will hand the elements over to Mr. Crisp and his team for a full restoration.

I certainly hope so.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
As it is rumored that Twilight Time are interested in this title, it's possible that Sony will hand the elements over to Mr. Crisp and his team for a full restoration. I certainly hope so.
Due to its large format elements Lord Jim will be expensive to prepare so I doubt very strongly that Sony would give this to Twilight.The French Disc is a huge disappointment, what were they thinking to release something like that? The lackluster quality reminds me of the Blu-rays of El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire but those were at least relatively cheap.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just watched this on dvd. I thought I would like to have this film on bluray,but have changed my mind after watching it Peter OToole runs around like a teenager trying to figure out if he is brave enough to perform certain acts of courage. Total waste of talent Silly film.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
LORD JIM is being shown on Film4 in the UK next week in HD. As far as I know it's never been broadcast in HD before. Be interesting to see what it looks like.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
LORD JIM is being shown on Film4 in the UK next week in HD. As far as I know it's never been broadcast in HD before. Be interesting to see what it looks like.
Yup, I noticed that & stuck it on my planner, nice to check out the HD picture without having to buy the French Blu-ray.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I recorded Lord Jim, & I've just got in from work, & had a quick look. It looks very much like the caps of the French Blu-ray release, colour very muted, focus OK(ish), better than the DVD, but it could hardly look worse. The film looks like it was shot through a fog filter. I don't think Sony went near the original negatives for this transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks