• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 12:50 PM

I just noticed that this is coming out on July 2 from Wild Side as a  dvd/ blu ray combo in the proper 2:20 oar and wonder if perhaps either Sony or Twilight Time might be releasing it here in the near future which would be great news.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 03:40 PM

This is a nice looking release. This bodes well for a US release in five years. :)

41m-u1LRPIL.jpg81QC4Y-xPCL._SL1500_.jpg

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,255 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 09:31 PM

Knowing the French, I'm worried about French subtitles that you can't disable. If that's the case, here's hoping Twilight Time picks up the ball and does a U.S. release.

#4 of 17 ONLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 23 2014 - 02:57 AM

A wee bit expensive, but I may buy this. I'll wait & find out about the PQ & removable subs ect. via the good old internet.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 09:03 AM

Yes, too expensive to take a chance on the Region Code - hopefully someone will let us know as soon as possible if this is Region Free, like GUN CRAZY and NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON.  Both of these had subs you could disable from the remote.   

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,170 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 12:00 PM

NIGHT OF THE DEMON was not region-free.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 12:11 PM

I beg to differ. I can play Night/Curse of the Demon - at least the Blu-ray - on my Region A Sony player and Region A Pioneer, removing the subs by accessing subs on my remote. If it isn't a region free disc it certainly gave a good imitation of being one!

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yes, both of these WILD SIDE Blus play on my my Region A Oppo.  The below reviews from DVDBeaver also mention they are Region Free . . .  

http://www.dvdbeaver...azy_blu-ray.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver...f_the_demon.htm

. . . but I suppose particular machines could have trouble playing a particular Blu regardless of the code.  Sorry if it didn't work for you. 

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,170 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:00 PM

I beg to differ. I can play Night/Curse of the Demon - at least the Blu-ray - on my Region A Sony player and Region A Pioneer, removing the subs by accessing subs on my remote. If it isn't a region free disc it certainly gave a good imitation of being one!

As it turns out, you are correct, Nick. Both the Amazon UK listing, and the box the discs came in indicate Region B, so I just assumed that was accurate and played it on my LG all-region. Based on your post, I have now tried it on my Panny region 1 player, and it works without a hitch. Great news for Region A NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON fans, but still pricey, and that gorgeous book that comes with it is in French only.

Didn't mean to hijack the LORD JIM thread, although this probably bodes well for this release being all-region as well.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,847 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:25 PM

DVDClassik has a review and it doesn't look good. Soft picture and dull colours. The running time is the same as the DVD so there's obviously no Overture, Intermission etc.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted July 04 2014 - 12:39 PM

DVDClassik has a review and it doesn't look good. Soft picture and dull colours. The running time is the same as the DVD so there's obviously no Overture, Intermission etc.

Translated from review: 

For Blu-ray, the upgrade provides 1080/24p gain clear definition, and the color rendering has seemed more satisfying than the DVD, but you can still deplore uncertain stability and a blatant lack of sharpness , with daytime sequences sometimes a bit veiled and night sequences with unequal contrasts. However, some close-ups are fairly attractive, particularly by allowing to see the intensity of the blue eyes of Peter O'Toole.

#12 of 17 ONLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:22 PM

Soft picture & dull colours is how I'd describe the old DVD. I was hoping that this had got the full Grover Crisp treatment. Oh well, it will be interesting to read what other people have to say about it.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:55 PM

Soft picture & dull colours is how I'd describe the old DVD. I was hoping that this had got the full Grover Crisp treatment. Oh well, it will be interesting to read what other people have to say about it.

As it is rumored that Twilight Time are interested in this title, it's possible that Sony will hand the elements over to Mr. Crisp and his team for a full restoration.

I certainly hope so.

#14 of 17 ONLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 17 2014 - 05:44 AM

The Beaver on this, it doesn't look good, esp. at that premier price.

http://www.dvdbeaver...jim_blu-ray.htm

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 02:01 PM

The Beaver on this, it doesn't look good, esp. at that premier price.

http://www.dvdbeaver...jim_blu-ray.htm

Yes, cramming all that on one disc was a mistake. Still waiting for a region A release.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,660 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:26 PM

As it is rumored that Twilight Time are interested in this title, it's possible that Sony will hand the elements over to Mr. Crisp and his team for a full restoration.

I certainly hope so.

Due to its large format elements Lord Jim will be expensive to prepare so I doubt very strongly that Sony would give this to Twilight.

The French Disc is a huge disappointment, what were they thinking to release something like that? The lackluster quality reminds me of the Blu-rays of El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire but those were at least relatively cheap.

#17 of 17 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 02:07 PM

Just watched this on dvd. I thought I would like to have this film  on bluray,but have changed my mind after watching it Peter OToole runs around like a teenager trying to figure out if he  is brave enough to perform certain acts of courage. Total waste of talent Silly film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users