Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Defiance Season 2 (SyFy)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,057 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 19 2014 - 07:40 PM

Premiered tonight.

Not a bad premiere for a show SyFy gambled heavily on.  Thank goodness for the DVR or I might have missed it.   I do like the characters, I'm hoping we move more to flesh out some of the story.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 06:47 AM

Looks like they were able to increase the budget a bit...Visuals of Chicago and LA.   

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,733 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 09:20 AM

I'm glad it's back. I enjoyed the first season and I'm looking forward to this one.

I thought this first episode was quite good.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,057 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:20 PM

Enjoyed the second episode.   I really like what they are doing with some of the characters here as far as fleshing out their reason for being.

trakt.tv

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,057 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:47 AM

Kind of unexpectedly brutal episode.   There was a moment in there though that reminded me a lot of Archer.. challenging a DJ in the tower where she seems to get off on the idea of him being a murderer, and he threatens her by saying 'I'll throw you off the arch' and she seems to be going into that mode that can best be described by Charlene on Archer "SPLOOOSH".. I was laughing when that happened.

That said, this is a better season 2 where we are actually putting together some rougher storylines.

trakt.tv

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,315 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 19 2014 - 07:14 AM

The unexpected goodness of The 100 delayed the start of Defiance for me.

The premiere was solid. Stama is becoming the star of the show. She is a brilliant character. And Defiance continues with it's adult aspects, the sexual interactions of Datak Tarr -- which to my continual surprise add to the show's reality, and aren't trashy attention-grbabbers.

I was surprised the recap didn't reference at all the death of Kenya. (It was mentioned in the brief scene between Stama and Amanda.) That was one of the best scenes last season. I'm sure she's dead, but I hope there are consequences.

I wanted more from Nolan finding Irisa. It was anti-climatic. But her visions, including ruthlessly killing Nolan hint at more to come.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,315 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 08:01 PM

Episodes 2 & 3.
Wow.

Father's home. And he and his wife and son had a lovely bath.

Irisa is killing people. And they are resurrected. And they become resurrection monsters themself. WTF?

A flashback. I missed some words, but it was important and I think helps some bits from S1.

So far, roaring start. I've got more eps in my backlog.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,315 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 04:23 PM

Episode 4: one of the best episodes of Defiance. The eviction of Datak Tarr was chilling.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,315 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 04:55 PM

And Episode 5 (if I've been counting correctly) was a superb "what's real?" episode. I haven't seen one of these in ages; perhaps since BSG. And this felt really sharp, with the unsettling use of near-subliminal images to start clueing us in that all was not as it seemed. The wrap-up was confusing but I think I got: the ego implant was put in by the Mayor and Doctor, while Amanda was in an Adreno high. Fragments propagated and self-implanted in the Mayor and Doctor, causing them similar reactions.

And all of this leaves Amanda cleaved from the two men she has some trust and affection for. Nolan, for whom her hallucinations were so damaging, and yet carried pieces of her self-perceived truth, that she holds it against him. And the Mayor, who Nolan has insinuated implanted this ego device into her (which he did, but she doesn't know that).

Datak Tarr tries to find forgiveness. And seeks yet again to run the town's politics.

I'm loving this season. It picked up where S1 left off in character maturity and story-telling prowess, and is taking it further. It has dialed down on the wild scifi mythos, legends, conspiracies and is putting more effort into the character dramas. This is some great stuff.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:26 AM

After a rocky first season, this show has become a really good must watch. More specifically, the Tarrs have become a really good must watch. The rest of the show is only slightly better than the sloggy dreck that was season one. But Datak and Stahma are killing it. I even like Alak.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 11:31 AM

It would be cool to have an episode that shows what the world (outside of Defiance) looks like.  I know we have seen Chicago and Los Angeles.  But, are their any parts of the world that are not completely changed?  Also, who controls what parts of the world?

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Screenwriter

• 1,028 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 11:53 AM

This doesn't look good.

It looks like Syfy is "burning off" first-run Defiance episodes towards the end of August, where they're playing:

- episodes 10 and 11 on Aug 21

http://www.syfy.com/...?date=2014-8-21

- episodes 12 and 13 on Aug 28

http://www.syfy.com/...?date=2014-8-28

It looks bad even for a cable channel to be "burning off" episodes in such a manner.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 04:12 PM

Show was jumping the shark with Walter Peck (William Atherton) in drag singing.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,315 posts

Posted September 05 2014 - 06:57 PM

Finished the season. This has been a good, at times great, season. The two hour finale was fantastic, and the best scifi I've seen since last year's Defiance conclusion.

Very much hoping for a third season.
  • spshultz likes this

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted September 25 2014 - 09:34 AM

Renewed for a 3rd season.

http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=hm_nw_tp_t2

• DaveF likes this

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,733 posts

Posted September 25 2014 - 09:56 AM

Renewed for a 3rd season.

http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=hm_nw_tp_t2

Yee-Haw!!

image.jpg
  • DaveF likes this
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

0 user(s) are reading this topic