What's new

An item has been deleted from your UltraViolet Library (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Received an interesting e-mail last night from UltraViolet:
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (Extended Edition) has been deleted from your UltraViolet Library by Todd. Please note that this doesn’t delete any downloads. If you or other users of your Library have downloaded it, you may wish to delete the downloaded copies as well.
If you believe this change was unauthorized, please check with Todd then contact customer service if you need to restore it.
I did not delete that title, so I contacted customer service and got this response:
Hello,
Thank you for contacting UltraViolet Customer Support.
We have been notified of false messages being sent to our customers. We do apologize for this. We are investigating the issue. To date, we have not had any effected accounts.
Could you please verify that the movie in question is in your library?
Have you added the movie title in question?
Could you provide a copy of the email you received?
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this process,
UltraViolet Customer Care
http://www.uvvu.com
Interestingly, the title is still available on VUDU, where I redeemed my UV code, but is no longer listed as a UV title, does not show up in my list of titles on CinemaNow, M-Go, and Target Ticket, and is listed on Flixster but exhibits playback issues.

Also, when looking at my UV library on UltraViolet's website, only 16 titles appear, even though I have 46 titles according to Flixster.

Something fishy is going on here, I think.....

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Its called beta for a reason, folks. At least they are invistigating the issue, and no one lost access to the movie who had purchased it. I think it's a good feature they just recently implemented to let owners know when someone else who is connected to their accounts deletes a film.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joshua Clinard said:
Its called beta for a reason, folks. At least they are invistigating the issue, and no one lost access to the movie who had purchased it. I think it's a good feature they just recently implemented to let owners know when someone else who is connected to their accounts deletes a film.
Wait, what? Are you seriously suggesting UV is still a beta?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
From the very beginning, Mark Teitell the General Manager of UltraViolet said that the system was going to be launched in phases. The second phase, which is the common file format, has not launched yet, therefore, it's not finished. Also, If you go to uvvu.com it has the beta logo at the top of the page.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's beta...yet everyone and their brother (studios, streaming services, cable companies) are saying this is the best thing ever and they're actively trying to kill physical media. Sounds like we're putting the cart before the horse, there.

I've never had a message that said a disc or title has been removed from my physical library without my consent. Not once. Not even an "oops...that was a bad e-mail." Just saying...

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Jason_V said:
I've never had a message that said a disc or title has been removed from my physical library without my consent. Not once. Not even an "oops...that was a bad e-mail." Just saying...
Me neither. But that didn't stop some movies from vanishing when Sony dropped CinemaNow from their devices. And those that didn't vanish from CN I can now only watch via laptop (which I never do). There is only one mode for true ownership...and that is disc. Digital is for the birds.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jason_V said:
It's beta...yet everyone and their brother (studios, streaming services, cable companies) are saying this is the best thing ever and they're actively trying to kill physical media. Sounds like we're putting the cart before the horse, there.I've never had a message that said a disc or title has been removed from my physical library without my consent. Not once. Not even an "oops...that was a bad e-mail." Just saying...
If the studios are actively trying to kill physical media then why did Warner Bros announce a new specialty line of blurays today for the collector physical media market? Seems to counter that argument. I mean why would they even bother?....oh, I know $$$$

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
UltraViolet was never intended to kill physical media. Sales of physical media was already declining in part due to rampant piracy. They realized that people wanted to watch movies on a broad array of devices, whenever and wherever they went, so they came up with UltraViolet to make up for the lost sales of DVDs.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Towergrove said:
If the studios are actively trying to kill physical media then why did Warner Bros announce a new specialty line of blurays today for the collector physical media market? Seems to counter that argument. I mean why would they even bother?....oh, I know $$$$
You answered your own question: to squeeze out just a little more money from movies that have been released four or five times already. Disagree all you want, but many movies are being released on digital before physical now. Some are getting exclusive features on digital which are not available on disc. Everyone (again, studios, cable companies, retailers, etc.) is starting or trying to start their own VOD services.

As a supplement, VOD is fine. However, I see this phenomenon as a "rubber band." We went so far into the "everyone has DVD" that the rubber band snapped all the way back to the digital side. We're not quite to snapping back to DVD/physical yet, but I think we're coming close. Especially as cable companies are putting caps on the amount of data used in any given month.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jason_V said:
You answered your own question: to squeeze out just a little more money from movies that have been released four or five times already. Disagree all you want, but many movies are being released on digital before physical now. Some are getting exclusive features on digital which are not available on disc. Everyone (again, studios, cable companies, retailers, etc.) is starting or trying to start their own VOD services. As a supplement, VOD is fine. However, I see this phenomenon as a "rubber band." We went so far into the "everyone has DVD" that the rubber band snapped all the way back to the digital side. We're not quite to snapping back to DVD/physical yet, but I think we're coming close. Especially as cable companies are putting caps on the amount of data used in any given month.
I agree 100% but I am also glad that the studios are selling us digital versions of their films as well as the rental option as not everyone prefers to rent and vice versa.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This was finally resolved. From what I could gather, VUDU somehow removed the UV flag on this title, which then snowballed to other UV partners, making the film unavailable unless the member purchased it from that partner directly.The precedent here is that it shows that a UV license could be revoked at anytime.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sure they were, Sam. But they may not be "mistakes" in the future. Owning, on a physical format, will never run into that issue. There are other problems, naturally, but not that one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm with you. I have no intention of ever paying for Digital Video codes but I'll redeem em when I get em for free. I'm all in on games digitally but movies are still such a mess I won't pay a dime for em.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks