Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

An item has been deleted from your UltraViolet Library

Digital HD Lionsgate

Best Answer Todd Erwin , June 22 2014 - 10:00 AM

This was finally resolved. From what I could gather, VUDU somehow removed the UV flag on this title, which then snowballed to other UV partners, making the film unavailable unless the member purchased it from that partner directly.

The precedent here is that it shows that a UV license could be revoked at anytime. Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted June 19 2014 - 08:35 AM

Received an interesting e-mail last night from UltraViolet:

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (Extended Edition) has been deleted from your UltraViolet Library by Todd. Please note that this doesn’t delete any downloads. If you or other users of your Library have downloaded it, you may wish to delete the downloaded copies as well.
If you believe this change was unauthorized, please check with Todd then contact customer service if you need to restore it.

I did not delete that title, so I contacted customer service and got this response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting UltraViolet Customer Support.

We have been notified of false messages being sent to our customers. We do apologize for this. We are investigating the issue. To date, we have not had any effected accounts.

Could you please verify that the movie in question is in your library?
Have you added the movie title in question?
Could you provide a copy of the email you received?

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this process,

UltraViolet Customer Care
http://www.uvvu.com

Interestingly, the title is still available on VUDU, where I redeemed my UV code, but is no longer listed as a UV title, does not show up in my list of titles on CinemaNow, M-Go, and Target Ticket, and is listed on Flixster but exhibits playback issues.

Also, when looking at my UV library on UltraViolet's website, only 16 titles appear, even though I have 46 titles according to Flixster.

Something fishy is going on here, I think.....

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,248 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 19 2014 - 10:16 AM

POPULAR

Thank God for disc...
  • Jason_V, mattCR, LeoA and 1 other like this

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Raul Marquez,MD

Raul Marquez,MD

Second Unit

• 304 posts
  • LocationSan Juan, Puerto Rico (USA)

Posted June 19 2014 - 10:32 AM

POPULAR

One more reason I refuse to use Ultraviolet.....

• Sam Posten, Jason_V and Towergrove like this

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:16 PM

Its called beta for a reason, folks. At least they are invistigating the issue, and no one lost access to the movie who had purchased it. I think it's a good feature they just recently implemented to let owners know when someone else who is connected to their accounts deletes a film.

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,848 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:39 PM

Remind me again why Digital is the way of the future...

• Jason_V and LeoA like this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,878 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 19 2014 - 07:30 PM

Its called beta for a reason, folks. At least they are invistigating the issue, and no one lost access to the movie who had purchased it. I think it's a good feature they just recently implemented to let owners know when someone else who is connected to their accounts deletes a film.

Wait, what? Are you seriously suggesting UV is still a beta?

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 07:58 PM

Just checked and all my VUDU  films are still there.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 20 2014 - 05:39 AM

From the very beginning, Mark Teitell the General Manager of UltraViolet said that the system was going to be launched in phases. The second phase, which is the common file format, has not launched yet, therefore, it's not finished. Also, If you go to uvvu.com, it has the beta logo at the top of the page.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 20 2014 - 05:45 AM

It's beta...yet everyone and their brother (studios, streaming services, cable companies) are saying this is the best thing ever and they're actively trying to kill physical media. Sounds like we're putting the cart before the horse, there.

I've never had a message that said a disc or title has been removed from my physical library without my consent. Not once. Not even an "oops...that was a bad e-mail." Just saying...

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   RJ992

RJ992

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 02:26 PM

I've never had a message that said a disc or title has been removed from my physical library without my consent. Not once. Not even an "oops...that was a bad e-mail." Just saying...

Me neither. But that didn't stop some movies from vanishing when Sony dropped CinemaNow from their devices. And those that didn't vanish from CN I can now only watch via laptop (which I never do).  There is only one mode for true ownership...and that is disc. Digital is for the birds.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 04:16 PM

It's beta...yet everyone and their brother (studios, streaming services, cable companies) are saying this is the best thing ever and they're actively trying to kill physical media. Sounds like we're putting the cart before the horse, there.

If the studios are actively trying to kill physical media then why did Warner Bros announce a new specialty line of blurays today for the collector physical media market? Seems to counter that argument. I mean why would they even bother?....oh, I know $$$$
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:59 PM

UltraViolet was never intended to kill physical media. Sales of physical media was already declining in part due to rampant piracy. They realized that people wanted to watch movies on a broad array of devices, whenever and wherever they went, so they came up with UltraViolet to make up for the lost sales of DVDs.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 20 2014 - 09:45 PM

If the studios are actively trying to kill physical media then why did Warner Bros announce a new specialty line of blurays today for the collector physical media market? Seems to counter that argument. I mean why would they even bother?....oh, I know $$$$

You answered your own question: to squeeze out just a little more money from movies that have been released four or five times already. Disagree all you want, but many movies are being released on digital before physical now. Some are getting exclusive features on digital which are not available on disc. Everyone (again, studios, cable companies, retailers, etc.) is starting or trying to start their own VOD services.

As a supplement, VOD is fine. However, I see this phenomenon as a "rubber band." We went so far into the "everyone has DVD" that the rubber band snapped all the way back to the digital side. We're not quite to snapping back to DVD/physical yet, but I think we're coming close. Especially as cable companies are putting caps on the amount of data used in any given month.

• Towergrove likes this

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 06:25 PM

You answered your own question: to squeeze out just a little more money from movies that have been released four or five times already. Disagree all you want, but many movies are being released on digital before physical now. Some are getting exclusive features on digital which are not available on disc. Everyone (again, studios, cable companies, retailers, etc.) is starting or trying to start their own VOD services.

As a supplement, VOD is fine. However, I see this phenomenon as a "rubber band." We went so far into the "everyone has DVD" that the rubber band snapped all the way back to the digital side. We're not quite to snapping back to DVD/physical yet, but I think we're coming close. Especially as cable companies are putting caps on the amount of data used in any given month.

I agree 100% but I am also glad that the studios are selling us digital versions of their films as well as the rental option as not everyone prefers to rent and vice versa.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted June 22 2014 - 10:00 AM   Best Answer

This was finally resolved. From what I could gather, VUDU somehow removed the UV flag on this title, which then snowballed to other UV partners, making the film unavailable unless the member purchased it from that partner directly.

The precedent here is that it shows that a UV license could be revoked at anytime.
  • Sam Posten likes this

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,027 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 22 2014 - 10:10 AM

Being revoked is not a surprise.  I've heard of a few titles being removed from iTunes accounts.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,878 posts

Posted June 22 2014 - 03:43 PM

Those were also mistakes and quickly fixed.

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 23 2014 - 06:15 AM

Sure they were, Sam. But they may not be "mistakes" in the future. Owning, on a physical format, will never run into that issue. There are other problems, naturally, but not that one.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,878 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:24 AM

I'm with you. I have no intention of ever paying for Digital Video codes but I'll redeem em when I get em for free. I'm all in on games digitally but movies are still such a mess I won't pay a dime for em.
  • Jason_V likes this

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted June 23 2014 - 09:48 AM

Same here Sam. I will not pay for a digital code. If it's not free, it's a no from me.
  • Sam Posten likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Digital HD, Lionsgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users