-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Goodbye, Huddler (Everywhere)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 of 31 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,152 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:19 AM

Those MIT guys are pretty sharp, as you'd expect from having gone to school at the East Coast's version of Rose Hulman ;)

(RHIT '93 :D)

I went to RH for 3 weeks during a summer excursion exercise from IU. Had to do with the science behind art. At the time computer graphic arts was new...and RH had the first program in the Midwest.

I was ahead of the curve as I had a Kaypro transportable(color monitor) and a fast printer. It could do a 10 page paper while you ate dinner...

(To keep up with the tangent, Dave. Have you seen Accepted? Home of "the sandwiches" )

#22 of 31 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,302 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 20 2014 - 01:26 PM

I went to RH for 3 weeks during a summer excursion exercise from IU. Had to do with the science behind art. At the time computer graphic arts was new...and RH had the first program in the Midwest.

I was ahead of the curve as I had a Kaypro transportable(color monitor) and a fast printer. It could do a 10 page paper while you ate dinner...

(To keep up with the tangent, Dave. Have you seen Accepted? Home of "the sandwiches" )

I haven't seen "Accepted". Does it reference Rose?

There was some neat (at the time) ray-tracing work being done when I was there. One guy would sometimes work on his program in the NeXT lab where I was doing some programming or classwork.

#23 of 31 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,152 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 03:15 PM

No...they don't reference Rose...

But the school is...

South Harman Institute of Technology...

Mascot being a sandwich...

Justin Long and Jonah Hill are in it.

#24 of 31 mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 10:26 AM

A new version of V bulletin, it's been a rough changeover so far.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#25 of 31 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,693 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 04 2014 - 10:50 PM

Huddler isn't gone per se, they actually owned several sites, including AVS (and no, they never disclosed to us that they bought them, even when we were on their platform).  They sold all the sites they owned to Vertical Scope who put them onto vB since all their other sites are vB based.  Your guess is as good as mine why they sold their bread and butter sites, and while I have my guess I don't want to speculate in public.  Sites that were on Huddler that were owned by others (like HTF was) are still on Huddler, although several have followed HTFs lead in leaving.  Even though we still have a ways to go, I'm very glad to be where we are today.

• Sam Posten and Jason_V like this

#26 of 31 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,574 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 11:43 AM

Adam,

Interesting. I didn't know Dave Bott had sold AVS.

Let alone to Huddler, who now sold it through again apparently.

Well, well.

Cees

• Sam Posten likes this

#27 of 31 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,693 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 05 2014 - 12:14 PM

Adam,

Interesting. I didn't know Dave Bott had sold AVS.

Let alone to Huddler, who now sold it through again apparently.

Well, well.

Cees

Yes, David sold Huddler for more than just walking around money.  Rumor has it they wanted it badly, as a proof of concept.  I'll let you reach your own conclusions as to if it proved their concept or not.  I don't want to speak for any other owner but I was miffed when I found out after we left that they had actually purchased a competing site and hadn't told us.  They said they were brining on AVS and were going to use it to create their own ad network and it would help raise revenue for HTF (which it didn't).  They never said that they were buying AVS.  That just didn't sit right with me.

• Sam Posten likes this

#28 of 31 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,197 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 12:24 PM

To take that one step further...

When we negotiated a deal with Huddler, we were promised no competing

sites would be brought onboard.  We would be an exclusive HT site.

Less than a year later they were attempting to talk to David Bott about bringing

AVS aboard.

They totally blind-sighted us on purchasing AVS.  They essentially had two similar

sites on their platform that they were competing against each other.  We had absolutely

no knowledge this was going on.

Can't speak for David Bott, but I have the impression that he went through some really

bad times with Huddler and some promises were broken along the way.  It was quite

sad to see how he lost AVS to a company he thought would take it to the next level, 

and in the end, saw that company (Huddler) sell it to another company (Verticalscope).

I believe, right now, Home Theater Forum is one of the last remaining privately

owned HT forums out there.

Really sad that those years were totally wasted, filled with frustration and loss. However,

since moving off of Huddler we are seeing traffic and opportunities that we never had

on that platform.   

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#29 of 31 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,152 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 12:26 PM

Wonder if that coincided with when I openly made fun of AVS becoming...

DENONISGODforum

And my banning.

#30 of 31 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,393 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 05 2014 - 12:35 PM

Wonder if that coincided with when I openly made fun of AVS becoming...

DENONISGODforum

And my banning.

I think AVS banned a lot of good people, they ended up on forums like this one and it's their loss.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#31 of 31 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,653 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 05 2014 - 12:40 PM

AVS Forum started out as a captive house forum for the AV Science supplies and consulting company.  I bought a few things from them circa the year 2000, including a screen and my first ATSC tuner (RCA DTC100 IRC).  So to some extent it always was a "company owned" forum.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users