What's new

Greatest...not on Blu...tragedy? (1 Viewer)

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
How about a BR of Nine Hours to Rama? Not a great film, but a good one, and an amazing ending. Or a decent version, with subtitles, of the astonishing 1967 Le Grand Meaulnes? Latter currently only available in French san sous-titres.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Magnificent Ambersons (remember when people thought they might put out a blu for its 70th aniversary and WHV released only a DVD)?

Yankee Doodle Dandy?

At least unitl WHV changes it's corporate policy that refuses to license what it won't release on its own, it deserves a lot of criticism.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
To the best of my knowledge there are still no films directed by Preston Sturges on Blu-Ray in Region A. I can't imagine that situation is going to last forever.

- Walter.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Or any of the Boetticher/Scott westerns.

Also, I hope we all recognize that "tragedy" is being used within the context of our hobby - because, compared to actual human tragedies, the absence of a movie on Blu does not really measure-up.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
That may be true, but the subject seems to suggest the "tragedy" is that a movie (or any given movie) is not on Blu.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My intent was "a person's work" not represented. Not individual movies. Oh well.

I did start with Yamanaka. Then added HaPB...as it has the best chance.

Yamanaka was brilliant and died too soon.

Hell...Zoe Lund has BD. Equally, sorta, tragique. (self doing-in counts)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Dave B Ferris said:
Also, I hope we all recognize that "tragedy" is being used within the context of our hobby - because, compared to actual human tragedies, the absence of a movie on Blu does not really measure-up.
I did not realize that. Thank you.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Dave B Ferris said:
Or any of the Boetticher/Scott westerns.
Well the HD work's been done as they've all been on the telly in HD looking very nice.

For just the one film I'll stick with westerns & choose, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon 1949. A classic John Ford/John Wayne western. And it could look really great on Blu-ray. I thought it would have been out by now.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Billy Batson said:
Well the HD work's been done as they've all been on the telly in HD looking very nice.

For just the one film I'll stick with westerns & choose, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon 1949. A classic John Ford/John Wayne western. And it could look really great on Blu-ray. I thought it would have been out by now.
At least that's one that's virtually guaranteed to get a release, even from WHV.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Another vote here for Gance's 'Napoleon'. How wonderful if someone pulled out from their bed the missing 3-D footage!

And although Sergei Eisenstein is represented with a couple of his silent movies, NOT ONE of his great sound movies featuring his wonderful collaboration with Sergei Prokofiev has yet made it to Blu ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks