Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Sundays and Cybèle (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:49 PM

728_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

SUNDAYS AND CYBÈLE - Blu–Ray & DVD Editions
In this provocative Academy Award winner from French director Serge Bourgignon, a psychologically damaged war veteran and a neglected child begin a startlingly intimate friendship—one that ultimately ignites the suspicion and anger of his friends and neighbors in suburban Paris. Bourguignon’s film makes thoughtful, humane drama out of potentially incendiary subject matter, and with the help of the sensitive cinematography of Henri Decaë (The 400 Blows) and a delicate score by Maurice Jarre (Lawrence of Arabia), Sundays and Cybèle becomes a stirring contemplation of an alliance between two troubled souls.

1962 • 110 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In French with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 
• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray 
• New interviews with director Serge Bourguignon and actor Patricia Gozzi
• Le sourire (1960), Bourguignon’s Palme d’Or–winning short documentary
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by critic Ginette Vincendeau 

TITLE: SUNDAYS AND CYBÈLE (BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2397BD
UPC: 7-15515-12701-1
ISBN: 978-1-60465-901-6
SRP: $39.95                             
PREBOOK: 8/26/14
STREET: 9/30/14

TITLE: SUNDAYS AND CYBÈLE (DVD EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2398DDVD
UPC: 7-15515-12711-0
ISBN: 978-1-60465-902-3
SRP: $24.95
PREBOOK: 8/26/14
STREET: 9/30/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 16 2014 - 11:28 PM

Best Blu-ray news EVER.

• Charles Smith likes this

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 04:47 AM

Another of the relatively obscure titles Criterion releases that only a potential handful of people will know enough about to purchase (and those in the UK, where the film originated, can't even order it directly from the company, if I'm not mistaken). Therefore it is up to those who are familiar with it to talk it up.

The widescreen black and white on the UK DVD is very nice, and should be stunning on Blu. The story is quite lovely but treads on grounds our draconian, paranoid society would find uncomfortable, which is the (strictly platonic) friendship between a lonely single man and a small orphaned girl. Some of the villagers who witness this relationship do what too many people do these days: they make assumptions. Things escalate from there. SUNDAYS AND CYBELE is a powerful indictment of gossip and misjudgement (another film that will wrench your gut along these lines is a more recent film called THE HUNT), and deserves your attention, as it is more topical now than ever.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 17 2014 - 11:54 AM

Another undeservedly forgotten gem, although not forgotten by the lucky ones who saw it during its original run, is rescued from oblivion. Rick, in the post above, nails it. This is indeed welcome news.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 12:21 PM

It is indeed a fantastic film.  I won't be buying it because I'm trying to curb my spending habits, but I strongly encourage folks to check it out.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:13 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 19 2014 - 07:12 AM

The film didn't originate in the UK. It's a Frenh film shot in France

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:15 AM

Original title: Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray (Sundays at Ville d'Avray). Although I didn't know French at the time of its release, the title always stuck with me, and I kept wondering why it had been changed to Sundays and Cybele (sorry, can't type the accent grave). Still, the movie has haunted me all these years, and I have been waiting for an opportunity to revisit it. I'm very excited about this release, just as I was by TT's release of Rapture, with the same wonderful actress, Patricia Gozzi.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:00 PM

The film didn't originate in the UK. It's a Frenh film shot in France

Another of my all-too-typical errors. You're correct, Bruce.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:19 PM

Another of my all-too-typical errors. You're correct, Bruce.

I saw the film the day it opened in LA and went back many times during that initial engagement.  Then I would follow it wherever it went to second runs - during which it was shown also dubbed (Hardy Kruger did his own dubbing, but Gozzi didn't and the young woman who did doesn't quite capture what Gozzi is doing).    I could not keep away from the film - it frequently played on a double bill with my other favorite French film of that period, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - it even played with That Man from Rio a couple of times.  The photography by Henri Decae is some of the most beautiful black-and-white scope photography ever committed to film.   I cannot wait to have this - the DVD from overseas was very nice, but I'm sure this will be amazing.  I've known Criterion had this for close to three years and I will never ever for the life of me figure out why they sit on something that long.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users