Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Eraserhead (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,985 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:42 PM

725_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

ERASERHEAD - Blu–ray & DVD Editions
David Lynch’s 1977 debut feature, Eraserhead, is both a lasting cult sensation and a work of extraordinary craft and beauty. With its mesmerizing black-and-white photography by Frederick Elmes, evocative sound design, and unforgettably enigmatic performance by Jack Nance, this visionary nocturnal odyssey remains one of American cinema’s darkest dreams.

1977 • 85 minutes • Black & White • Stereo • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray • “Eraserhead” Stories, a 2001 documentary by David Lynch on the making of the film • New high-definition restorations of six short films by Lynch: Six Figures Getting Sick (1966), The Alphabet (1968), The Grandmother (1970), The Amputee, Part 1 and Part 2 (1974), and Premonitions Following an Evil Deed (1996), all with video introductions by Lynch• New and archival interviews with cast and crew• Trailer

TITLE: ERASERHEAD (BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2391BD
UPC: 7-15515-12571-0
ISBN: 978-1-60465-895-8
SRP: $39.95  
PREBOOK: 8/12/14
STREET: 9/16/14

TITLE: ERASERHEAD (2-DVD EDITION)CAT. NO: CC2392DDVD
UPC: 7-15515-12581-9
ISBN: 978-1-60465-896-5
SRP: $29.95PREBOOK: 8/12/14STREET: 9/16/14 

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:49 PM

Whoo-whoo!!! Yes!!!! I'm so happy, one of my favourites.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,587 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 17 2014 - 04:16 AM

And they're including the short films too? Great job, Criterion!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 08:01 AM

"New and archival interviews with cast and crew."This is interesting.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,334 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 08:03 AM

So basically this means Lynch's entire Lime Green Box catalog (except for Wild at Heart) is available to Criterion correct?

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 08:45 AM

You mean the OOP 10-disc set? It has a lot of stuff."The Cowboy and the Frenchman AKA Les Français vus par (1988)", "DumbLand (2002)" series, "Rabbits (2002)" short films etc.But I guess the Criterion's Blu-ray has most of the short films that were shot on film.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,985 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:04 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted September 19 2014 - 04:14 AM

I think there might be a problem on the otherwise amazing blu-ray. It cuts to black @65 min with Henry and the Lady In The Radiator instead of the blast of white. A missing optical?

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 420 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted September 19 2014 - 10:14 AM

So basically this means Lynch's entire Lime Green Box catalog (except for Wild at Heart) is available to Criterion correct?

I realize this is an old post I'm responding to, but...

I'm not really sure what this question is asking. Eraserhead and the short films are the only contents from the Lime Green DVD box set that Criterion has released. The box set also included:

The Elephant Man (Paramount)

Blue Velvet (MGM)

Wild at Heart (MGM, licensed to Twilight Time for Blu-ray)

Industrial Symphony #1 (as far as I know, Lynch owns this himself)

DumbLand (Lynch again)

The supplement discs included several featurettes and interviews about The Elephant Man, deleted scenes from Wild at Heart, and a number of short films and odds-and-ends that originated on Lynch's web site.

The box set also contained an Eraserhead soundtrack CD.

The "Short Films of David Lynch" DVD in the box had an additional film (The Cowboy and the Frenchman) not included on Criterion's Blu-ray, presumably due to rights issues with the French studio that originally produced it. 

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 420 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted September 19 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think there might be a problem on the otherwise amazing blu-ray. It cuts to black @65 min with Henry and the Lady In The Radiator instead of the blast of white. A missing optical?

Did the scene originally fade to white there, or are you thinking of the end of the movie? I would have to dig out the old DVD and/or Laserdisc.

Keep in mind that Lynch deliberately changed a fade-to-white in the theatrical release of Fire Walk With Me (when Chet Desmond disappears) to a fade-to-black for all subsequent home video releases. Maybe he's made the same decision here. 

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted September 19 2014 - 05:31 PM

Did the scene originally fade to white there, or are you thinking of the end of the movie? I would have to dig out the old DVD and/or Laserdisc.

Keep in mind that Lynch deliberately changed a fade-to-white in the theatrical release of Fire Walk With Me (when Chet Desmond disappears) to a fade-to-black for all subsequent home video releases. Maybe he's made the same decision here. 

I checked it against the official DL.com DVD, where it begins to fade to white then it cuts to pure white.

The fade up to white still happens on the Criterion blu-ray (done in camera?) but the frames of pure white are now what appears to be black slug with sound underneath, then we're back.  It certainly looks like a missing element.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,587 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 19 2014 - 06:37 PM

Not to go too far off topic but

I just saw a 35mm print of FWWM literally two days ago. I wish I had known to look for that difference because I didn't notice it being any different from all the home video iterations.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 420 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted September 19 2014 - 08:46 PM

I checked it against the official DL.com DVD, where it begins to fade to white then it cuts to pure white.

The fade up to white still happens on the Criterion blu-ray (done in camera?) but the frames of pure white are now what appears to be black slug with sound underneath, then we're back.  It certainly looks like a missing element.

Argh, Lynch's hatred of chapter stops is killing me. 65 minutes is a long way to fast forward on multiple separate copies.

I just compared the Lynch DVD to the Criterion disc and I see what you mean. It's very different now. The scene originally faded up to white, then went to a pure white frame, then cut back to Henry, then cut back to white, then cut to Lady in the Radiator. Now it starts to get bright (which appears to be a lighting effect at first rather than an optical fade), but cuts to black and holds on black until cutting to the Lady, even though the sound effects that correspond to the different shots are still on the soundtrack. We're missing the pure white frame, the cutaway to Henry, and the second pure white frame.

I also put in the UK and Japanese Blu-rays from a couple years ago (that have a different transfer than the Criterion), and those both play as the movie originally did, with the white frames and the shot of Henry. Whatever the cause of this problem is, it's unique to the Criterion Blu-ray.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted September 22 2014 - 06:02 PM

Just in...Update on Eraserhead issue at Criterion: An email was received from a friend of mine who wrote in - a replacement will be available.

I haven't rec'd my email yet, but others have rec'd a response from Criterion as well.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted September 24 2014 - 03:47 PM

http://welcometotwin...sc-replacement/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users