Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Name A 60's TV Story Cliche

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 of 113 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,104 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 05:37 PM

Acually on the Van Dyke show it wasn't years later they were wondering it, it was a flashback to when they thought there might be a switch after they came home from the hospital.

#102 of 113 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted June 25 2014 - 02:57 AM

A personal favorite of mine, the vampire episode.

#103 of 113 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 06:41 AM

Any variation on Scrooge/A Christmas Carol where a person (of any age) has lost the Christmas spirit and regains it at the last moment.  Another popular Christmas cliche is when a kid or family is waiting anxiously for dad to come home, which he does at the last minute.  Or when someone wants to select the perfect gift and has a difficult time coming up with one. 

Gary "even though there are only so many stories that can be written surrounding the holiday, I find that I enjoy them all" O.

• JohnMor and Rob_Ray like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#104 of 113 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 05:05 PM

Acually on the Van Dyke show it wasn't years later they were wondering it, it was a flashback to when they thought there might be a switch after they came home from the hospital.

Well, it has been 40-odd years since I've seen it. The punchline was that the other couple was black, which sure relieved Van Dyke and Moore. The black husband was Greg Morris, just a couple of years before "Mission: Impossible."

#105 of 113 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 08:55 PM

Ethel *was* an instigator in several early episodes like "Numerology" and "Be a Pal."  She could be quite a troublemaker and Lucy was very gullible.  Rather than being simply inconsistent, the characters evolved over time.

However, there's one episode that really rankles me with the inconsistency:  When, in season four, each character has an annoying habit that get's on their spouse's nerves, they display a habit we have never EVER seen before (with a possible exception for Ethel, who eats noisily).  Ricky taps his fingers on the table, Lucy stirs her coffee ad nauseum and Fred jangles his keys whenever he stands still.  ONLY in this episode!

Sounds like an episode of Alice (man, that show was lame) where Vera tries to quit smoking.  She was never seen smoking before, yet in this single episode she just can't stop.

#106 of 113 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:07 AM

That one always entertains me. Not only because it's such a great episode, but I get a kick that they come home to a new house, all moved in and settled, that they weren't living at when she left to give birth. And not only did Rob get them all moved in between the time she went to give birth and before she came home, but Millie went and had Freddie after Laura left to give birth and was discharged and all back to normal by the time Laura and Richie came home. 

Thankfully, great tv and accurate continuity don't necessarily have to go hand in hand. If anything, it adds to the entertainment watching these on DVD or Blu-Ray today to see the minor mistakes or the liberties they had to take out of necessity back then or because it benefited the story (Like reusing a good character actor for a different role).

• Rob_Ray likes this

#107 of 113 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:31 PM

Two characters getting handcuffed together and they lose the key.

• Peter M Fitzgerald likes this

#108 of 113 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:32 PM

Two characters getting handcuffed together and they lose the key.

Man teaches a woman to drive.

#109 of 113 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,104 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 12:36 AM

That one always entertains me. Not only because it's such a great episode, but I get a kick that they come home to a new house, all moved in and settled, that they weren't living at when she left to give birth. And not only did Rob get them all moved in between the time she went to give birth and before she came home, but Millie went and had Freddie after Laura left to give birth and was discharged and all back to normal by the time Laura and Richie came home. 

Thankfully, great tv and accurate continuity don't necessarily have to go hand in hand. If anything, it adds to the entertainment watching these on DVD or Blu-Ray today to see the minor mistakes or the liberties they had to take out of necessity back then or because it benefited the story (Like reusing a good character actor for a different role).

Notwithstanding those inconsistencies (along with the ever-changing name of Rob's old Army buddy Sol/Sam Pomeroy/Pomerantz), the Van Dyke Show  was one of the stronger classic shows for maintaining a semblance of continuity.     Compare it to "The Odd Couple" which I love but is the worst in this regard!   (My favorite is how the narration said "Madison's wife had thrown him out, requesting that he never return" yet all flashback episodes showed that Oscar and Blanche lived in the same apartment and that it was Blanche who left!)

#110 of 113 OFFLINE   High C

High C

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 05:55 PM

Sounds like an episode of Alice (man, that show was lame) where Vera tries to quit smoking.  She was never seen smoking before, yet in this single episode she just can't stop.

Much more recently, How I Met Your Mother had a ridiculous ep in which EVERYONE in the cast suddenly had a smoking habit. Weak.

#111 of 113 OFFLINE   High C

High C

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 06:00 PM

Notwithstanding those inconsistencies (along with the ever-changing name of Rob's old Army buddy Sol/Sam Pomeroy/Pomerantz), the Van Dyke Show  was one of the stronger classic shows for maintaining a semblance of continuity.     Compare it to "The Odd Couple" which I love but is the worst in this regard!   (My favorite is how the narration said "Madison's wife had thrown him out, requesting that he never return" yet all flashback episodes showed that Oscar and Blanche lived in the same apartment and that it was Blanche who left!)

Yeah, that's one of my all-time favorites but the amount of different ways they had Oscar and Felix first meeting one another became mind-boggling!

#112 of 113 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,561 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 06:26 PM

The badass troublemaker, social misfit, who attracts the impressionable boy, then "chickens out" of a fight, so the boy will not see him as a role model and follow in his footsteps.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#113 of 113 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,104 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 05:48 PM

At some point, a Cockney voiced woman will do a take-off of the "Rain In Spain" bit from "My Fair Lady" to be accompanied by a variant response of "I think she's got it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users