-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable + Led Zeppelin re-releases = rekindling my love for music

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 of 25 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 06 2014 - 08:21 AM

Just found this thread and loving it. I bought a Rega RP1 with an arm upgrade a bit over a year ago and have been loving it.I've found so far that my worst vinyl sounds like my better or best CDs so I'm pretty pleased.

I too picked up the Led Zep reissues. I had only heard a handful of Zep prior, and only via columbia house record club cassettes ha ha. The first drum kick in "Your Time Is Gonna Come" nearly knocked me out of my chair. So yeah, they're quite the revelation to my ears.

Another one that struck me was the first album by The Stooges. I've owned it on cassette and two separate CD versions, and none of them sounded any good compared to the 180g vinyl Rhino put out. Also, if you're a Bob Dylan fan, the Mono boxset of his first 7 or so albums is a must. The stereo versions of the early solo folk albums always annoyed me since it put the vocals in one speaker and his guitar in the other. Now they blend properly and sound like you're in the room. The electric albums benefit too, Highway 61 Revisited never sounded better. The whooshing organ at the start of "Like a Rolling Stone", I'm gonna go listen to it tonight ha ha.

• Josh Steinberg likes this
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#22 of 25 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,121 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:41 AM

My turntable since the early 1990s has been an AR ES1 with Rega RB-300 tonearm.  The new cartridge I recently installed, the Dynavector 10x5, is by far the best I've ever had.  It set me back $450, which is nothing compared to the insane high-end ones.  But what a beauty.  The day I got it set up and started checking out various records is one I'll never forget.  In all these years I'd never thrilled to it quite like this, and I've been advised to allow a good 100 hours of break-in before it "really" begins to sing.

Until moving to an AVR several years ago I'd never used an outboard phono preamp, but sadly, my wonderful old stereo amp finally bit the dust and it was time to move into multi-channel sound anyway.  The AVR is the Pioneer Elite (low-end Elite) VSX-21TXH and the L/R speakers are still my original Vandersteen 2c's.  The phono preamp I bought for it is the Jolida JD9, and it, too, was a wonderful choice.  I'm a happy boy.

And what Russell G said:  I've found so far that my worst vinyl sounds like my better or best CDs.  Amen to that.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#23 of 25 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 07:52 PM

Also, if you're a Bob Dylan fan, the Mono boxset of his first 7 or so albums is a must. The stereo versions of the early solo folk albums always annoyed me since it put the vocals in one speaker and his guitar in the other. Now they blend properly and sound like you're in the room. The electric albums benefit too, Highway 61 Revisited never sounded better. The whooshing organ at the start of "Like a Rolling Stone", I'm gonna go listen to it tonight ha ha.

Thanks for the recommendation - I somehow never even thought about picking that up, but now that my record player is set up again, I'm gonna have to consider that (or throw it on a Christmas list or something).  My brother owns the Bealtes mono box set (on CD), and I was blown away hearing those mixes after only having heard the stereo.  I had a similar reaction to the recent Miles Davis In Mono box set (CD).  Dylan, in mono, on vinyl -- well, I don't know if I can resist that!

#24 of 25 hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm an avid Dylan fan, and on that subject, what is the difference between the versions of the Complete Album Collection, and when does the second come out. You need to take out a second mortgage to buy all of his stuff!
PS Eagerly awaiting the new album later this month!

#25 of 25 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 13 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'm an avid Dylan fan, and on that subject, what is the difference between the versions of the Complete Album Collection, and when does the second come out. You need to take out a second mortgage to buy all of his stuff!
PS Eagerly awaiting the new album later this month!

My understanding is the complete album collection is just that, every official release (skipping the Bootleg series) in remastered stereo on CD. I haven't heard since I didn't buy it ha ha. I don't think it includes any mono mixes.

The Mono collection is the original mono mixes of his albums up until "John Wesley Hardin". After that album there were no Mono mixes, just the stereo ones since mono was abandoned by the industry. I bought it on CD boxset and loved it. I picked up the vinyl boxset on a deal and I think it sounds even better. Similar to the Beatles in this period, all thought and time was spent on the mono versions, with the stereo mix done as an after thought. So, while not as extreme with Dylan due to the music, there are some sonic differences. I prefer the Mono.

And I hope they start putting out more vinyl sets to continue on where the Mono one left off. the Beatles are a bit of a rip, there should of been a Vinyl box called "The Original Mixes" instead of two separate mono and stereo ones.

I haven't compared it to the stereo remasters since I never bought it, so I don't know if they corrected the annoying guitar in one speaker, voice in the other that drove me crazy on the early stereo CDs.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users