What's new

Boy on a Dolphin (1957) (2 Viewers)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Surprised Fox has not restored this film for Blu-Ray here in the States. It was released by Magnetic Video on VHS and Betamax in 1977 as one of the 50 original titles from Fox, and has pretty much never been released on video again. At least not here in the States.

More importantly, this film marked the English-language debut of Italian sex symbol Sophia Loren. With Loren turning 80 this year, wouldn't now be a good time to release the film on Blu-Ray here in the states in a restored form? When this film was released by Magnetic Video in 1977, it was severely cropped from the original 2.35:1 negative.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm there for it. This one has been a mystery to me also. I have lately assumed it was poor elements for a transfer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw it on the Fox Movie Channel a couple of months ago. Looked OK. Certainly worthy of one of their Cinema Archive letterbox releases even if that's not what we REALLY want.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I saw it when it was first released. It was a very popular film and the music was unforgettable. It is indeed time for a bluray release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Very remote chances of seeing this movie on blu-ray anytime soon. I don't even know of a decent DVD. A half-assed Fox Cinema Archives release will probably be the best we'll get for a very long time.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's my guess that the film needs extensive restoration work and Fox doesn't see it as a money making title like their R&H musicals or Marilyn Monroe movies so I wouldn't hold my breath. The film has been released in wide screen in Australia, England, Spain and Germany but they have all been non anamorphic 4x3 letterbox transfers and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we're given when it hits the the Fox Cinema Archives.

If the film were releasable in its present state, don't you think that Twilight Time would be all over it?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I haven't seen this but I would love to (since I'm Greek too). I understand it has beautiful scenery...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I picked up the recent German non-anamorphic widescreen DVD. The image was not bad at all, but having to zoom in on it compromised it quite a bit. It seemed to me, though, that whatever print was used there might make a very serviceable blu-ray. The film is just wonderful, heavenly Friedhofer score and drop dead gorgeous scenery and cinematography. It is just a crying shame that no one will attempt to release a BD of it. I, too, thought it would one of the first of the TT titles. I wish that they would jump into this discussion and tell us why this one is non-grata, as it is very famous due in no small part to Ms. Loren's sensuous diving scenes. Beyond that, it remains a phenomenal motion picture in its own right. If that DVD is from a German print, can't Fox get its hands on it? Come on, somebody, get this one out and in blu-ray!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ed Lachmann said:
It seemed to me, though, that whatever print was used there might make a very serviceable blu-ray.
That's just it, Ed. I don't think Twilight Time or the HTF blu people want "serviceable". If TT released Boy On A Dolphin in its present state (assuming the German release represents the best elements available), there would be complaints galore about it not looking good and at TT's prices, too.

Maybe it's as simple as there not being an anamorphic transfer of BOAD available. Remember the heat TT got when they released a non-anamorhphic Violent Saturday? Frankly, all I want at this point is an anamorphic BOAD. I'd be quite happy with the Boy On A Dolphin German standard DVD release if it were anamorphic.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Thomas T said:
That's just it, Ed. I don't think Twilight Time or the HTF blu people want "serviceable". If TT released Boy On A Dolphin in its present state (assuming the German release represents the best elements available), there would be complaints galore about it not looking good and at TT's prices, too.

Maybe it's as simple as there not being an anamorphic transfer of BOAD available. Remember the heat TT got when they released a non-anamorhphic Violent Saturday? Frankly, all I want at this point is an anamorphic BOAD. I'd be quite happy with the Boy On A Dolphin German standard DVD release if it were anamorphic.
I guess I'm just one of those who would be pleased with this one "warts and all" in blu-ray form. Is it such a financial burden to create a 2K master from a pretty decent print? Some of Kino's "public domain" BDs like A STAR A IS BORN and certainly Flicker Alley's HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME were produced from problematic originals much worse than the one used for BOAD, but I've beyond content with them. I have a nice German widescreen DVD of a not-so-perfect SODOM AND GOMORRAH, but I bit for the recent Fox pan and scan debacle which is DREADFUL. I'll not be buying yet another standard DVD of BOAD no matter what, but I'd RUSH to pre-order it in BD. When it comes to 50's widescreen classics, sadly, beggars can't be choosers.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thomas T said:
If the film were releasable in its present state, don't you think that Twilight Time would be all over it?
Maybe? Not to knock TT but the ratio between films they've released that already got quality DVD releases vs films that never got a proper DVD release (in R1) newly released on blu-ray is heavily skewed toward the DVD retreads. Sure we occasionally get Fox releases like Centennial Summer, Swamp Water, and Pony Soldier and I love them for at least trying to tread into uncharted home video territory, but the reality is we only get 3-4 new to DVD/blu-ray Fox titles annually, tops. They're more the exception than the majority. As such, it would appear TT is very selective among which of these handful of wildcard titles its willing to bet on each year. Is Boy on a Dolphin a significant enough stand-out to catch TT's eye? Who knows? Being color + Cinemascope possibly gives it at least some edge.

So unless TT is specifically eyeballing this particular title over a thousand of others that never got a proper DVD & blu-ray, and the stars alight to bless it with an acceptable HD transfer, it's most likely not going to happen for quite a while. We know Fox isn't likely ever going to release it themselves, so hopefully TT, Criterion, or even a new dark horse in the home video scene picks up the ball in the future with this and other movies in its situation.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, Joe, that's why I'm glad I at least have the German DVD of Boy On A Dolphin. Sure, many HTFers would sneer and say, "If it's not anamorphic I'm not interested" or "If it's not on blu, forget about it!" but for me, it's always been about collecting the movies I love. The technology is here to serve the movies ... not the other way around.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Thomas T said:
Well, Joe, that's why I'm glad I at least have the German DVD of Boy On A Dolphin. Sure, many HTFers would sneer and say, "If it's not anamorphic I'm not interested" or "If it's not on blu, forget about it!" but for me, it's always been about collecting the movies I love. The technology is here to serve the movies ... not the other way around.
Well, I wouldn't say I'm not interested if it's not anamorphic - I have it too - but anamorphic is so much better (all other things being equal) and desirable.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The film has just been released in the UK, but its probably the same non-anamorphic transfer used in the past... I haven't bought it but soon will I imagine.

91zcYyRCgEL._SL1500_.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
John Hermes said:
Well, I wouldn't say I'm not interested if it's not anamorphic - I have it too - but anamorphic is so much better (all other things being equal) and desirable.
Oh, that goes without saying! It's definitely preferable but if it's a matter of non-anamorphic or doing without then ..... I know where I stand!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Thomas T said:
The reviews on amazon.uk indicate that it is indeed non-anamorphic.
I keep plugging away at this title when Fox was doing their survey of titles for classic titles for BD. Hopefully this will happen.
Incidentally I walked in to a shop yesterday that sells LP's and there was the soundtrack on a clean looking Japanese pressing. Naturally I snapped it up and will have a listen later today!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
from TT's facebook more than a year ago:

question:
Any chance of a Blu-ray release for Fox's Boy on a Dolphin, starring Sophia Loren?
TT:
Not at the moment, although it has one Fox has shown interest in doing themselves.
https://www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies/posts/561528713865799

although I'm not sure I understand the syntax. They mean "it is one Fox has shown..."?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks