Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Someone at Fox - please evaluate

Blu-ray Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#201 of 217 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 19 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you...

All I meant was that, like you, I prefer some of the Blu Rays look to the HD master.

HOWEVER,

This thread DID introduce me to Wild River, and I am going to buy it!

You'll be happy you did - it looks great.

• battlebeast likes this

#202 of 217 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,627 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:28 PM

You'll be happy you did - it looks great.

I agree. Of all of the titles from the Fox Vote Your Choice releases, I have watched this one (by far) the most times with The Ghost and Mrs. Muir probably next most frequently.

#203 of 217 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:56 PM

Of perhaps periphery interest, Sky Movies HD in the UK, and part of Fox, have been showing the “blue” (so to speak) version of DESK SET up until recently. However they have now switched to showing the earlier HD version which looks exactly the same as Chuck’s “Previous HD Master” video clip. It’s curious that Sky would go back to the previous master but maybe someone at Sky didn’t like the blue look!

I respect the opinion of those who are adamant that the Blu-ray of DESK SET and others such as INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS is correct but I still have a hard time accepting it because to me it just doesn’t appear right and it’s not a look which I (from my admittedly very distant memory) retain an impression of from seeing Fox films in the ‘50s. Come to think of it, could British prints have looked slightly different to American ones in those days due to different processing laboratories?

#204 of 217 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 03:37 PM

I respect the opinion of those who are adamant that the Blu-ray of DESK SET and others such as INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS is correct 

For the record, I personally have no idea whether or not DESK SET is "correct."  I just know that I never want to watch it any other way (for what that's worth, which isn't much  :P )

• ahollis and ROclockCK like this

#205 of 217 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,117 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 19 2014 - 05:56 PM

POPULAR

For the record, I personally have no idea whether or not DESK SET is "correct."  I just know that I never want it watch it any other way (for what that's worth, which isn't much  :P )

Right, it looks great to me on my HT setup and therefore, I'm happy with it.

• Will Krupp, David Weicker and ahollis like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#206 of 217 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted June 19 2014 - 08:40 PM

To take a quick step back, since I'm just catching up finally...... At 45 I'm starting to feel a bit on the young side! And the first movie I remember seeing in the theatre, because we stood outside in the cold and rain for a long time to finally get in, was........Star Wars! Very small town (we only had a drive in, so we went to another small town about 45 miles away), and it didn't get to our area until the fall! I remember Smokey and the Bandit at the drive in, but I think that was the following summer. It took forever for films to get down to our level, and then those prints probably wouldn't be good at judging correct anything.

But I do wanna thank the "geezers" for the education! ;-)

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#207 of 217 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:59 PM

POPULAR

I'm 34, am I allowed in here yet?

• Will Krupp, ahollis and AnthonyClarke like this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#208 of 217 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 20 2014 - 08:44 PM

I hear that you're so tall and big that no one would dare keep you out.

• Moe Dickstein and ahollis like this

#209 of 217 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 20 2014 - 09:31 PM

TR,

How about if we adopt you? We are all old enough to your parent. Plus I also hear you are the sweetest, gentlest giant.

Good luck with your short!

#210 of 217 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:46 PM

Aww thanks Jose. We can also be Criterion pals too ;)  That's actually the reason I haven't been around much lately, I've been prepping the August shoot and writing the feature film extension of the story (nearly done). Sorry that I missed you when you were in town for the Cinerama screenings.

Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#211 of 217 Filmdoctor

Filmdoctor

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 07:44 PM

Contrary to popular beliefs, Cineric is not a great restoration house. They built the wetgates for Fox. Thay's how they got the projects. And, as much as I dislike them, Fotokem does a much better job at large format titles. See Lawrence of Arabia and Cleopatra as an example. Fotokem just doesn't have a large format (55mm) optical printer. Vince Roth, as far as I am concerned is the best large forat technician in the business. I cut my teeth on VistaVision and Technirama. And I'm pretty good. But Vince has me beat, hands down.

#212 of 217 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 599 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 10:33 AM

Are STAR! and DOCTOR DOLITTLE in good shape for a blu transfer? 

#213 of 217 atfree

atfree

Second Unit

• 317 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 18 2014 - 03:11 PM

Are STAR! and DOCTOR DOLITTLE in good shape for a blu transfer?

Doctor Dolittle was released on BD last year:

http://m.screenpop.c...luray/3516.html

It says Region B but I confirmed with Shock\Veg that all there Hollywood Gold Series are region-free. I don't have this one but several of the other releases and have been very pleased.

It was also released in Germany via Koch and is also region free per this:

http://www.dvdbeaver...tle_blu-ray.htm

Hope this helps.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#214 of 217 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted July 18 2014 - 05:17 PM

Those two Blu-ray releases of 'Doctor Dolittle" are both very disappointing. (from the same source I would think)

The image is brown and ugly, so unless you are desperate, I'd suggest you wait until a US remastered version becomes available.

Doug.

#215 of 217 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 599 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 07:30 PM

When and if it does come out here,it will be one of the best looking large format transfers ever.  I saw this TODD-AO film when it first came out at the United Artists theater in Detroit and it was one of the sharpest most colorful films I"ve seen in 70mm.

#216 of 217 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 18 2014 - 09:16 PM

Those two Blu-ray releases of 'Doctor Dolittle" are both very disappointing. (from the same source I would think)

The image is brown and ugly, so unless you are desperate, I'd suggest you wait until a US remastered version becomes available.

Doug.

That's what heard and thought.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#217 of 217 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 18 2014 - 09:18 PM

When and if it does come out here,it will be one of the best looking large format transfers ever. I saw this TODD-AO film when it first came out at the United Artists theater in Detroit and it was one of the sharpest most colorful films I"ve seen in 70mm.

The UA Theatre in Detroit? What a great theatre it was. Glad it's still standing, but decaying as we speak.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users