What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The LEGO Movie: Everything Is Awesome Edition 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The LEGO Movie: Everything Is Awesome Edition 3D Blu-ray Review

One of the surprise hits so far in 2014 was The LEGO Movie. Released in the dumping grounds of February, the movie definitely benefited by a lack of new family-friendly competition at the box office. The movie could have gone horribly wrong in less capable hands, but writer-directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street) place a lot of love and appreciation into the story, resulting in a film that celebrates imagination and creativity.

Posted Image

Studio: Warner Brothers

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC, 1080P/MVC, 480P/MPEG-2

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1

Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish 5.1 DD, French 5.1 DD, Other

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Other

Rating: PG

Run Time: 1 Hr. 41 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD, UltraViolet

Clear plastic box

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer), DVD-9 (dual layer)

Region: A

Release Date: 06/17/2014

MSRP: $49.99

The Production Rating: 4.5/5

Emmet Brickowski (voiced by Chris Pratt, Guardians of the Galaxy) is a generic, boring, slightly dim-witted (and brainwashed) construction worker in LEGO City. That is, until he comes across the mythical “Piece of Resistance” in some construction rubble, gets captured by a schizophrenic “Good Cop/Bad Cop” (voiced by Liam Neeson) who is under orders to destroy the “Piece,” only to be rescued by Wyldstyle (voiced by Elizabeth Banks) in one of the most thrilling chase sequences captured in an animated film. They escape to “The Old West” to meet up with Vitruvius (voiced by Morgan Freeman), a wizard who was tasked to protect a secret weapon known as the Kragle from Lord/President Business (voiced by Will Ferrell). Lord Business plans to release the Kragle throughout the entire LEGO world to regain order and to “keep people from messing with my stuff.” It is up to Emmet and a team of Master Builders (which include Batman, voiced by Will Arnett, and a Spaceman, voiced by Charlie Day) to reunite the Piece of Resistance with the Kragle, and defeat Lord Business.LEGOs are part of my family tradition, starting with my uncle, who began collecting pieces in the early 1960s. His collection was handed down to me in the early 1970s, my collection to cousins, and eventually to my nieces. What I always loved about LEGO was taking a box of interlocking bricks and creating a house, office building, vehicle, virtually anything my mind could come up with. Over the years, I felt that LEGO had diminished that creative urge with its model kits, pushing more generic boxes of assorted pieces off most retailer’s shelves. In essence, creating a world of Emmets, young people who can only build something according to instructions. And that, I think, is what appeals most to me in The LEGO Movie, as Phil Lord and Christopher Miller satirize that loss of creativity with the workers, making them drones to Lord Business, willing to spend $11.00 for a cup of coffee, faithfully watch the banal one-joke sitcom Where Are My Pants, and listen to the hit song Everything Is Awesome ad nauseum (“I could listen to this song for hours!”).Animation studio Animal Logic replicates the stop-motion style of the fan-made LEGO short “brick films” so well, it rarely, if ever, resembles CGI animation (which was used for more than 80% of the film). That includes the lack of motion blur (often resulting in some occasional choppy animation), textures on the plastic pieces (sometimes including cracks and fingerprints), and using computer generated LEGO pieces to create everything in the film (including smoke, fire, water, etc.).The LEGO Movie could have easily been nothing more than a 100-minute LEGO commercial or a big-screen version of the many made-for-video releases that have come before. Surprisingly, the result is a film full of warmth, laughs for all ages, and a storyline that isn’t afraid to thumb its nose at its corporate sponsors.

Video Rating: 5/5 3D Rating: 3.5/5

The 2D version contains a 1080p AVC encoded transfer that retains the film’s original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.40:1. Colors are vibrant and consistent, detail is exceptional (you would think that actual LEGO pieces were used in the film), blacks are deep and inky. This could very well be considered reference material and a great demo disc.The 3D version consists of a 1080p MVC encoded transfer, also retaining the film’s 2.40:1 aspect ratio, and is everything listed above in the 2D version. The major difference is the wonderful sense of depth that is used throughout the film, from the confined spaces of Emmet’s apartment, to the never-ending streets of LEGO City, and the vast wasteland of The Old West. There are a few instances where items come very close to a pop-out effect (such as Vitruvius’ staff during the opening prologue), but, unfortunately, that’s all there is. It’s a pleasing and enjoyable 3D experience, but could have been much more. More good news - I saw no evidence of cross talk or ghosting on my Samsung UN60F7100 LED TV while viewing with the Samsung-provided active glasses.

Audio Rating: 5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack is as much fun as the film itself. Dialogue is directed mostly to the center channel, and is always clear and intelligible. The track also uses a lot of discrete surround effects, including some mesmerizing 360 degree panning effects (particularly at the 34:52 mark). LFE is also strong throughout, particularly during Batman’s Untitled Self Portrait song where he demos his new subwoofers and the final battle sequence. Like the video presentation, this is reference material worthy of a demo disc.

Special Features Rating: 4/5

The Everything Is Awesome Edition comes in a clear plastic box that includes a 3D Emmet “photo” plus an exclusive Vitruvius LEGO minifigure, along with the 3D and 2D Blu-ray and DVD discs housed in a 2-sided Blu-ray case. I am refusing to list the 3D version of the film as a bonus feature. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume, based on the artwork on the Blu-ray keepcase, that Warner Bros. was originally going to release a stand alone 3D combo pack in addition to the DVD, BD/DVD, and this collector’s edition.All of the special features are provided on the 2D Blu-ray disc.Audio Commentary: Directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are joined by cast members Chris Pratt (Emmet), Alison Brie (Unikitty), Will Arnett (Batman) and Charlie Day (1980s Spaceman).Batman’s A True Artist (1080p; 1:12): A fan-made music video for Untitled Self Portrait.Michelangelo and Lincoln: History Cops (1080p; 1:21): A fake trailer for a film that features two of The LEGO Movie’s master builder characters.Enter the Ninjago (1080p; 2:13 ): What is a Ninjago was added to several scenes of The LEGO Movie?Behind the Scenes: Bringing The LEGO Movie to Life (1080p: 12:36): Chris Pratt (as Emmet) narrates this look at the making of the movie.“Everything Is Awesome” Sing Along (1080p; 3:19): Music video, with on-screen lyrics, of the movie’s theme song.Behind the Scenes: See It, Build It! (1080p): Senior designer Michael Fuller shows viewers how to build the double decker couch and Emmet’s car out of LEGO bricks, while modeling artist Adam Ryan shows how those same two items were created for the movie.Behind the Scenes: Stories from the Story Team (1080p; 4:02): Members of the storyboard team discuss some of their favorite sequences that didn’t make it into the movie.Fan-Made Films: Top Secret Submissions (1080p; 3:51): Chris Pratt introduces several short films submitted by fans that were used in the finished film.Outtakes (1080p; 2:33): A tongue-in-cheek blooper reel.Additional Promotional Content (1080p; 3:51): Promo spots for the film.Alleyway Test (1080p; 0:55): The first animation test createds for the film, featuring Wyldstyle building the getaway motorcycle.Deleted Scenes (1080p; 3:20): Two scenes in storyboard form that were cut before final animation.Dream Job: Meet the LEGO Builders (1080p; 13:28): A fascinating look at the people who design the LEGO kits. This featurette is exclusive to the Everything Is Awesome Edition.DVD Version: Includes the feature film and the audio commentary only, in standard (480p) definition.UltraViolet Digital Copy: A redemption code is included on an insert along with instructions on how to obtain a digital copy of the film. At press time, readers were reporting that some UV partners were providing The Lego Movie cropped to 1.78:1. Here's a rundown on UV partners and which versions of The LEGO Movie they are offering:
  • VUDU: HDX 1.78:1 with Dolby 5.1
  • M-Go: SD 2:40:1 with stereo audio
  • CinemaNow: HD 2.40:1 with DTS-HD 5.1
  • Target Ticket: HD 2.40:1 with stereo audio
  • Flixster: HD 2.40:1 with stereo audio
Free 2-year Subscription to LEGO Club and LEGO Club Junior Magazines: An insert provides instructions on how to redeem the free subscriptions.Free Child’s Admission to LEGOLAND: Coupon for free child’s admission with paid full-price adult admission to LEGOLAND California or Florida.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

Forcing fans who want the 3D version to purchase the collector’s edition caused me to drop my overall score by a half point. That being said, The LEGO Movie is a treat, both in 3D and 2D, and deserves to be on any avid movie fan’s shelf.

Reviewed By: Todd Erwin

Support HTF when you buy this title:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another 2 and a half D release then, Hollywood is doing it's best to kill off 3D.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Thank you for your review.

I see you and I are very agreeable on the level of 3D pop-out.

I read a 3D review of this title on another website and the reviewer was
talking about how immensely great the pop-out was.

Sorry, but I didn't see it that way, and I'm happy to see that your review
reaffirmed those findings.

And yes, Malcolm, I again agree that Hollywood is trying to kill off 3D.
A film like this would have been the perfect opportunity to exaggerate
the level of pop-out towards its audience. A lost opportunity for certain.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Across several reviews, nobody is mentioning the "Bonus 3D Movie" advertised on the box of this "Everything is Awesome" edition. Can someone please reveal exactly what this is, or if it has been removed from the release?

EDIT: Jesus, they're not listing The Lego Movie in 3D as the "Bonus 3D Movie" are they?! I had assumed that this was some bonus 3D short film that was only on the 3D release, but looking at the box again, I think I'm in for a sobering revelation...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Across several reviews, nobody is mentioning the "Bonus 3D Movie" advertised on the box of this "Everything is Awesome" edition. Can someone please reveal exactly what this is, or if it has been removed from the release?
The actual film is the Bonus 3D Movie.

I know...Warner didn't exactly describe it well.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Ronald Epstein said:
The actual film is the Bonus 3D Movie.

I know...Warner didn't exactly describe it well.
That's pretty appalling. Between that, and the packaging of the US set, I think I will just import the 3D release from another country.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's pretty appalling. Between that, and the packaging of the US set, I think I will just import the 3D release from another country.
I would.

This was obviously an experiment by the studio.

Horrible experiment given exorbitant price charged for the box of junk
that attempted to force the hands of collectors that simply wanted the film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
"Bonus 3D movie" ...? Almost sounds like WB is ashamed that the 3D version exists, but they will put it in the box as a "bonus" and favor for those of us that still buy into the 3D
Sigh. If Hollywood wants to kill off 3D just rip the band aid off instead of pulling junk like this.
Anyway great review Todd. Sad to hear that the 3D doesn't really pop.

Bill Coolidge

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the movie in 3D and 2D and the 3D is much preferred. All the swirling legos flying through the air lose all their "pop!" in 2D. On another topic can anyone tell me was the giant Emmet head is about? It is just a big vacu-formed plastic decoration or does it serve a purpose such as holding disks or something?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So does anyone know the skinny on the non-60 dollar version? I just want the damn movie

I don't believe it's anywhere close to $60. More like $35 last time I looked. However,
that is still too damn expensive. I think there is a single version available as a U.K. import.

On another topic can anyone tell me was the giant Emmet head is about? It is just a big vacu-formed plastic decoration or does it serve a purpose such as holding disks or something?

It's an ugly, plastic 3D picture where Emmet's face comes forward. Totally worthless.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bryan^H said:
"Bonus 3D movie" ...? Almost sounds like WB is ashamed that the 3D version exists, but they will put it in the box as a "bonus" and favor for those of us that still buy into the 3D
Sigh. If Hollywood wants to kill off 3D just rip the band aid off instead of pulling junk like this.
Anyway great review Todd. Sad to hear that the 3D doesn't really pop.
It's funny how they seem to love that there's a 3D version when it comes to the theatrical release, but then get skittish about it for the home release.

Studios have in the past made the claim (rightly so, I believe) that 3D can be so much more than a gimmick, and can really enhance the film, and be a part of it. And that's what I want. But if 3D is part of the movie, then I think it has to be released on 3D for home viewers in an edition as readily available as the 2D version. And if it's not important to the film, and not worth releasing a 3D disc, then how can they ask me to pay more to see it that way in theaters? In my opinion… it's either part of the film, or it isn't. And if it is, it really should be included for people buying a copy. It's not uncommon for discs to be loaded with features that not everyone can use -- most movies have surround sound tracks, and most Blu-rays feature lossless audio -- but the discs work perfectly fine for anyone just watching on a regular television and listening through TV speakers. But it's generally accepted that the surround mix is part of the film, and no one is asking us to pay an extra premium just to get the movie as its makers intended and in the same format that was available theatrically.

Bottom line for me is, I want my Blu-ray copies of movies to be representative of the filmmakers intent. If the filmmakers intended to make it in 3D, then the disc should have that. And when the 3D version was mastered digitally and projected digitally in theaters, how much more expensive can it really be to convert those files to something that plays on Blu-ray?

The studios want us to treat 3D as an essential part of the moviegoing experience for which we're willing to pay extra, but then they treat it like a gimmick, and wonder why many people think of it as a gimmick too.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As I mentioned in my review, I have a feeling that Warner had originally planned a separate 3D version, sans the Emmet head and Vitruvius figure, since the artwork on the back of the Blu-ray case has the same layout as any other Warner 3D Blu-ray release.

LegoMovieBack.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Todd, I'm sure you're right. When the movie was first offered for pre-order on Amazon, it was listed as being available as a standard 3D edition, and cover art was posted -- it wasn't one of those placeholder preorders where you don't actually get any product information. Then it was outright cancelled, but anyone who had signed up for that version got a credit from Amazon for the price difference between that and the Everything Is Awesome set.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I updated the UltraViolet section under Special Features to include which versions many of the UV partners are offering, with CinemaNow having the best option over even VUDU in terms of specs.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Tony J Case said:
So does anyone know the skinny on the non-60 dollar version? I just want the damn movie.
If you only want the 3D disc, eBay has it for $11.95 plus $2.32 shipping.

Edit: had it, gone now. $17.50 and free shipping at 3:42PM EST.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RolandL said:
If you only want the 3D disc, eBay has it for $11.95 plus $2.32 shipping.

Edit: had it, gone now. $17.50 and free shipping at 3:42PM EST.
These are folks just removing and selling the 3D disc included with the EVERYTHING set. But if one gets the import, it's a complete combo (which includes all the extras listed by the OP, including commentary, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks