What's new

*** Official "BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF"Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Saw this trailer a couple of times now and it has me interested. It certainly seems to have some interesting cinemetography and could be a great story. Is it your typical werewolf story or something more? The official web site (located at: http://www.brotherhoodofthewolf.net/
) claims that the movie is based on:
"the events taking place during the reign of King Louis XV, THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF revisits one of the rare French myths, that of the "Beast of Gevaudan" which killed a number of persons before being vanquished under mysterious circumstances."
Sounds rather interesting. Anyone have a sneek peek yet or know anything more about this wonderful looking French movie?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I saw it at the Boston Film Festival in September; my review is here.
In short: Best damn popcorn movie in quite some time. It's not your typical werewolf movie and is really an amazing blend of European, American, and Hong Kong moviemaking techniques. I intend to push this on people nearly as obnoxiously as I did with Happy Accidents.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm very excited to see this one as well. I've heard fantastic things, and the trailer is simply fantastic.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This is definitely one I want to check out. Heard nothing but good things about it, so I am just waiting for it to hit the Nation's Capital:D
Take care,
Chuck

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The trailer on the apple website looks good. I live in a small town that I know won't show this movie so I will have to wait for the DVD.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm looking forward to this one as well. The trailer sucked me in simply because it used music from one of my favorite movies - Dark City

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Funny thing about the music to the movie - even though it's a French production, Joseph LoDuca wrote the score. I knew Gans was influnced by Sam Raimi (the opening scenes are a dead giveaway), but grabbing LoDuca seems to be extreme.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will see it for Monica Bellucci. Mmmm.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anything about this film but once I saw the trailer I knew that I had to see it. Looks interesting.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I never even heard of this film. I just checked out the trailer and it does look pretty good. I sure would like to see it.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m sorry to say this, but I own this movie on a magnificent 3-DVD set! Excellent movie! :D

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
First Amélie, and now this! Sam, your teasing is pushing me into buying a region-free player. :)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I have the dvd as well and I can say that it is a must see movie.

The movie is realy well done and has some nice action-shots.

Anyway this is recommended !!!!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I will see it for Monica Bellucci. Mmmm.
Amen to that, Carlos. I find her screen presence magnetic.

Just checked Landmark Theater's website. It lists Boston as the only city which showed/shows/will show The Brotherhood of the Wolf. Anyone know when this may open on a wider scale?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think Universal is sort of watching the early results. If it has one of those huge NY/LA openings on the 11th (you know, enthusiastic reviews, >$10K per-screen averages, everything sold out), and then does one of those cracking-the-top-ten-despite-only-being-in-200-theaters deals a couple weeks later, they'll strike more prints and it will open a lot wider in early February, but if it just performs like the average foreign movie, they'll just shuttle prints around.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
One question I have is if this movie was done in French or if it is English or subtitled or dubbed? In the trailers I have seen, none of the actors speak which makes me think that it is done in French with subtitles which is just fine by me. I really loved "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and thought it was better with subtitles rather than English dub.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The print I saw was subtitled.

There was an interesting article in the Boston Globe a couple months ago tied into the Iron Monkey release where Harvey Weinstein of Miramax said that subtitles don't have the stigma that they used to. His reasoning was that young people today are used to reading as part of everyday life, thanks to text pagers, instant messaging, and email, and thus don't find subtitles as annoying as their parents did.

I don't know if Universal shares that attitude, but the preview prints have been subtitled, and all the posters include the original french title Le Pact De Loups alongside Brotherhood Of The Wolf, so I'd bet on subtitles. Also, I don't think you'd platform-release a dubbed version.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
The movie was shot in french. I also have the french 3 DVD set lying around at home for over a month now. I don't watch the movie since the movie is in french but the DVD doesn't have neiter english nor german subtitles...guess I have to wait for another release to finally see this movie!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from seeing this one. While I'd hardly classify it as a "masterpice" (as Universal's marketing department is), Brotherhood of the Wolf is a damn entertaining concoction of Beowulf, John Woo, Sam Raimi and a half-dozen other influences.
I'm off to start my review, but I'd definitely give this one a solid 4 out of 5 stars. (It tends to drag a bit in the middle.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks