What's new

22 Jump Street - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the inevitable followup, both Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill return as undercover cops who are just a little too old to be posing as college students while trying to find out who's the drug dealer on campus.

Once again, a lot of meta-references to it being a sequel, some funny, some just groan-worthy. It takes a little while to find its groove, but there are a couple of big laughs, and some weird fight scenes at the end. But I got the feeling they were making the story up as they went along.

So, not really the greatest sequel, just competent. Stay after for the immediate end credits for some more fun with upcoming Jump Street sequel ideas.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
From my review:
The broad strokes of the story are virtually identical this second time around, which is all part and parcel of the running joke that screenwriters Michael Bacall, Oren Uziel and Rodney Rothman have built the sequel (and its charm) on. But that doesn't mean that they haven't put a fresh coat of paint on the familiar routine to keep things interesting.

As seems to be the trend with comedies these days, there's a token amount of bromance added to the mix. Here, it's injected via a budding friendship between Jenko and a college athlete nicknamed Zook (Wyatt Russell) that throws a football-sized wrench into the increasingly fragile Schmidt-Jenko dynamic (a full-fledged bromance in its own right that's explored in comic detail throughout the course of the story).

But in general, the story replicates the feel of the original — including another instance where the pair trip out on the very drug they're investigating, this time while they're trying to surveil some potential suspects — with equally hilarious results, proving that the chemistry between Hill and Tatum has yet to fizzle.
3.5 out of 5 for me. I dug the film's self-awareness and Hill and Tatum continue to prove they're a formidable comedic duo. Also, this film is one of those rare cases where the trailer doesn't spoil all the best gags.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hill and Tatum are a really fun duo but Ice Cube stole the show for me ("I'm wearing $800 shoes and you can't even see the motherfuckers!"). If you liked the first one, you'll enjoy this one.

The ending credits gag was very funny.

Yavin said:
Also, this film is one of those rare cases where the trailer doesn't spoil all the best gags.
The jokes don't get ruined for the most part but I was shocked that the trailer showed
the climax of the movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I really liked it too. As funny as the first. Tatum and Hill work great together and the screenplay was very self aware and pretty spot on. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is...a bigger budgeted sequel that tries to outdo the first film. And they are all in on the joke. ***1/4 out of ****

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I felt the original was only a 3 out of 5 so I think I'll wait for the RedBox rental on this one.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah I would imagine if you didn't like the first one you won't like this one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny. Ice Cube was hilarious especially after the great reveal as his facial expressions cracked me up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I laughed my ass off at this one, especially in the first two thirds. I give the first one the edge, because it slowly ramped up the insanity over the course of the running time, whereas this one started out at this level and didn't really have anywhere up to go. Ice Cube is a force of nature. And I think Queen Latifah's cameo as Mrs. Dickson might be the first time an actress's mere appearance on screen served as a sort of punchline.The best part of the movie was the end credits, though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually like 22 over 21, it was just funnier to me. Ice Cube, the Twins, the roommate, the football players just made me laugh more than those supporting characters in the first one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
I actually like 22 over 21, it was just funnier to me. Ice Cube, the Twins, the roommate, the football players just made me laugh more than those supporting characters in the first one.
Yup. The more I think about it, the more I prefer it over the first.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Add me to those who like this one more than the original. I haven't laughed this much at the movies in a long time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I liked the first one a lot but thought "22" was a really weak sequel. Most of the laughs are in the trailer and there's just too much damned self-reference - it's cute for a couple of minutes but then becomes a crutch, like "we don't have real jokes so we'll just make fun of ourselves instead".

Major disappointment for me. I thought the movie went nowhere and dragged forever. I almost started to cry when I saw they were going to spring break - I thought the movie was almost over but realized I had another 20-30 minutes left!

C- grade for me, and that's being generous. Boring and unfunny is no way to go through life, son...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Liked this one a lot more than the first - the self awareness aspect worked quite well. This one had more Ice Cube which made it funnier and the fight scene in Mexico ie the most uncomfortable fight ever - was hilarious. The end credits were a hoot too. 4/5

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks