Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

God's Not Dead (2014), Blu-Ray coming Aug 5th.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted June 11 2014 - 04:52 PM

Brad here.  Being of the Christian faith myself, I can't wait to get this movie on blu-ray (though I admit I did miss it during its theatrical run).  Features Kevin Sorbo whom we all remember from the Hercules TV series.  And if that isn't enough, Dean Cain (Superman from Lois & Clark TV series). 

(Ronald, feel free to put a HTF referral link in here).

Amazon Pre-Order Link

YouTube Trailer

God's_Not_Dead.jpg

Excerpt from Wiki:

Plot

Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), a Christian college student, enrolls in a philosophy class taught by Professor Jeffrey Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) who, as an atheist, demands that his students sign a declaration that "God is dead" to get a passing grade. Josh is the only student in the class who refuses to sign and is then required by Radisson to debate the topic with him, with the class members deciding who wins.

Radisson's girlfriend, Mina (Cory Oliver) is a Christian whom he often belittles in front of his fellow atheist colleagues. Her brother Mark (Dean Cain) is a successful businessman and atheist who refuses to see their mother, who suffers from dementia. Mark breaks up with his girlfriend, Amy (Trisha LaFache), a left-wing blogger, when she is diagnosed with cancer. A girl named Ayisha (Hadeel Sittu), whose family (especially her father) are strongly devout Muslims, is secretly Christian; when her father discovers this, he throws her out.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   vidiot33

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 03:47 AM

I missed this in the theaters too, but looking forward to watching it on Blue Ray. I'm an evangelical Christian too so I hope this finds a wide audience.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 10:31 AM

"..so I hope this finds a wide audience."So it's a good movie?

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,315 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted June 12 2014 - 12:10 PM

POPULAR

So it's a good movie?

The reviews have been pretty poisonous, my favorite one being from a reviewer named Ken Hanke of the Mountain Xpress (in Asheville, NC) which reads, in part "God may not be dead, but I'd be willing to wager this movie at least gave him a faint wave of nausea."

That being said, it has racked up a gross of over $60M since March so that's saying something.

In my opinion, the main conceit (that a professor would ever force students to declare that "God is dead" or face failure) seems a hysterical concept designed to play into the perceived persecution fears of its target audience.  Additionally, the fact that all of the characters who are "not Christian" are drawn as villains does not bode well for it being anything other than an us vs. them propaganda piece.

#5 of 15 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 12:18 PM

As one who is familiar with the world of academia, I can tell you the main conceit is anything but impossible.   I have seen variations of it play out many times.   As for the complaint about non-Christians being drawn as villains, I have also seen a good many more movies of the last few decades go out of their way to make the practicing Christian the only villain of the piece.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Producer

• 3,070 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 12:23 PM

As one who is familiar with the world of academia, I can tell you the main conceit is anything but impossible.   I have seen variations of it play out many times.   As for the complaint about non-Christians being drawn as villains, I have also seen a good many more movies of the last few decades go out of their way to make the practicing Christian the only villain of the piece.

Such as?

I am assuming you will be able to name something where the villian is not an extemist zealot...

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#7 of 15 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 12:51 PM

Making someone an "extremist zealot" Christian as the villain like in Scorsese's remake of "Cape Fear" is exactly what I have in mind. The original didn't give Robert Mitchum that kind of background. And on television, we had a series that called itself "Good Christian BItches" designed to specifically target and mock people of one faith which is in keeping with the prevailing stereotype of the devout Catholic or evangelical as an uptight, sexually repressed monster lying in wait that has also played out many a time on Law And Order and other TV programs and in films of the last few decades. Throw in the broad assaults on orthodox Christian belief in moves like "The Da Vinci Code" and its all the more reason why my heart does not bleed for those who complain about a film like this one being "us against them."

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,315 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted June 12 2014 - 01:08 PM

my heart does not bleed for those who complain about a film like this one being "us against them."

I'll survive...

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 01:43 PM

I find it interesting that there are "christian movies" (like this one apparently) and then there are "biblical movies" (like e.g. Noah). The former takes the religion kinda seriously (follows certain rules of the "true christianity" etc) and the latter mixes religious elements/biblical stories with entertainment. Then many people say that you can't mix religion with entertainment.One of my favourite religious films is actually "The Passion of the Christ". It was a really powerful experience and I'm not even religious.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Producer

• 3,070 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 04:59 AM

I find it interesting that there are "christian movies" (like this one apparently) and then there are "biblical movies" (like e.g. Noah). The former takes the religion kinda seriously (follows certain rules of the "true christianity" etc) and the latter mixes religious elements/biblical stories with entertainment. Then many people say that you can't mix religion with entertainment.One of my favourite religious films is actually "The Passion of the Christ". It was a really powerful experience and I'm not even religious.

I have always found The Passion of the Christ a moving experience!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,740 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 07:38 AM

I work at a "liberal" university.  A professor would be fired for such behavior at this and every state school in "liberal" Oregon.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   vidiot33

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 10:29 AM

Why sure: everyone knows alluniversity profs are conservative, God-fearing individuals!

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,586 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 13 2014 - 10:33 AM

POPULAR

I'm sure it'll do no good but I'll remind everyone that we should be cool and remember the forum's rules.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,465 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 10:54 AM

POPULAR

I've never heard of any philosophy professor asking any such thing. Sounds like he'd be asking for a lawsuit, at the very least.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 12:44 PM

So, tell me about this film? Why should I watch it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users