Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Audrey Hepburn Blu-ray Collection

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 of 46 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 05:13 AM

It sounds like those saying Hepburn was miscast are really saying the character was incorrectly written, as Hepburn is indeed the perfect choice for that version of Holly. If Monroe had been cast instead, for a Holly more like the one in the novella, no doubt she'd be perfect for that version of Holly. Or at least that's my attempt at mediating the issue. ☺

No, I don't think Audrey was perfect for the movie version of the character. I never read the book, so I can't compare the movie Holly to the text one.  All I know is that I don't think she fits the movie character well.  She's supposed to be a Texan, for God's sake!  Yeah, I know they try to explain away her lack of accent,. but I still don't feel Audrey works in the role for a variety of reasons.

Monroe could've pulled off the character's mix of flightiness, sexuality and world-weariness much, much better, methinks.

And dammit, I actually like "My Fair Lady"!  I guess I'm the only person who likes Audrey in "MFL" and thinks she's weak in "BAT"! :lol:

• Will Krupp and AnthonyClarke like this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#42 of 46 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 12 2014 - 05:18 AM

I just can't understand why Roman Holiday didn't come out on it's anniversary year in 2013, this does not bode well for a future release, i have been waiting patiently for it and they didn't release it, i think it's Paramount but don't they have a deal with Warner in place, i do wonder if any money was spent on a new film scan for it or whether all they have is an older outdated master.

• Cameron Yee and Will Krupp like this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#43 of 46 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 06:05 AM

It sounds like those saying Hepburn was miscast are really saying the character was incorrectly written, as Hepburn is indeed the perfect choice for that version of Holly. If Monroe had been cast instead, for a Holly more like the one in the novella, no doubt she'd be perfect for that version of Holly. Or at least that's my attempt at mediating the issue. ☺

There is no doubt that the character in the film does things that Blake Edwards obviously tailored to Miss Hepburn.  However, the basics of the story, and what is supposed to be happening (all these men, including gangsters paying for her "attention"), are not suited to her, at all.  That's what's so fascinating about the film.  Her look and manner, which became iconic, are pure Hepburn; but many of the lines scream Marilyn Monroe, who's casting no one would debate.  I'm not an AH fan, and it's one of the two films I think she really owns, so I'm just fine with her casting.

#44 of 46 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,281 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 12 2014 - 10:21 AM

And dammit, I actually like "My Fair Lady"!

I do, too, and think she should have gotten the Oscar for it. Yes, that's right. The Oscar. And if the dubbing is what cost her the nomination, what's Rita Moreno's excuse? She won in West Side Story with a little help from Betty Wand. Deborah Kerr was also nominated for The King and I, and IIRC she knew right off the bat she was going to be dubbed.

As for Tiffany's, the only real problem is Mickey Rooney. It was uncomfortable even for 1961, the same year Universal was casting actual Asians for Flower Drum Song. Yet Mickey's still 100% committed to the bits, bad as they are.

that waste of high quality film stock.  

You wouldn't know it from the current Blu-ray.

• FoxyMulder likes this

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#45 of 46 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,004 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 12 2014 - 06:34 PM

Although Julie would have been better, I quite like Audrey in MFL. And I dislike her intensely in BAT.

I remember playing hookey from school with a couple of friends to see BAT when it was first released. And I remember thinking then ... god, what a crap movie. Although I did love and still love the Mancini theme song. Self-indulgent wank, I thought then.

But I do love Audrey, esp in Sabrina, Charade and Green Mansions and yes, MFL. The two disappointments for me are BAT and Two for the Road, which I enjoyed first time around, but which now seems v. dated indeed.

#46 of 46 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 12 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'm starting to sense that the consensus here is that everyone dosen't like Aurdey in BAT. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users