-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Audrey Hepburn Blu-ray Collection

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 of 46 Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 254 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted June 09 2014 - 05:06 PM

Am I the only Audrey Hepburn fan who hates BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S?

I didn't care for it at all - very disappointing after hearing so much about it.

#22 of 46 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 05:24 PM

I can't claim to be the world's biggest Audrey fan, but I do strongly dislike "Tiffany's"!

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#23 of 46 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 09 2014 - 07:25 PM

How can anyone dislike Breakfast At Tiffany's it's simply iconic in very sense. It's not my favorite Audrey film of all time, but it's in my top 5 though. Tiffany's cemented Audrey into what she is remembered to today.

#24 of 46 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 08:52 PM

ROMAN HOLIDAY has been restored and looks superb in HD.  There is no excuse for withholding the Blu Ray of Audrey's Oscar wining role!!!!!!   Warner continues to plummet in my estimation!

• Will Krupp and FoxyMulder like this
Ken

#25 of 46 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,308 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 09:49 PM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 46 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 916 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 03:25 AM

How can anyone dislike Breakfast At Tiffany's it's simply iconic in very sense. 

well.....(since you asked ;) ) I think it's an ugly story about some severely damaged people who get by by using everyone around them, which would be fine except that they've cynically tried to sanitize that scenario into a family friendly romantic comedy.  For me, those two disparate elements never gel and it doesn't work.  I find most of the movie to be forced and the attempts to add cutesy moments to soften the hard edges irritate the hell out of me.  

I like George Axelrod but his screenplay reads like a Hollywood exec's idea of 1950's Bohemian New York. He wasn't (he's usually a great writer of "New York") and he should have known better. 

The movie is gorgeous to look at and the performances are uniformly good (the fact that I don't believe for a minute that Audrey Hepburn could ever be a backwoods child bride notwithstanding) but I don't ultimately care about any of them because I can see the tacked on, out of place "happy ending" coming from a mile away.  Is she going to continue to call her lover by her dead brother's name?  How "kooky!"

The whole thing is uncomfortable and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I think it's a creepy movie.

Listen, I know I'm in the minority (Axelrod was even Oscar nominated for the script I loathe so what do I know?) and it's pleased a lot of people for a long time but, there you have it.  As I always tell people, "Don't go by me, I actually LIKED Lucille Ball's MAME."

• AnthonyClarke likes this

#27 of 46 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,872 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 10 2014 - 04:12 AM

I reviewed the movie on DVD so my opinion about it is out there for all to see. They were certainly users, but they both eventually learn from their mistakes and move into something they've never really experienced before - love for someone other than themselves, so it completely wins me over. And that immortal Henry Mancini score (and I'm not just talking about "Moon River." I used to listen to the album for hours on end contemplating my life and loves).

Mickey Rooney's work is a blemish, no doubt about it, but I truly enjoy the movie's chic kookiness and its mix of comedy and drama.

To each his own.

• Everett Stallings and Cameron Yee like this

#28 of 46 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 04:13 AM

well.....(since you asked ;) ) I think it's an ugly story about some severely damaged people who get by by using everyone around them, which would be fine except that they've cynically tried to sanitize that scenario into a family friendly romantic comedy.  For me, those two disparate elements never gel and it doesn't work.  I find most of the movie to be forced and the attempts to add cutesy moments to soften the hard edges irritate the hell out of me.  

I like George Axelrod but his screenplay reads like a Hollywood exec's idea of 1950's Bohemian New York. He wasn't (he's usually a great writer of "New York") and he should have known better. 

The movie is gorgeous to look at and the performances are uniformly good (the fact that I don't believe for a minute that Audrey Hepburn could ever be a backwoods child bride notwithstanding) but I don't ultimately care about any of them because I can see the tacked on, out of place "happy ending" coming from a mile away.  Is she going to continue to call her lover by her dead brother's name?  How "kooky!"

The whole thing is uncomfortable and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I think it's a creepy movie.

Listen, I know I'm in the minority (Axelrod was even Oscar nominated for the script I loathe so what do I know?) and it's pleased a lot of people for a long time but, there you have it.  As I always tell people, "Don't go by me, I actually LIKED Lucille Ball's MAME."

Don't apologize for disliking the movie - own it, man! : :D

And you left out a major reason for antipathy toward the film: Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi!

http://www.dvdmg.com...iffanysbr.shtml

Colin Jacobson

#29 of 46 John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 05:18 AM

Am I the only Audrey Hepburn fan who hates BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S?

I'm not an AH fan, but I'm completely fascinated by the fact that, although she couldn't be more miscast, she's so captivating in the thing.  To me, her only real acting performance is in THE NUN'S STORY.  All other films, she manages to get by on her incredible face, and screen presence.  I hated her in WAIT UNTIL DARK, because I had seen it on Broadway, with the infinitely better, Lee Remick, but have come to sort of like it, over the years.  At any rate, the guys are good and Mancini's score is great, even if she does come off like she's in a high school play.

#30 of 46 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 916 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 06:33 AM

They were certainly users, but they both eventually learn from their mistakes and move into something they've never really experienced before - love for someone other than themselves

Oh I GET it, I just don't BUY it!   :P

Don't apologize for disliking the movie - own it, man! : :D

Well, I admit to being a little gun-shy because I see so many opinions on the internet being passed off as authoritative fact that I want to make it clear that it's just an opinion and isn't authoritative to anybody but me. 

• ahollis likes this

#31 of 46 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 06:45 AM

I'm always one to look for a silver lining to every cloud.

WB have Roman Holiday and Wait Until Dark in high def.  If they didn't think they'd sell as standalones and wanted to unload them cheaply they could have stuck them in this box and whopped $15 on the price.

This hopefully bodes well for standalone releases, which they presumably think can sell on their own.

There are almost certainly flaws in this argument through which you could drive the proverbial coach and horses, just let me dream.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#32 of 46 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 06:45 AM

I'm not an AH fan, but I'm completely fascinated by the fact that, although she couldn't be more miscast, she's so captivating in the thing.  To me, her only real acting performance is in THE NUN'S STORY.  All other films, she manages to get by on her incredible face, and screen presence.  I hated her in WAIT UNTIL DARK, because I had seen it on Broadway, with the infinitely better, Lee Remick, but have come to sort of like it, over the years.  At any rate, the guys are good and Mancini's score is great, even if she does come off like she's in a high school play.

I don't think Hepburn's performance is bad, per se - I just think she's woefully miscast.  As I mention in my review, Marilyn Monroe - originally thought of for the part - would've been MUCH better.  I've never been a big Marilyn fan, but she fits that role to a T...

Colin Jacobson

#33 of 46 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,365 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 10 2014 - 08:16 AM

B@T has some notable issues, as some have mentioned, but it's hard not to be charmed by the film as a whole. And I'm probably over-analyzing to an extent, but I continue to be moved by the film's theme around names – rejecting them, making new ones, and finally accepting them (and ultimately ourselves). Holly's desperate search for the cat she kicked to the curb gets me every time, because it's a scene about self-acceptance and self-respect more than anything.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#34 of 46 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 10 2014 - 01:18 PM

For everyone who is moaning about the fact that they didn't choose new titles to include in this collection, just remember this is simply a repackaging. They aren't going to spend money to author new Blu-rays for a slapdash box set. In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they didn't even press any new discs for this set but are just putting them together using overstock!

• Will Krupp and Ken Koc like this

#35 of 46 John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 04:37 AM

I don't think Hepburn's performance is bad, per se - I just think she's woefully miscast.  As I mention in my review, Marilyn Monroe - originally thought of for the part - would've been MUCH better.  I've never been a big Marilyn fan, but she fits that role to a T...

Which is exactly the point I was making.  She's completely miscast, yet, it is her defining role; and, rightfully so.  She's mesmerizing in it.  I just never thought she was much of an actress, and am perplexed by those who think she's is.  She's too lovely to ever dislike her, though.  Although I really do hate her in MY FAIR LADY, but then, I hate everything about that waste of high quality film stock.  

• Eric Vedowski likes this

#36 of 46 Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 05:15 PM

This is a great discussion.  Stealing an analogy from Pauline Kael (about The Way We Were), Breakfast at Tiffany's is like a ship full of huge holes that should sink but instead sails calmly into port and docks without a hitch.  

Everything mentioned here is true: Audrey is miscast, the story is neutered beyond plausibility, the particular New York milieu is sanitized beyond recognition, Mr. Yunioshi is a cringingly racist caricature, and yet...people love this movie, including me.

Part of the reason is that I first saw it at what turned out to be a peak movie-going experience in my life:

The Paramount Theatre in Oakland is a restored movie palace--gloriously restored--that showed (shows?) a variety of programs, and they had scheduled Breakfast at Tiffany's for a night in January of 1993.

As it turned out, Audrey died the week before that Friday night, though Tiffany's had been scheduled months in advance.  So that showing turned into a wake:  3000 seats (it's a huge theatre) all filled, all there to see Audrey in her trademark role and say goodbye.  People applauded all through the opening credits, most loudly, I think, for "Cat."  And I have never seen or HEARD such an ovation at the end of a movie.  

We're social creatures, and that certainly informs/skews our taste and appreciation.  But I will always love that movie for all the love wafting toward the screen in 1993.

(Oh, yeah, and Audrey's Eliza Doolittle is execrable.)

• Mark Walker and Will Krupp like this

#37 of 46 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 11 2014 - 05:43 PM

I've been hearing for years that Audrey was miscast for Holly, but I can't think of any other actress that could've been more right for that part than her. 

• FoxyMulder likes this

#38 of 46 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,365 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 11 2014 - 06:07 PM

POPULAR

It sounds like those saying Hepburn was miscast are really saying the character was incorrectly written, as Hepburn is indeed the perfect choice for that version of Holly. If Monroe had been cast instead, for a Holly more like the one in the novella, no doubt she'd be perfect for that version of Holly. Or at least that's my attempt at mediating the issue. ☺
  • Matt Hough, Escapay and John Maher_289910 like this
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#39 of 46 Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted June 11 2014 - 06:15 PM

The first time I purchased any Audrey Hepburn film on my own was in 2004 when I picked up Paramount's "Audrey Hepburn DVD Collection" in its first of several incarnations.  That set contained Roman HolidaySabrina, and Breakfast at Tiffany's, which I've taken to think of as my Holy Trinity of Hepburn.  

Seeing a three-movie collection that replaces Roman Holiday with Funny Face (a fine film, regardless) just feels (arbitrarily) wrong to me.  I know it's more due to the order in which Warner decided to release her films to Blu-Ray.  But I'd have been more interested in this set had it been my Holy Trinity again.  More for the sentimentality of it than any practical reason.  

• FoxyMulder likes this

#40 of 46 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 11 2014 - 06:38 PM

I'm sorta surprised that they didn't put My Fair Lady in this collection, but I guess Paramount got to keep that film as its owned by CBS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users