• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#81 of 207 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,439 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 17 2014 - 07:55 AM

Twilight Time regrets to announce that our planned August 12th release of the Jerome Kern classic musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER on blu-ray has been indefinitely postponed. This is due to ongoing and unresolved rights issues that prevent the film from being made available to home video at this time. It is hoped that one day in the not too distant future this situation will be rectified, but in the meantime we will adjust and revise our schedule accordingly. Along with many of you we are disappointed that the wait for this long out-of-print film will continue for that bit longer....

I wish this site had an option button labelled "Don't Like at ALL!"  I was really looking foward to this one and hope that the rights issues can be ironed out quickly.  Thanks for the update nonetheless.

• Mark Mayes and FoxyMulder like this

#82 of 207 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 09:42 AM

Oh no!!!!!!! I was really looking forward to this as well! Hopefully the "unresolved rights issues" will be swiftly resolved.

Now regarding those issues, I don't know pretend to know anything about this situation, but in some cases "unresolved rights issues" really meant money was the issue, however I really don't see this very obscure film, with now almost-equally obscure stars, as being much of a moneymaker in 2014.

In fact, I almost considered the release to be a "gift" from Twilight Time.

#83 of 207 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 10:17 AM

Centennial Summer was based on a 1943 novel by Albert Idell.  The most common legal complication for films based on other works stems from the case of Stuart v. Abend (http://en.wikipedia....tewart_v._Abend), where the issue is whether the owner of the film has the rights to distribute it where someone else owns the rights upon which it was based.  I would have thought that Fox would not have licensed this film to Twilight Time if there was this common of an issue with it, but perhaps not.  On the other hand, perhaps there's some odd isssue with the music or something.

• JoHud likes this

#84 of 207 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,615 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 10:18 AM

Now regarding those issues, I don't know pretend to know anything about this situation, but in some cases "unresolved rights issues" really meant money was the issue, however I really don't see this very obscure film, with now almost-equally obscure stars, as being much of a moneymaker in 2014.

If you're suggesting TT is covering dropping this title by fabricating the rights issue as a more excusable pretext because the company second-guessed, I seriously doubt it.  It's more likely that when TT announced the release of this title, Fox's lawyers discovered that there was a snag in the rights somewhere.  I suppose it's possible, but TT is known for taking risks and if they seriously doubted this title, they wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place.

A similar thing happened when the Fox film Boomerang was first issued on DVD and was pulled at the 11th hour.  They eventually fixed that pretty fast and hopefully they do the same here.  Though that was more of an exceptional case since Fox had already spent thousands of dollars manufacturing the DVDs (some of which leaked to the public) and distributing them to retailers beforehand and was more anxious for a return on investment, even at a hefty price.  Centennial Summer, on the other hand, shows no signs that it has gone as far as disc replication or even getting the cover art finalized.

I think this case is somewhere along those lines--since this film is (or was) being released after being ignored by Fox for so long, their marketing lawyers double checked this title to ensure no lawsuits would arise from copyright and indeed discovered a discrepency that had previously been overlooked.  Since this is a musical, the most likely reason was that there was a song (or songs/portions of music) which have not been cleared for copyright or that Fox lost the rights to over the decades.  In this case either Fox will resolve the issue or it will become (temporarily or permanently) insurmountable, be it too steep of a licensing cost, the copyright claimant is non-receptive, or other reasons.

Centennial Summer was based on a 1943 novel by Albert Idell.  The most common legal complication for films based on other works stems from the case of Stuart v. Abend (http://en.wikipedia....tewart_v._Abend), where the issue is whether the owner of the film has the rights to distribute it where someone else owns the rights upon which it was based.  I would have thought that Fox would not have licensed this film to Twilight Time if there was this common of an issue with it, but perhaps not.  On the other hand, perhaps there's some odd isssue with the music or something.

If it's an problem with the author's family or related copyright holder, it's a pretty bad sign.  If they haven't budged in the past, there's little chance they'll budge now.  Fingers crossed that a) this isn't the case and b) a compromise can be reached.

#85 of 207 Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 11:08 AM

Revised Aug / Sept / Oct / Release Schedule:

FOLLOW THAT DREAM (1962) BLU-RAY - Aug 12th

THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA (1969) BLU-RAY - Aug 12th

MAN HUNT (1941) BLU-RAY - Aug 12th

RIFF RAFF (1991) / RAINING STONES (1993) BLU-RAY - Aug 12th

THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY (1978) BLU-RAY - Aug 12th

THE KILLER ELITE (1975) BLU-RAY w/ Noon Wine (1966) - Sept 9th

SALVADOR (1986) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th

THE DOGS OF WAR (1980) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th

CHE! (1969) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th

LA BAMBA (1987) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th

AUDREY ROSE (1977) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th

THE BELIEVERS (1987) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th

THE BLOB (1988) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th (Limited Edition of 5,000 units.)

THE VANISHING (1993) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th

UNDER FIRE (1983) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th

";s:7:"insider

#86 of 207 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 17 2014 - 11:24 AM

Well, The Vanishing isn't a vintage title, but it does have another Goldsmith score...and one with a rather interesting history:thumbs-up-smiley:

• BPullen likes this

#87 of 207 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 655 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'm in on:

THE KILLER ELITE (1975) BLU-RAY w/ Noon Wine (1966) - Sept 9th (Even though I have the French blu can't pass on this with Noon Wine)

SALVADOR (1986) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th

THE DOGS OF WAR (1980) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th

THE BELIEVERS (1987) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th

UNDER FIRE (1983) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th

#88 of 207 RJ992

RJ992

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 04:10 PM

Nice that TT is upping the run to 5000 units (instead of the usual 3000) for THE BLOB remake.  Considering how fast genre titles sell out (missing out on CHRISTINE still smarts), some of us might actually have a chance to get this one!

• FoxyMulder likes this

#89 of 207 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,899 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 19 2014 - 04:13 PM

(missing out on CHRISTINE still smarts), 

You and me both, i will most certainly be trying to get a fast order in for The Blob.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#90 of 207 Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 442 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:46 PM

Went and pulled the trigger today for The Train and Heaven Knows Mr. Allison.  I had planned to wait till first payday in July (July 4th) but the low quantity warning on The Train forced my hand a little early.  So something in the budget gets pushed back to July.

Noted the low quantity warning for Our Man Flint (which I replaced this month with The Train) but I'm holding off till I decide if I'll really like it and it does seem to be moving slowly.  However The Train will probably sell out within the week.

Will be ready on Day 1 of pre-order to pull the trigger on The Blob (1988) and Audrey Rose (1977).  And if they ever release these two (Skatetown USA and Thank God Its Friday), those two would be Day 1 buys.

#91 of 207 RJ992

RJ992

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 01:56 PM

Still no word on FIRST MEN IN THE MOON?  Or was that just a rumor?

#92 of 207 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,694 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 20 2014 - 02:05 PM

May be the same type of issue which kept the title from being released in the VHS era.  Such a shame as this film is absolutely delightful, and I was planning on buying 2 copies.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#93 of 207 David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 03:40 PM

Still no word on FIRST MEN IN THE MOON?  Or was that just a rumor?

Early 2015 is what I have heard and been told .. it really is happening :) 

#94 of 207 RJ992

RJ992

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 03:10 PM

Early 2015 is what I have heard and been told .. it really is happening :)

Good to hear.  They're going to have to go with a 5000-unit press run for this one!

#95 of 207 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,120 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for that updated list. Argh! None of the musicals have sold out. That certainly won't help them decide to do more of those.  :(

#96 of 207 Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 07:59 PM

POPULAR

Matt--never fear, we have several more musicals on the schedule -- including some of our very favorite -- we remain undaunted by the general lack of interest in the genre!

• Doug Bull, JohnMor, Rob_Ray and 7 others like this
";s:7:"insider

#97 of 207 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:14 PM

Matt--never fear, we have several more musicals on the schedule -- including some of our very favorite -- we remain undaunted by the general lack of interest in the genre!

That's most encouraging.

I'm most excited and can't wait for your future Musical announcements.

Doug.

#98 of 207 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,178 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:23 PM

A breath of fresh air.

#99 of 207 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,709 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2014 - 09:02 PM

I am ecstatic. Thanks.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#100 of 207 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 866 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:21 PM

And I would guess ... The Pajama Game?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users