Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 of 214 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,590 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 06 2014 - 01:01 PM

POPULAR

Can somebody explain to me the popularity of The Blob (1988)?  I watched it during it's theatrical run and it was okay.  I think they had the wrong brother playing the male lead.

There's no accounting for taste, Robert. The general population seems to love its cult horror titles. I see they anticipate a quick sellout at 3000 units so they bumped it up to 5000. I hope that everyone who wants a copy will be able to get one, because I certainly won't be wanting one.

#42 of 214 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,739 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 06 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ah, no must haves. Oh well, there's always Nov-Dec.

Same for me.  Thank God!  My wallet needs a break.

#43 of 214 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,431 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted June 06 2014 - 01:53 PM

.  It may surprise them how well a film like THE VIKINGS might do.

You'd think with the success of The Vikings series and Game of Thrones, this type of period broadsword-slashing piece would be a natural for release. I would've gone for that. Nothing else here excites me. I've seen most of them once, which is fine for me. Salvador and Under Fire strike a similar theme here. 

#44 of 214 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,316 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted June 06 2014 - 02:24 PM

UNDER FIRE!  Thanks, people! For anyone who is not familiar with this extraordinary film, I encourage you to research it. Amazing performances by Nick Nolte (at his best), Joanna Cassidy, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris. This is about three journalists in Nicaragua covering the downfall of the Somoza regime circa 1979. It's loaded with tension (political, as the reporters begin learning unpleasant truths and start to take sides, which puts them in grave danger) and emotional (the three main characters are in a love triangle) and has one of the best of Jerry Goldsmith's 1980's scores, which I assume will be isolated. Check it out!

A rave review for Under Fire (3 1/2 stars) from Roger Ebert.

Under Fire Review

Rich Gallagher

#45 of 214 ONLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 06 2014 - 03:45 PM

POPULAR

Just little update for soundtrack fans, listing the Composers represented by this batch:

[*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]The Killer Elite - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Jerry Fielding [/color](a Peckinpah staple post Wild Bunch, already in the collection with Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Salvador - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Georges Delerue [/color](a reprise, already in the collection with Rapture and Steel Magnolias)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]The Dogs of War [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Geoffrey Burgon [/color](new to the collection)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Che! - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Lalo Schifrin [/color](new to the collection...finally!) [/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]La Bamba - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Miles Goodwin [/color]&[color=rgb(255,0,0);] Carlos Santana [/color](new to the collection)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Audrey Rose - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Michael Small [/color](a reprise, already in the collection with The Driver)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]The Believers - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]J. Peter Robinson [/color](new to the collection)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]The Blob - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Michael Hoenig [/color](new to the collection)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Man Hunt - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Alfred Newman* [/color](one of TT's hall-of-fame composers with multiple ISTs in the collection)[/font]
    [*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Under Fire - [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Jerry Goldsmith [/color](TT's hero composer, with the most ISTs in the collection)[/font][/font]
    [/list]

Another tasty mix of composer talent and scores coming up! My ears thank you in advance TT.

together with David Buttolph (uncredited)

#46 of 214 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 04:41 PM

Nick Redman said on his FB page that it's going to be the longer cut of THE DOGS OF WAR. 

UNDER FIRE!  Thanks, people! For anyone who is not familiar with this extraordinary film, I encourage you to research it. Amazing performances by Nick Nolte (at his best), Joanna Cassidy, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris. This is about three journalists in Nicaragua covering the downfall of the Somoza regime circa 1979. It's loaded with tension (political, as the reporters begin learning unpleasant truths and start to take sides, which puts them in grave danger) and emotional (the three main characters are in a love triangle) and has one of the best of Jerry Goldsmith's 1980's scores, which I assume will be isolated. Check it out!

DOGS OF WAR! One of the best films about mercenaries I've ever seen. Christopher Walken in all of his quirky glory, and a funny supporting role for Colin (Watson in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes) Blakely. John Irvin directed, but it might as well have been John Milius -- the final third of this film is just as macho as it gets, but really well-staged. Hope TT has the 114-minute (rather than 102m) cut.

There are always at least three titles I purchase from every two-month announcement, and this will be no exception.

#47 of 214 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted June 06 2014 - 04:55 PM

No best picture nominees. :( but I'll pick up "La Bamba" because I like that movie.
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#48 of 214 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:13 PM

POPULAR

One of the most requested and hugely underrated 20th Century Fox Musical titles finally gets a release.

"CENTENNIAL SUMMER" is an absolute must have in this household.

Jerome Kern plus Alfred Newman = sublime music. (and it's isolated as well) :wub:

I'll be counting down the days.

centennial summer.jpg

Doug.

#49 of 214 OFFLINE   Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:54 PM

YAY--"Centennial Summer!!!!"

I realize they can only get an approximation of the Technicolor--but Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain will look terrific regardless!

#50 of 214 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:57 PM

What's so great about it, this is an honest question?

Shawnee Smith as a cheerleader?

shawnee.jpg

Here are some more reasons it's a GOOD movie:

-Good performances by the cast.

-I liked the characters. If you buy the characters, then you care if they live or die especially in a horror film. 

-Misunderstood rebel played by Kevin Dillon(he was better in Platoon though)

-Creepy, and atmospheric, sometimes even scary

-Nostalgia(I used to rent it  a lot from the local video store a long time ago)

-good ending

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#51 of 214 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:56 PM

YAY--"Centennial Summer!!!!"

I realize they can only get an approximation of the Technicolor--but Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain will look terrific regardless!

Mark, agreed, but TT wouldn't release it if it doesn't meet their high standards, so the approximation must be fairly good. Much better than releasing through the Fox Archives Collection. Ugh!

#52 of 214 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,270 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 03:52 AM

"I had no idea that the remake was that popular."Personally I've such a fond memories of this film. Golden days of 1980's horror etc. And the film is fun.But do I want to spend over 35$ (inc. shipping) to this film on BD, since I already have the DVD? That's another question.Btw. Is "The Believers" the Martin Sheen horror(ish) film? It's great actually. Wow, the ending...

#53 of 214 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 613 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 06:49 AM

The Blob and Manhunt are certainties ,maybe a couple of the others .. If I can rent or stream them first just to be sure :) 

#54 of 214 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 07 2014 - 09:46 AM

La Bamba is the only one for me out of this bunch.  I was hoping for more 1950s and 1960s stuff.  Like Ed said before, The Vikings would be great.  I keep hoping for The Young Lions.

#55 of 214 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,915 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 10:19 AM

Going for: Centennial Summer, Man Hunt, Under Fire,[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"] The Killer Elite, and [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]The Dogs of War.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Man Hunt  is actually a pretty surprising release on one hand, because it has the distinction of being the absolute last[/font] film released from Fox's Classic DVD division before it shut its doors and the blu-ray line re-emerged a year or two later.  On the other hand considering it was the last there was definitely an HD transfer used (circa 2009/2008) and the upcoming blu-ray will most likely be derived from the same HD video master.

People are mentioning The Vikings a lot, but is there any evidence that MGM has yet made an HD transfer of this film?  It's probably another in a very long list of films that just isn't blu-ray ready at the moment.

#56 of 214 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted June 07 2014 - 10:21 AM

On the other hand considering it was the last there was definitely an HD transfer used (circa 2009/2008) and the upcoming blu-ray will most likely be derived from the same HD video master.

TT have said that it is a brand new master only just finished.

#57 of 214 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,915 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 10:31 AM

TT have said that it is a brand new master only just finished.

Oh, nice!  The DVD actually looked quite good.  Seems like with the blu-ray, George Sanders will have never looked better.

#58 of 214 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,050 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 07 2014 - 10:56 AM

Under Fire is a great movie, same for Salvador and i really enjoyed The Blob back in the eighties so it'll be nice to re-visit it in HD.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#59 of 214 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,221 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 11:11 AM

Oh, nice!  The DVD actually looked quite good.  

I thought the DVD looked superb. I'm not sure it will be worth upgrading.

#60 of 214 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,759 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 04:08 PM

La Bamba, The Killer Elite, Dogs of War, Under Fire, and Salvador for me.  

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users