What's new

Using HDMI for Video and Optical for Audio on Yamaha AVR (1 Viewer)

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
I Is it possible to take the Video from an HDMI input (HDMI 1) and the optical audio in (AV1) and output it through the HDMI out on a Yamaha RX-V377? There doesn't seem to be any indication that is possible in the manual but wanted to ask before buying a converter.Uverse's STB will only output SS audio through the digital out. The HDMI will only carry a stereo signal. I have confirmed this with AT&T to be a limitation so I want to convert the optical to HDMI. Right now I have component and optical run for it but that necessitates me changing input on the receiver and the TV separately every time I change to or from the STB.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This "should be" simpler than this...

Granted, non-sumo AVR are not my expertise...(Unless the MSRP is north of $1000...I tend not to pay attention...)

The AVR should be able to take HDMI video along with a Toslink. There are numerous reasons for this...

DVI equipped DVD players(DVI never carried audio)
PS2...early PS3(they had the same limitation that was remedied over firmware...)
Ability to listen to "something else" while gaming...

Two things you can try...

Connect the Uverse via HDMI and toslink both(I hope Uverse doesn't kill the Toslink when HDMI is active...if it does, there no reason to go further)

Pick the Uverse HDMI input, then pick an audio input(the remote has an "audio" button) that has the Toslink assigned.

On most AVR, that will keep your video on the HDMI...but switch in the audio source(all of the AVR I've ever owned can do this).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
BadRabbit said:
I Is it possible to take the Video from an HDMI input (HDMI 1) and the optical audio in (AV1) and output it through the HDMI out on a Yamaha RX-V377?

...but that necessitates me changing input on the receiver and the TV separately every time I change to or from the STB.
Why should any audio be OUTPUT from the AVR to the TV? I'm confused as to how/why you have things connected in such a way as to need to change TV inputs to watch/listen to a set top box?

If you connect audio and video (even via separate connections) from the STB to your receiver, it SHOULD be a simple matter of configuring the AVR to associate the optical input with the HDMI input. You should not even be using your TV as anything other than a monitor (it should have a single HDMI cable connecting from the AVRs output to an input on the TV).

Did I misunderstand something in how you have your components set up?

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Jason Charlton said:
Why should any audio be OUTPUT from the AVR to the TV? I'm confused as to how/why you have things connected in such a way as to need to change TV inputs to watch/listen to a set top box?If you connect audio and video (even via separate connections) from the STB to your receiver, it SHOULD be a simple matter of configuring the AVR to associate the optical input with the HDMI input. You should not even be using your TV as anything other than a monitor (it should have a single HDMI cable connecting from the AVRs output to an input on the TV).Did I misunderstand something in how you have your components set up?
Yes. My fault that I didn't state that clearly. I just need the video to the TV but the problem was that if I changed the receiver to the digital audio channel (AV1) the screen went blank (as I assume the receiver was trying to output the video through component and the only link from the receiver to the TV is HDMI) and when I changed to the HDMI video I lost SS audio because only stereo was present in the HDMI signal. I found the option Schan mentioned to use an alternate audio for the HDMI input. It was in the manual but I must have missed the option when I went through it. Thanks for everybody's help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks