Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Your Favorite TV Themes/Songs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 of 57 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 06:25 AM

Neil,Thank you.  I checked our university library, and although we often have a number of out-of-print gems like the one you listed above, we don't own this one.  I think it's something I will need to pick up for our library.  (Funds aren't too much of a problem since we have a fairly substantial acquisitions budget.)

The best price I could find thus far is from about a half-dozen sellers on Amazon.  It's going for about $90.00.  I was fairly certain AbeBooks.com would also have it in stock, as they frequently have items that are relatively rare or out-of-print.  I have had much success with them over the years.  Their prices for this item are a bit higher (from about $111.00 to $120.00).

http://www.abebooks....-0961204427/plp

#42 of 57 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 08:12 AM

I disagree. I love the UNCLE theme, but season two is my favorite, although I don't mind seasons 3 & 4. First season doesn't do it for me as I find it kind of too slow and boring. Maybe because I started watching the show as kid in second season and never saw the first season shows until syndication.

First season 'slow and boring'?! With that driving, pulsating brass section?! You've gotta be confusing it with the second season where they replaced the brass with those lame woodwinds and made it more of a light jazz piece. Here's a compilation of the show's different theme arrangements:

#43 of 57 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 08:56 AM

Vic,Thank you!  I liked everything I heard.  Watching these openings makes me want to spring for this show now.  Seeing the title "The Vulcan Affair" followed by a guest star whom also appeared on TOS was a nice treat too.

#44 of 57 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,468 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 07:18 AM

Neil,Thank you.  I checked our university library, and although we often have a number of out-of-print gems like the one you listed above, we don't own this one.  I think it's something I will need to pick up for our library.  (Funds aren't too much of a problem since we have a fairly substantial acquisitions budget.) The best price I could find thus far is from about a half-dozen sellers on Amazon.  It's going for about $90.00.  I was fairly certain AbeBooks.com would also have it in stock, as they frequently have items that are relatively rare or out-of-print.  I have had much success with them over the years.  Their prices for this item are a bit higher (from about $111.00 to $120.00). http://www.abebooks....-0961204427/plp

Trying to remember how I got it. I know it was out of print for a long time. Think I may have actually tracked down the author and bought a copy from him. You may want to try that.

#45 of 57 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,442 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 18 2014 - 07:34 AM

Some of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned yet:Storefront Lawyers

Neil, I'm not familiar with the show and hadn't heard of it until you or someone else mentioned it recently. I do have the theme song in my collection though. I bought a CD of The Ventures and that was included as a bonus track. Not even knowing it was a TV theme I often mused how much it sounded like one. It reminds me somewhat of the theme to Hawaii Five-0.

CBS = Constantly Being Stalled

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#46 of 57 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,442 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:56 PM

Instead of simply listing my favorite TV theme, I uploaded it to YouTube:

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#47 of 57 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 02:45 PM

Wow, Neil's post reminded me of one of my favorite themes, Judd, for the Defense.  Just awesome.  BUT my all time favorite remains The Virginian.  Elegant and bold, can't hear enough of it.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#48 of 57 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,442 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 27 2014 - 06:06 PM

I would also add S5's opening theme of Emergency! as one of the best themes ever!

#49 of 57 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:29 PM

the catchiest one for me, as a kid, was the addams family.  at least the one that comes to mind.

i also like mr. ed quite a bit.

of course, these are when i was in grade school.

#50 of 57 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:06 AM

The last Virginian theme by Morricone is pretty atmospheric too, in a different way.

#51 of 57 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,436 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 08:41 AM

Posted Image

Here's my best narrowed-down list:

My #1 remains the Combat! S1 opening.  That "pre-intro" always places this in the top spot.  I'd rate the S2-5 openings after other themes though.

The rest aren't in any order, all too close to choose a #2,3,4, etc.

Westerns:

Wild Wild West S1 opening.

The Rifleman's almost immortal in my list.  Memories of coming home from school to watch this one.

SItcoms:

There are 2 that are far and away my favorites, with "Donna Reed S1" being a recent discovery.  It's too close to call between the iconic "Bewitched" S1 opener and Donna Reed S1.

I'm not a "phone ringer" fan but this opening changed that :).  By far my favorite season opener in this series.

SciFi:

No contest for #1. 

A close 2nd, is TOS Season 1 intro.  I'm not really a "Trekkie" by definition but S1's opening is in the immortal class, imo, in classic TV openings.  Everyone's heard "Space... the final frontier..."

M:I S1 opening, the best in the series for me.

Mannix, the "piano" theme.  My favorite by far of the detective shows.

Mike Hammer 50's: This one's short but I love that trumpet...played one long ago.

Animation:  I'm not a big collector of cartoons so I only have a couple but they're hig on my overall theme list.

Jonny Quest.  That pterodactyl sound, 60's kid cartoon timeless.

https://www.youtube....h?v=L0kg_tzQvf4

This one's on my timeless list....

[color=rgb(0,0,255);][font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"][font="'Times New Roman';font-size:10pt;"]♪[/color][font="Arial;font-size:10pt;"]♫[/font][font="'Times New Roman';font-size:10pt;"] [/font]Flintstones
Meet the Flintstones
They're the modern stone age family
From the town of Bedrock
They're a page right of history[/font][/font]

[color=rgb(0,0,255);][font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Let's ride with the family down the street
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(0,0,255);][font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]When you're with the Flintstones
you'll have a yabba dabba doo time
a dabba doo time[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(0,0,255);][font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]You'll have a gay old time [font="'Times New Roman';font-size:10pt;"]♪[/color][font="Arial;font-size:10pt;"]♫[/font][/font][/font]

https://www.youtube....h?v=gdX6fwfrULI

The Graphics on the opening of Combat! remind me of playing Video Games on my old Atari 2600 in the late '70s - Early '80s :biggrin:

Here are a few opening themes from some of my favorite shows

Thunderbirds

Moby Dick & Mighty Mightor

UFO (Gerry Anderson)

Probe/Search

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

The Bold Ones (Second Season)

The Theme from The Moneychangers

NBC Sunday Mystery Movie

Journey to the Unknown

I have DVDs of all of these shows (Yes, I had to get some of them from a "Trading Site"). :(

PS. The Amusement Park rides that you see operating in the opening of 'Journey are located at  :rock: :drum: Blackpool Pleasure Beach :dance: :rock: , about 250 miles north northwest of London, England. (This my ALL-TIME FAVORITE Amusement Park). It's the only Amusement Park that's home to FIVE Wooden Roller Coasters. As for the park's atmosphere - It's kind of like Disneyland, Cedar Point and Las Vegas rolled into one! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Edited by Regulus, June 28 2014 - 08:46 AM.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes: 40,524    :biggrin:   ( 855 Series )  :biggrin:   Movies: 2,543 :biggrin:  Serials : 78 :B) (1201 Chapters) :B) Documentaries: 500 :B)

#52 of 57 OFFLINE   Susan Nunes_329977

Susan Nunes_329977

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 05:29 PM

Those shows with lyrics:

F Troop  (I don't know WHY they changed it the second season to eliminate the lyrics)

Pruitts of Southampton

Instrumentals:

Perry Mason

Cimarron Strip

#53 of 57 OFFLINE   swan4022

swan4022

Agent

• 27 posts
  • LocationDoylestown, PA

Posted July 15 2014 - 05:57 PM

I liked St. Elsewhere's theme a lot; Room 222 and Bob Newhart Show bring back fond, comforting feelings (especially like when these shows use the longer version), and Barnaby Jones. I guess there aren't many themes I don't enjoy!

#54 of 57 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,545 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 06:09 PM

The Avengers

Murder One

The 4400

#55 of 57 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 15 2014 - 06:20 PM

I put my favorites into this TV Themes Quiz. Maybe some of these are your favorites too.

books   

#56 of 57 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 07:08 PM

Got 'em all except the British show, "Fawlty Towers."  Never watched that one. 

Gary "even though I'm not a huge fan of 70's shows, I know just about all the theme songs from that decade" O.  :D

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#57 of 57 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 15 2014 - 07:40 PM

Since I made that movie many years back, I have several new favorites, including DR. KILDARE. May have to make a sequel :-)

books   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users