Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 of 166 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Screenwriter

• 1,003 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted July 16 2014 - 08:20 PM

I used to play the "MGM Jubilee Overture" that was included on the initial widescreen laserdisc of "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" for EVERYBODY.

#162 of 166 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,591 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 16 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it was also included in the 2-disc DVD of "Seven Brides...".

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#163 of 166 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:36 PM

I'm pretty sure it was also included in the 2-disc DVD of "Seven Brides...".

Yes, you are correct Byron.

sevenbrides.jpg

Now for the BLU-RAY including The Jubilee Overture if it ever hopefully eventuates.

Doug.

#164 of 166 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted July 17 2014 - 04:19 AM

There were also Wide Screen (ie. 1.77:1) versions shot of BRIGADOON and ROSE MARIE. I saw the latter in a cinema in the '70's. Would be nice to see them released for the sake of comparison with, say, a blu ray release of these titles.

I remember in the '70's, a cinema in Melbourne played THE ROBE for the 25th anniversary of CinemaScope. Fox mistakenly shipped out a print of the flat version (which turned up on the Blu Ray release, though in a  PIP (Picture in Picture) presentation which is not  easy to view and adequately  discern its merits/flaws.). I'm guessing they probably also did a 1.77:1 version of THE STUDENT PRINCE as it was shot in 1954. Anyone know when MGM ceased doing this? Was there a flat version of HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE made? I believe they finished that before THE ROBE.

The JUBILEE OVERTURE is also on my LD boxed set of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! movies, which was beautifully produced. Coming late to a movie in the '50's was not a good idea- unlike today!

#165 of 166 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted July 17 2014 - 05:11 AM

There were also Wide Screen (ie. 1.77:1) versions shot of BRIGADOON and ROSE MARIE. I saw the latter in a cinema in the '70's. Would be nice to see them released for the sake of comparison with, say, a blu ray release of these titles.

I remember in the '70's, a cinema in Melbourne played THE ROBE for the 25th anniversary of CinemaScope. Fox mistakenly shipped out a print of the flat version (which turned up on the Blu Ray release, though in a  PIP (Picture in Picture) presentation which is not  easy to view and adequately  discern its merits/flaws.). I'm guessing they probably also did a 1.77:1 version of THE STUDENT PRINCE as it was shot in 1954. Anyone know when MGM ceased doing this? Was there a flat version of HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE made? I believe they finished that before THE ROBE.

The JUBILEE OVERTURE is also on my LD boxed set of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! movies, which was beautifully produced. Coming late to a movie in the '50's was not a good idea- unlike today!

I believe Metro ceased the dual production sometime in 1954, but I'm sure Bob Furmanek could confirm this.

Would love to see an anamorphic Jubilee Overture. Maybe included with a bd of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers? Wishful thinking all the way around.

#166 of 166 OFFLINE   Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 09:20 AM

I believe Metro ceased the dual production sometime in 1954, but I'm sure Bob Furmanek could confirm this.

Would love to see an anamorphic Jubilee Overture. Maybe included with a bd of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers? Wishful thinking all the way around.

Why?...if they did it once, they can do it again...(yes, wishful thinking!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users