Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#121 of 166 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted June 23 2014 - 05:13 PM

IMG_0337.JPG

Until I was 8 years old, and already a Beatles fan, the pictured console radio/78 record player was our family's only music-playing option. Opening the front provided easy access to the back of the large speaker, which was important for direct-connection to our reel-to-reel tape recorder (which my parents used exclusively for recording at family events) and later to a cassette deck. My parents had a modest collection of 78's. mostly country music and rarely played, which were very easy for my brother and I to break over each others heads. Though we did finally get record players (mono only, until 1969) that would play LP's and 45's, this radio remained essential for home taping off the radio until we finally got a stereo system with stereo output jacks. Considerable nostalgic value aside, I do prefer my current set-up.

#122 of 166 OFFLINE   GlennF

GlennF

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted June 23 2014 - 05:34 PM

POPULAR

I remember when I finally made the switch from a "record player" to a stereo. (Which meant you could buy stereo records - even though they cost a dollar more). I would put the two speakers a few feet apart and sit between them marveling at the different sounds coming from each side. That is partly why I enjoy Blu-rays of these movies so much - I get to hear them in a way very few theatres were equipped to in the day. I spend as much time listening to the orchestrations as I do watching the pictures.

#123 of 166 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 05:41 PM

I remember when I finally made the switch from a "record player" to a stereo. (Which meant you could buy stereo records - even though they cost a dollar more). I would put the two speakers a few feet apart and sit between them marveling at the different sounds coming from each side. That is partly why I enjoy Blu-rays of these movies so much - I get to hear them in a way very few theatres were equipped to in the day. I spend as much time listening to the orchestrations as I do watching the pictures.

When I was six, I'd play records on my cousin's stereo record player (with one detachable speaker) while laying on the floor between the speakers, which I placed as far apart as possible (which was maybe ten feet). It was the beginning of my enduring fascination with directional audio, and the novelty has yet to wear off.

#124 of 166 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,576 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 23 2014 - 06:45 PM

When I was six, I'd play records on my cousin's stereo record player (with one detachable speaker) while laying on the floor between the speakers, which I placed as far apart as possible (which was maybe ten feet). It was the beginning of my enduring fascination with directional audio, and the novelty has yet to wear off.

Same story here.  My first stereo record player I got in 1969 as a Christmas present was the exact same model and color as seen in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, where Melinda Dillon's character has Johnny Mathis' "Chances Are" on the turntable.  The speakers were detachable and you could place them on opposite sides of the room, which I did to hear all the great Capitol R&H soundtrack albums and countless others.

#125 of 166 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 23 2014 - 08:42 PM

When I arrived in London in late 1968 the first thing we did was buy a cheap Ferguson stereo player with a detachable speaker. It was my first stereo player and we used it constantly .. even though our favourite records, including Bob Dylan bootlegs from the Kensington Hyper emporium, were in mono!

It did mean I could buy 'Abbey Road' on first day of release in its proper stereo .. and that was a real blast!

#126 of 166 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 23 2014 - 09:43 PM

David, I hope you didn't lift and re-lay that carpet into your Home Cinema.  :wacko:

Doug.

#127 of 166 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 10:24 PM

David, I hope you didn't lift and re-lay that carpet into your Home Cinema.  :wacko:

Doug.

It's actually linoleum, and acoustically inappropriate. I know it's terrifying enough for use in a David Lynch film.

#128 of 166 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:34 AM

POPULAR

I am going to make a confession here I have rarely revealed to anyone:

In 1961, I was in the second half of 7th grade and my parents relocated us to a new neighborhood requiring me to go to a new school.  In 8th grade, I was in homeroom with a guy I had met and made friends with during gym class in the seventh.  One morning before home room started, we were chatting about movies we saw on TV that weekend and, well...one thing led to another...and by the end of morning class, I owned 20th Century-Fox, Walt Disney, Warner Brothers, RKO, and Desilu.  He owned MGM, Columbia, United Artists, Paramount and a few others, as well.  From then on, we both researched the film product of all the studios and became extremely well-versed in output in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.  At that time, MGM and Fox were both struggling with the productions of, respectively, "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Cleopatra".  That left us to paying less attention to the 60s and the products of the past.

Oddly, weirdly and happily, we were both attuned to the music in the films and we were both very busy researching music credits, etc.  That led to obtaining soundtrack albums.  We were both very immersed in the careers and recordings of Alfred Newman and Miklos Rozsa. 

This association led to 35 years of very close friendship and sharing until my friend's untimely death in August 1992 from a heart attack.  I spent most of those years in the U.S. Navy while my friend, Jim Whaley, spent those years traveling the world and interviewing people in films for his syndicated PBS show "Cinema Showcase".  Our letters to one another, especially when I was assigned overseas, were voluminous.  Our telephone calls were, at that time, epic (and costly).  Neither of us minded.

When Rhino began its historic issuing of titles from the MGM vaults, featuring all the music underscore and songs from MGM musicals, I grieved for Jim not being here to enjoy it all.  When Film Score Monthly began its unprecedented issuing of 250 titles fromt he vaults of Fox, MGM and others, I could not listen to anything without hoping Jim was listening, too.  When FSM celebrated its 100th release with a 3-CD "Mutiny on the Bounty" by Bronislau Kaper, I started a thread at the FSM Messageboard seeking closure with my friend's parting and citing all the bounties that had been bestowed upon us up to that point which Jim would have relished enormously.

If I seem maudlin, I apologize.  I have moved on, with only an occasional wistfulness for Jim's having missed all the wonders we've seen the past 20 years.  I have found another friend who shares many of these same interests and we are in touch weekly, but I wanted to share some of these thoughts and past memories with those of you who have the same sort of love for old films, and all the elements therein, that I have.

#129 of 166 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,576 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:54 AM

Ron,

Those sound like beautiful memories of a friendship to be cherished.  Thanks for posting this.

#130 of 166 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:16 AM

I agree.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

#131 of 166 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,784 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 26 2014 - 09:35 AM

Just a terrific post.  :thumbsup:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#132 of 166 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,005 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 26 2014 - 12:42 PM

It is an amazing and heartrending story, and I'm so glad you shared it with us.

#133 of 166 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for sharing Ron.

If only there were more posts like yours.

Doug.

#134 of 166 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:31 PM

I can only concur absolutely. A wonderful tribute to an obviously very dear friend.

#135 of 166 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:59 AM

I thank you all for your kind words.

#136 of 166 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 11:19 AM

What a wonderful release. Thank goodness for Warner Archive, I have loved every minute of Hit the Deck, Jumbo and Kismet. With Jumbo, listening to all of the scoring alone, and there is alot of it, with the MGM orchestra is a treat in itself!

I am hoping Warner starts to release more in the Blu-ray Archive releases. They have such a huge wonderful catalog. I would love to have The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Silk Stockings, not to mention the other great widescreen/stereo movies in the catalog. Another title I continually hope for, not a musical, is Auntie Mame. Sad the stereo tracks were destroyed by big Jack (Warner) for this great film!

I am hoping that they consider Victor Victoria for release, either a full release or archive.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#137 of 166 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 11:50 AM

What a wonderful release. Thank goodness for Warner Archive, I have loved every minute of Hit the Deck, Jumbo and Kismet. With Jumbo, listening to all of the scoring alone, and there is alot of it, with the MGM orchestra is a treat in itself!

I am hoping Warner starts to release more in the Blu-ray Archive releases. They have such a huge wonderful catalog. I would love to have The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Silk Stockings, not to mention the other great widescreen/stereo movies in the catalog. Another title I continually hope for, not a musical, is Auntie Mame. Sad the stereo tracks were destroyed by big Jack (Warner) for this great film!

I am hoping that they consider Victor Victoria for release, either a full release or archive.

Don't forget Gypsy, which looks and sounds great, too.

#138 of 166 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 09 2014 - 11:53 AM

Until I popped the new WB Archive Blu-ray into a player, and was able to see the incredibly sumptuous colors and resolution via my LG 42" flat panel. 

What happened to your 120 inch projection setup. ?

I wonder if your opinion would be the same via projection.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#139 of 166 OFFLINE   Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 12:34 PM

...my first LP player was $17 which I purchased in a local Bronx store because of just seeing "The Band Wagon" at the Radio City Music Hall (I still have the LP). 

#140 of 166 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 06:00 PM

...my first LP player was $17 which I purchased in a local Bronx store because of just seeing "The Band Wagon" at the Radio City Music Hall (I still have the LP). 

Is this the one?

bandwagon.jpg

Doug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users