• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 of 166 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,255 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 12 2014 - 03:10 AM

Yes, just listen to her cast recordings (Destry Rides Again is a favorite) and soundtrack albums and you'll know it's the same magnificent, belting-to-the-rafters voice.

#42 of 166 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 05:09 AM

I think she was a great, under-utilized talent. She and Virginia O'Brien should have made many more movies. I love her.
  • ahollis and Anthony Dale like this

#43 of 166 OFFLINE   verneaux

verneaux

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 05:32 AM

Back in the 70's Ohio had the Kenley Players where John Kenley would present shows over the summer. I remember a production of Kismet with Dolores Gray reprising her role. Still sounded good altho her vibrato was getting a little wide. Hal Linden was starred and he was great.

#44 of 166 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 12 2014 - 07:04 PM

A friend of mine was working in theatre in London in the mid-'80's and met Dolores ('Dolly') Grey. She was performing in something and apparently "still had it". I recall hearing she was a fan of British-style Fish and Chips. I enjoy her performance in DESIGNING WOMAN with Gregory Peck, particularly in the restaurant scene. Her big number in IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER is a real highlight in that movie and was showcased in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III. She just about steals that movie too. Great comedienne.

#45 of 166 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 12 2014 - 07:07 PM

Dolores co-starred in the 1987 London production of Sondheim's "Follies", maybe that is when your friend met her.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#46 of 166 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 12 2014 - 07:10 PM

Here is a picture of Ms Gray in that production: 

DoloresGrayFollies.jpg

• Anthony Dale likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#47 of 166 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 12 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yes, I think that was it. Thanks.

• classicmovieguy likes this

#48 of 166 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yes, just listen to her cast recordings (Destry Rides Again is a favorite) and soundtrack albums and you'll know it's the same magnificent, belting-to-the-rafters voice.

She didn't always belt it to the rafters. Her excellent album Warm Brandy consists of quiet, intimate interpretations of romantic songs.  I wish she had made more recordings.

#49 of 166 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 12 2014 - 09:27 PM

"Warm Brandy" is a gem.  I also love "Two on the Aisle" and "Destry", though I wish "Sherry!" had been recorded with its original cast.  There was a *very* belated studio album done 10 years or so ago, with Carol Burnett in Gray's role (its a musical version of "The Man Who Came to Dinner"), but who could ever beat Gray?

#50 of 166 ONLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 12 2014 - 09:57 PM

Wonderful transfer (and yes, Noel, the color is great), and amazing sound.

• Anthony Dale likes this

#51 of 166 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted June 13 2014 - 07:47 AM

The sound is great. 

For once, we have something that sounds like 4-track magnetic in the 50's.  So many films are over-processed with a serious reduction of the width of the front sound stage.

• MatthewA and john a hunter like this

#52 of 166 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,255 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 13 2014 - 06:33 PM

My copy came today. I had originally planned to watch it tomorrow night, but as I had no reviewing activities tonight, I just couldn't wait to pop it in.

It's just as terrific as most everyone has said. The sound is full and lush, and the picture sparkles - one of the best of the Eastman Color Cinemascope transfers that I've seen. I actually liked the way it looked better than Hit the Deck.

But frankly, Warners has a perfect batting average with their Blu-ray releases through the Archives. They've all been splendid.

• ahollis and classicmovieguy like this

#53 of 166 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 919 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 13 2014 - 08:01 PM

this is slightly off-topic, but I thought I should share it.

A new production of 'The King and I' opened here in Melbourne last week. It was reviewed in this morning's 'Age' newspaper.

First paragraph reads:

'The King and I' is one of the classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals (the other is 'Kismet') that looks decidedly un-PC in what has, after all, been dubbed "The Asian Century".

Does this mean 'Kismet' should have been included in the new R & H box set?  And why not 'Kiss Me Kate' too!

#54 of 166 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 08:15 PM

I don't know about decidedly un-PC, but it sure ain't authentic by any stretch of the imagination!

#55 of 166 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 13 2014 - 08:16 PM

Ugh - somebody didn't do their homework.  I also get irritated when I see Rodgers misspelled as "Rogers".

#56 of 166 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 08:16 PM

And that reviewer must not have seen the commercial with John Williams sitting in the wing back chair saying, "Did you know Strangers in Paradise was actually Polevetsian Dance number 2 by Borodin?"

• Rob_Ray and classicmovieguy like this

#57 of 166 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 08:18 PM

• Richard Gallagher likes this

#58 of 166 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted June 13 2014 - 10:32 PM

And that reviewer must not have seen the commercial with John Williams sitting in the wing back chair saying, "Did you know Strangers in Paradise was actually Polevetsian Dance number 2 by Borodin?"

And has anyone ever said those words more beautifully? I could hear his voice as I read those words. Unforgettable.

#59 of 166 OFFLINE   Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted June 14 2014 - 12:26 AM

Attributing KISMET to R&H is a giveaway that, like many others, that paper is not employing a knowledgable theatre critic.

It's an increasing trend as, after all, everyone is entitled to an opinion so why not use somebody - anybody - who happens to be available?

Here in London there was  a theatre critic who was (mainly) knowledgable but lazy and he was once caught out reviewing a performance that had been cancelled. As he'd not been there he hadn't known.

It's not uncommon for production adverts to appear with Richard Rodgers' name mis-spelt.

• classicmovieguy likes this
Malcolm Blackmoor

#60 of 166 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 14 2014 - 12:35 AM

It's not uncommon but I find it rather lazy and ignorant.  It doesn't take a lot of effort to get the right facts and spelling; after all, these people are "professionals".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users