-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#21 of 166 Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:21 PM

...WB said they were working on "The Band Wagon" some years ago...what were they doing with it?!

#22 of 166 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 07 2014 - 02:40 AM

...WB said they were working on "The Band Wagon" some years ago...what were they doing with it?!

That was on the telly in HD in the UK a couple of years ago looking very nice.

#23 of 166 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 08 2014 - 03:05 PM

Love to see it on Blu ray!

I have Monte Carlo with Jack Buchanan too, but this is my favourite of his. I've never been able to sight any of his British movies such as Brewster's Millions; and I guess there's not enough demand for those for even a DVD release!

I guess 2 am screenings on Gem or the ABC would be the only way to sight those ....

#24 of 166 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 08 2014 - 03:18 PM

You are in luck, Anthony.  Network in the UK are releasing 2 Jack Buchanan titles in their 'British Film' range - "The Gang's All Here" (11th October) and "The Middle Watch" (3rd November).  Network has also just released "Josephine and Men", which features Buchanan in a supporting role.

gang-s-all-here-the.jpg  middle-watch-the.jpg  josephine-and-men.jpg

• AnthonyClarke likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#25 of 166 Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 03:24 PM

That was on the telly in HD in the UK a couple of years ago looking very nice.

...I wonder how things work that "The Band Wagon" is shown in HD but there is no further information re: it's transition to blu-ray?

(it's been a long time.)

#26 of 166 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 08 2014 - 04:08 PM

...I wonder how things work that "The Band Wagon" is shown in HD but there is no further information re: it's transition to blu-ray?
(it's been a long time.)

There's hundreds of films that are shown on the telly in HD that haven't had a Blu-ray release. Only this Saturday I saw a very nice looking HD transfer of a favourite 50's western, Bend Of The River. There's so many Universal & Columbia films shown in HD in the UK, & I'm sure in the US (& I don't have any Sky movie channels), & I'm sure all these United Artist films that K.L. are releasing have been shown several times in the last few years on the (late) MGM movie channel.

#27 of 166 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,489 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 08 2014 - 05:22 PM

You are in luck, Anthony.  Network in the UK are releasing 2 Jack Buchanan titles in their 'British Film' range - "The Gang's All Here" (11th October) and "The Middle Watch" (3rd November).  Network has also just released "Josephine and Men", which features Buchanan in a supporting role.

attachicon.gifgang-s-all-here-the.jpg attachicon.gif

Anybody looking for information on "The Gangs All Here" which is not the famous Carmen Miranda film but a british movie from 1939 which was released in the USA as "The Amazing Mr.Forrest". Alfred Hitchcock was to direct it but later changed his mind.

#28 of 166 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Byron and Doug for the info.

All this has reminded me of the great Lubitsch movie 'Monte Carlo' with Jack Buchanan and the redoubtable Jeanette MacDonald.

That scene of her in the railway carriage singing 'Beyond the Blue Horizon' as the workers toil happily in the French fields outside the carriage is a killer. So Soviet. So inspired. It might have to be the very first thing I watch when my new projector bulb finally arrives from the States!

• classicmovieguy and bujaki like this

#29 of 166 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 10:37 PM

And it appears everyone here have those fabulous Dream Factory DVD box sets!

• classicmovieguy likes this

#30 of 166 bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 05:31 PM

Here's something funny - my dad used to have the Kismet soundtrack on LP, as pictured below. I was always amused by the photograph on the front which happens to show a number of oil wells on top of the cliffs at top right!

kismet.jpg

• Mark B likes this

#31 of 166 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,816 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 10 2014 - 06:15 PM

I think that's the soundtrack album released in England. The American release featured a much more colorful cover.

• Virgoan likes this

#32 of 166 lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 407 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 10 2014 - 06:27 PM

I had that LP back in the '70's. It reveals that Howard Keel is indeed standing in front of a painted backdrop of a sky. Whoever chose the photo for the LP cover was not very observant. Interesting insight though on how they filmed that scene in the movie. With CinemaScope, the sets had to be bigger, inc the outdoor ones.

#33 of 166 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,595 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 10 2014 - 09:20 PM

I had and still do in storage the series of LP albums that were titled THOSE GLORIOUS MGM MUSICALS. My memory tells me the that the series was in two releases of six double LP records per release. One on those LPs included the soundtrack for KISMET. That was my first introduction to the film and the music. Enjoyed ever since and looking forward to the Blu.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#34 of 166 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 10 2014 - 09:34 PM

10455921_10152313125352779_8794358891506012537_n.jpg

10414878_10152309469582779_5298831725638856719_n.jpg

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#35 of 166 davyblu

davyblu

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 11:56 AM

Sounds great! Now if we can just get the 3D blu-ray of Kiss Me Kate!

• MatthewA and classicmovieguy like this

#36 of 166 noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 06:24 PM

Are we looking at the same disc? Delores Gray is poorly dubbed and obviously lip-syncing. The color is kind of faded too. Not a great movie. Keel is the only thing worth while here and Minelli's direction. Give me Kiss Me Kate any day over this. In 3D.

#37 of 166 Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 07:09 PM

My disc arrived today and I must echo RAH's comments. KISMET is a magnificent looking, and amazing sounding Blu-ray spectacle. It is a true winner!!

#38 of 166 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 11 2014 - 07:21 PM

Dolores Gray dubbed?  NEVER!  

#39 of 166 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,085 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 11 2014 - 09:49 PM

Are we looking at the same disc? Delores Gray is poorly dubbed and obviously lip-syncing. The color is kind of faded too. Not a great movie. Keel is the only thing worth while here and Minelli's direction. Give me Kiss Me Kate any day over this. In 3D.

You know, you really need to do your homework - Dolores Gray was NEVER dubbed in any film.  If you think she is "obviously" lip-synching it's because everyone in the film and any musical of that era ARE lip-synching to their pre-recorded track.  And I think anyone who has read any of your previous posts about color can just discount that immediately :)

#40 of 166 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 10:07 PM

I was lucky enough to see Dolores Gray do a cabaret act when I lived in San Francisco in the 1970s. She didn't sing any of the songs from Kismet but when a club patron asked for Not Since Ninevah, she let out with the opening bars and shook the rafters!

• classicmovieguy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users