What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

While Kismet has always been a part of the M-G-M pantheon of musicals, it was never high on my personal list.

I've seen it on film several times, and on older home video releases, and it never really stood out as anything special.

Until I popped the new WB Archive Blu-ray into a player, and was able to see the incredibly sumptuous colors and resolution via my LG 42" flat panel.  I was actually surprised by the quality and tones of the color, as early Eastman Color seldom looked this good on prints.  Someone dug deep into the film elements, and extracted everything that the emulsion contained.

Possibly time to re-evaluate.

Not a great deal of time, but here it is, in very few words.

Warner's has performed yeoman-like work on Kismet.  It's from a new IP, derived from the camera original, and the color is astounding.

Audio, which is DTS- HD MA, I presume to be proper.  I'm currently hearing it via high end audiophile speakers, implanted somewhere beneath the panel.  Love to hear it in 5.1, but cannot.

Based upon the Broadway play, and filmed three times previous to this 1955 CinemaScope version (1920, 1930 and 1944), and once after, in 1967 as an MOW.

Bottom line.  A magnificent disc from Warner Archive.

Did I mention directed by Vincente Minnelli from the Freed unit?

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (presumed)

Recommended.

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Wonderful review, I have never seen Kismet but will order it in the next few weeks. RAH - I have to ask why only a 42" tv? I've noticed that in a few other reviews. Do u prefer the image tighter or just haven't found a larger set you are happy with?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Delighted to read this and am anxiously awaiting my pre-ordered copy.

It's never been a favorite musical, but I've always found it well worth watching for the stupendous singing in all of the major roles.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Thanks Mr Harris. This sounds like the best presentation of this movie since its Radio City premiere.
I have seen it in 35mm (a somewhat faded copy) a few times and was impressed with the color in all the Home Video incarnations. It sounds like these transfers are now well and truly in the shade due to this Blu Ray release.
Fox could take some tips from Warners re the production of their classics on Blu Ray......

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
It's fascinating to see how films that had not been held in high regard or popularity over the years (Billy Rose's Jumbo, Hit the Deck and Kismet) are now being re-evaluated positively primarily due to the proper and painstaking remastering/restoring that has been done to them. Kudos to Ned Price and the team at WB Motion Picture Imaging if they're the ones responsible. Can't wait to receive my copy of Kismet now.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Maybe somebody can help me out here.....I recall not too long ago that there was a film festival of some kind (maybe a TCM one?) in which a few major directors inc Martin Scorsese and - I think- Francis Ford Coppola, chose their favorite Minnelli film. One of them- Coppola I think- chose KISMET. I found that unexpected and interesting. I believe he was impressed with the visual style of the movie.
Jay C Flippen had small roles in both OKLAHOMA! and KISMET in 1955. It's an odd coincidence that both have been released on Blu Ray so close together. (Howard Keel also played Curly on the West End- another (faint) connection between the two shows).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I do like it when they use an interpose for the transfer, no grain problems & a nice film-like image.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Sounds like we're getting a whole new movie compared to its earlier home video efforts. I'm astonished. I always heard that movie was gonna be problematic from a restoration standpoint. Miracles do happen on bluray.

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
Shocked, stunned and a little disappointhed that RAH is using an LG television and only a 42" model at that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FWAJMB said:
Shocked, stunned and a little disappointhed that RAH is using an LG television and only a 42" model at that.
Aside from Mr. Kane's 85" 4k Samsung, the 42" LG is my current go to. Can't wait to see the great things coming from Vizio in the future.RAH

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I'm not a Howard Keel fan, but I have always appreciated his performance in KISMET and Jack Cole's staging and, Dolores Gray's vocals, especially, "Not Since Ninevah" (also superbly choreographed), are all highlights. I always thought it looked great on laser (never had a DVD), but it looks remarkable in high def!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I was lucky enough to come across a few odd 35mm Scope reels of "Kismet" back in the 60s.
The color at that time was strong and absolutely georgeous.
I no longer have those reels but I'm sure that by now they would, sadly, be very pink.

The richness, spectacle and color of the "Night of my Nights" number was nothing short of amazing. (I used to run that sequence over and over)
So yes the original prints of "Kismet" actually did look stunning, very stunning indeed.

After reading Robert's review I will definitely be buying it, as it sounds as if it lives up to that original lavish appearance .

Doug.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got my pre-shipping notice that I should have it by next Thursday. With Hit the Deck, I got the exact same pre-shipping notice, but it arrived on Tuesday rather than Thursday. Here's hoping that happens again!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Is it only me, or is it a bit odd that Warner Archive seems stuck on issuing Blu-Rays of musical titles from the "Classic Musicals From The Dream Factory Vol. 3" DVD box?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
That being the most recent of the sets, perhaps those films have the best HD masters sitting on the shelf ready to go.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
That makes sense. Should I be hoping for a new "Classic Musicals From The Dream Factory Vol. 4" DVD box, featuring "The Band Wagon", both versions of "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers", "It's Always Fair Weather", "Silk Stockings", "Brigadoon", and "The Pirate"?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
davidmatychuk said:
That makes sense. Should I be hoping for a new "Classic Musicals From The Dream Factory Vol. 4" DVD box, featuring "The Band Wagon", both versions of "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers", "It's Always Fair Weather", "Silk Stockings", "Brigadoon", and "The Pirate"?
Hopefully yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks