Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Ghostbusters I & II 30th Anniversary Blu-rays

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 11:20 AM

Ghostbusters_BoxSet_3Dpackshot2.jpg

SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATES

“GHOSTBUSTERS” MILESTONE ANNIVERSARY

WITH THEATRICAL RE-RELEASE

AND ALL-NEW SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS

Theatrical Re-release Hits Theaters August 29;

Blu-ray Anniversary Editions of “Ghostbusters” and “Ghostbusters II” Available September 16

CULVER CITY, Calif. (June 5, 2014) – Sony Pictures Entertainment will celebrate the 30th anniversary of its blockbuster franchise Ghostbusters with a series of special events and home entertainment releases.  As a highlight of the celebration, the original 1984 film has been restored and remastered in 4K and will be returning to the big screen, in over 700 locations in the United States and Canada, for a limited engagement starting August 29 (Labor Day weekend).

Commenting on the announcement, Rory Bruer, president, Worldwide Distribution for Sony Pictures, said, “Ghostbusters is still one of our studio’s most beloved franchises – I was lucky enough to work on the release of the film on its first run, so it’s a real thrill for me to see that it’s still connecting with audiences everywhere.  On the big screen or in home entertainment, this is a great movie to experience again and again.”

Following the theatrical release of the film, on September 16, fans will be able to own the Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray and the Ghostbusters II 25th Anniversary Edition, as that film makes its Blu-ray debut.  The Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases of the films will also be available in a two-disc anniversary edition Blu-ray™ Digibook including both films, as well as a Limited Edition gift set that includes an exclusive collectible Slimer figurine and the two-disc Digibook.  This special gift set will only be available for a very limited time, with the collectible Slimer figurine being a true must-have for fans. Both films have been fully restored and remastered in 4K and will be presented in high definition on Blu-ray from those 4K sources.

Both the Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II Blu-rays come loaded with exclusive bonus materials, including revealing conversations with director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd, as well as never-before-seen deleted scenes from Ghostbusters IIand more. The Ghostbusters anniversary edition features the original music video of the Oscar® nominated song “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr., while Ghostbusters II includes the original music video for “On Our Own” by Bobby Brown. In addition, Ghostbusters will contain all previously released legacy content, commentary and an interactive Slimer Mode, offering fans a picture-in-picture graphical viewing experience.

“To celebrate this milestone anniversary, we wanted to create something new and collectible for fans.  These new GhostbustersBlu-rays will feature the highest quality presentation along with new content that reflects the rich history of this iconic franchise,” said Lexine Wong, Senior Executive Vice President, Worldwide Marketing, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Today also marks the premiere of the new website, GHOSTBUSTERS.COM, where fans can access new franchise offerings, including collectible merchandise, music, and more.  Fans can register for updates, unique video content, as well asGhostbusters news. 

There will also be a slew of new merchandise from Sony Pictures Consumer Products to be released. Collaborations include Lego, Mattel, Funko, Mad Engine and other select items to help celebrate the occasion. In addition, SPCP partnered with Gallery 1988 to create a once-in a lifetime experience, displaying original paintings, limited edition prints, and sculptures inspired by the film. 

Finally, Legacy Recordings / Sony Music Entertainment, will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the iconic Ghostbusterssoundtrack with multiple collectible vinyl LP releases this year.

Fans can follow the action on social media with the hashtag #GB30 or visiting the following sites:

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/Ghostbusters

Twitterhttps://twitter.com/Ghostbusters30

Instagramhttp://instagram.com/ghostbustersofficial

Pinteresthttp://www.pinterest.com/ghostbusters30/

Directed and produced by Ivan Reitman (Meatballs, Stripes), with the screenplay written by Dan Aykroyd (My Girl) and Harold Ramis (Knocked Up)GHOSTBUSTERS is listed as No. 28 on the AFI’s List of America’s Funniest Movies. Bill Murray (Stripes), Dan Aykroyd (Blues Brothers), and Sigourney Weaver (Aliens) star, along with Harold Ramis (Groundhog Day), and Rick Moranis (Honey I Shrunk the Kids). Ernie Hudson (TV’s “Oz”) and Annie Potts (TV’s “Designing Women”) also star in the films.

SYNOPSIS:

GHOSTBUSTERS: University parapsychologists Dr. Peter Venkman (Murray), Dr. Raymond Stanz (Aykroyd) and Dr. Egon Spengler (Ramis) lose a research grant when their experiment methodology is proven to be bogus. The team decides to go into business for themselves and open ‘Ghostbusters,’ a ghost removal service. After struggling to get on their feet, they are summoned to investigate the strange happenings in Dana Barrett’s (Weaver) Central Park West apartment. What they discover is that all Manhattan is being besieged by ghosts and other worldly demons through a portal in her building.

GHOSTBUSTERS II: Supernatural superstars Peter Venkman (Murray), Dr. Raymond Stanz (Aykroyd) and Dr. Egon Spengler (Ramis) spring back into action when the infant son of Dana Barrett (Weaver) becomes the target of a powerful demonic force. Reunited with their industrious secretary Janine (Potts) and the nerdy, near-sighted Louis (Moranis), the ‘heroes of the hereafter’ must put a stop to an enormous underground river ready to rot the roots of the entire Big Apple.

GHOSTBUSTERS Blu-ray Special Features:

• NEW! Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective - Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 1)

·         NEW! Poster Art Gallery – Gallery 1988 artwork

·         NEW! “Ghostbusters” Music Video – Ray Parker, Jr.

·          Legacy Content:

·             Slimer Mode – Picture in Picture and Trivia Track

·             Commentary w/ Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis & Joe Medjuck

·             10 Deleted Scenes

·             1984 Featurette

·            Cast and Crew Featurette

·             SFX Team Featurette

·             Multi-Angles

·             Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car

·             Ghostbusters Garage: Ecto-1 Gallery Storyboard Comparisons

GHOSTBUSTERS II Blu-ray Special Features:

·         NEW! Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond - Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 2)

• NEW! Deleted Scenes
  • NEW! “On Our Own” Music Video – Bobby Brown

GHOSTBUSTERS™ has a run time of approximately 105 minutes and is rated PG

GHOSTBUSTERS™ II has a run time of approximately 108 minutes and is rated PG.

Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

Academy Award® is the registered trademark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• cafink likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,057 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:00 PM

Great news! My son will love the statue. :)

#3 of 19 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,064 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:05 PM

I was never a big fan of Ghostbusters when it came out (and never saw II).  But I think it's time to revisit it.  Will definitely pick up the digibook.

#4 of 19 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:12 PM

This marks Ghostbusters II's debut on Blu-ray. I hope they announce a separate release of just that disc as there is no need to double dip on the first film. 

#5 of 19 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,057 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:15 PM

I was a huge fan of the first film. It pretty much changed my life (as a kid, that's). Sequel doesn't come even close, but it has its moments.

#6 of 19 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,971 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hope Sony includes the PIP shilouettes back to the Ghostbusters 1 commentary this time.

#7 of 19 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:22 PM

Wow, the Ray Parker, Jr. music video is included!  Wasn't there some kind of licensing issue preventing its inclusion in previous releases?

#8 of 19 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,057 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:33 PM

Maybe this was something to do with it?
http://m.tmz.com/#Ar...-royalties-sony

Then again have they released "You Could Be Mine" music video from GnR in any DVD or Blu-ray? It was also missing from the GnR video compilation (DVD).

#9 of 19 Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 02:55 PM

Very excited and a must buy. However I am slightly dissapointed with the first film as I was hoping a new release would contain the rest of the deleted scenes. There were many that were left off of the first dvd/blu including one that was on the Laserdisc. I wonder if there is any hope for them to try and include the rest. I was hoping to see the Ray at the Fort scene in its entirety.

#10 of 19 Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 03:17 PM

GB II finally, a must buy for me, especially with the deleted scenes. Let 's hope all the stuff is on the disc.
Still a disappointment that the remaining unreleased deleted scenes from the first movie are not included.
Maybe we need yet another release to see fort detmerring.

#11 of 19 ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 03:42 PM

Will buy (the digibook). Ghostbusters is the quietest blu-ray I own, and I hope this release will correct that.

Also liked GB2 - Dan's character running an occult bookstore gives it enough giggle-value for me. :P

I only wish there was a commemorative homage to Harold Ramis in there.  :(

#12 of 19 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,150 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 04:08 PM

I remember seeing Ghostbusters II in theaters with my dad on Father's Day... I never upgraded my DVD to Blu for Ghostbusters 1, so this looks like a great opportunity to finally get them both. 

I hadn't seen either of these movies for many, many years, and was surprised at just how funny they really were.  (I think I tended to take them a bit more seriously as a kid and missed how absolutely hilarious some of the situations are.)  The things that made me laugh now were often very different lines than the ones that got my laughter as a kid.  It was really a lot of fun to see again, and a great example of how you see things differently at different points in your life.

• cafink likes this

#13 of 19 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:21 AM

Cheech Marin's "Titanic" joke was worth the price of admission.

#14 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 10:34 AM

105570_front.jpg 844_front.jpg

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 10:37 AM

Yuh know....

Like most of you, I already own the first Ghostbusters release.

However, for the $5 difference, it just might be worth buying the double

pack just to get the second film (instead of buying the second as a single)

Ronald J Epstein

#16 of 19 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,150 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 10:48 AM

I never upgraded my DVD set because only one of the movies was available on Blu.  I'm glad I waited!

• Suzanne.S likes this

#17 of 19 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,014 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 08 2014 - 11:58 AM

I own the first Ghostbusters release, the one where they contrast boosted everything so the fog in the final part of the film was just a mushy white and detail was missing, i would re-buy as a double pack just to get it without contrast boosting, see pics below.

First pic is the old release, this contrast boosting also made film grain stand out in some scenes, second pic is new 2013 release.

g_1boost.png

g_bunboost1.png

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#18 of 19 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 01:06 PM

I was hoping one of the new extras would be the theatrical trailer for Ghostbusters.  Is there any way to get them to add it for the forthcoming Blu-ray?

The timing is appropriate.  I just mistakenly got rid of my old VHS recording.  What's posted above is the only issue that have popped up?  I remember reading there were divisive discussion on both the DVD and Blu-ray transfers; what constitutes as faithful.

#19 of 19 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 20 2014 - 11:24 AM

As Malcom said, there is a reason to replace your original release of 1, the transfer is majorly improved.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users