What's new

Yamaha receiver\speakers intermittently cut out on BR player only (1 Viewer)

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
I just put in an RX-V377 Yamaha receiver and a 5.1 Yamaha speaker package (4 small frontsurrounds, center and active sub). Ran YPAO and made minimal other adjustments.

Everything works fine when I'm watching cable or my Roku but anything played on the Sony Blu-Ray player cuts out over and over again (each break in sound is so short my wife didn't even notice until I pointed it out). The BR player is connected via HDMI to the first port in the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver out to the TV. I have tried running the Roku on the same portHDMI and it doesn't have an issue.

A few extra details:

[*]The speakers are 6 ohms and I've changed the setting in the receiver to 6 min.
[*]Crossover set to 80 mhz. I've moved this value around to no avail.
[*]All speakers except sub set to "Small"
[*]The cuts occur regardless of volume and do not seem to get better or worse when it is loudersofter
[*]The cuts don't seem to be influenced by the content of the audio (i.e. big loud scene vs soft dialogue).
[*]The cuts are persistent and happen every few seconds seemingly at random.
[/list]

Any ideas? I've tried every setting I can find but the fact that only the BR player is acting this way has me stumped.

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
schan1269 said:
The BD player...Is it decoding?Or sending bistream?And yes...you need to know the difference.

Not home right now to check but I believe the receiver said PCM which means the player is decoding, right?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BadRabbit said:
I just put in an RX-V377 Yamaha receiver and a 5.1 Yamaha speaker package (4 small frontsurrounds, center and active sub). Ran YPAO and made minimal other adjustments.

Everything works fine when I'm watching cable or my Roku but anything played on the Sony Blu-Ray player cuts out over and over again (each break in sound is so short my wife didn't even notice until I pointed it out). The BR player is connected via HDMI to the first port in the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver out to the TV. I have tried running the Roku on the same portHDMI and it doesn't have an issue.

A few extra details:

[*]The speakers are 6 ohms and I've changed the setting in the receiver to 6 min.
[*]Crossover set to 80 mhz. I've moved this value around to no avail.
[*]All speakers except sub set to "Small"
[*]The cuts occur regardless of volume and do not seem to get better or worse when it is loudersofter
[*]The cuts don't seem to be influenced by the content of the audio (i.e. big loud scene vs soft dialogue).
[*]The cuts are persistent and happen every few seconds seemingly at random.
[/list]

Any ideas? I've tried every setting I can find but the fact that only the BR player is acting this way has me stumped.
Change back to 8 Ohm, no need to switch to 6 Ohm, if your speakers are very small you might find that an 80hz crossover is too low and need to increase to 120hz ( or higher ) otherwise there is a gap in sound output, depends on the speakers of course.

If HDMI ARC is enabled you could try disabling it and check HDMI settings in the receiver carefully.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct. Change the settings to Bitstream. That could solve the problem.Then you get trouble shooting(would help to know the model number as a 2010 BD set up is different from a 2013).That depends on connection options the BD player has(to rule out...the BD player as defective) .

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
FoxyMulder said:
Change back to 8 Ohm, no need to switch to 6 Ohm, if your speakers are small you might find 80hz crossover is too low and need to increase to 120hz.
Sorry, I meant to include that the problem started before I set impedance (which I originally thought was the issue) but it happens at 8 ohm and 6 ohm.I'll try the crossover again but wouldn't a crossover issue cause issues across all the sources? My media on my NAS that I play over ROKU has the same level audio codecs as the BR player.

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
schan1269 said:
Correct. Change the settings to Bitstream. That could solve the problem.Then you get trouble shooting(would help to know the model number as a 2010 BD set up is different from a 2013).That depends on connection options the BD player has(to rule out...the BD player as defective) .
OK. I'll try that tonight. If it doesn't work, I'll post additional info on the player (it is at least 3 years old).Thank you.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BadRabbit said:
Sorry, I meant to include that the problem started before I set impedance (which I originally thought was the issue) but it happens at 8 ohm and 6 ohm.I'll try the crossover again but wouldn't a crossover issue cause issues across all the sources? My media on my NAS that I play over ROKU has the same level audio codecs as the BR player.
The crossover won't be an issue for sound dropouts but if it's set too low it will affect overall sound quality.

Try switching HDMI ARC off, that's the audio return channel and if an option is there then try HDMI set to AMP only and not AMP + TV, you could also try running an optical or digital coaxial cable from the blu ray player to the AV Receiver just to see what happens, if it's only HDMI related then it's probably a setting somewhere needs switched off or on.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it's your blu ray player that is the issue here so check the settings on that.

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
schan1269 said:
OK My BD player is not as old as I thought, 2012. Manual linked below. https://docs.sony.com/release/BDPS590_BX59.pdfI set toAudio HDMI : AutoBD Audio Mix: OffDolby Digital DTS: BitstreamDTS Neo:6 OffAudio DRC: AutoDownmix: SurroundI still get the same issue. I have noticed now that every time it goes out the speaker indicators (i.e.boxes with RF, LF, etc...) on the receiver blink off (I'm sure it was doing this before I just didn't notice).Edit: Just tried again: When I run the BD on PCM the indicators don't blink on and off but the sound still cuts out. When the receiver is decoding is the only time the indicators blink. I checked ARC and it was not on. Turned the x-over up to no effect I guess it could be the BD player but it was working when it was just connected to the TV and the TV to a soundbar.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Try, just for fun, a different HDMI.Did you hot swap in the Yamaha? (Meaning...did you not unplug everything from the wall? As in, Yes...your TV and BD player were supposed to be unplugged from the wall to reset HDCP...That is in the manuals for the TV, BD player and Yamaha)

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
And of course you tried changing the BD's HDMI cable for another known good (1.3a or above) one....
And tried a few different BR discs....

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
I have used the Roku with plex sending DTS 5.1 audio on the same HDMI cord to check it with no problems so I think the HDMI is fine. I did not plug the Yamaha in until everything was hooked up. The TV and BD player were both plugged into a strip but the strip was turned off. I assumed that was the same as unplugging but perhaps that was a bad assumption?Oh and I've tried 2 BDs WOW and Hobbit: Desolation.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BadRabbit said:
I have used the Roku with plex sending DTS 5.1 audio on the same HDMI cord to check it with no problems so I think the HDMI is fine.
You should still try a different cable even though it worked with the Roku, different tolerances for different pieces of equipment, you could try a factory reset of the Yamaha to see if that cures the issue.

Do this on the front panel and not using the remote control.
Set the unit to Standby by pressing the Power button.
2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button.
3. SP IMP. 8 Ohm Min (Or 6 ohm) will come up on the Front Panel.
4. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.
5. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.
6. Press the Standby button to turn off the receiver.
7. The next time the receiver is powered on, the factory settings will take effect.

On an unrelated audio note i would say switch Audio DRC to off unless you listen late at night.

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
FoxyMulder said:
You should still try a different cable even though it worked with the Roku, different tolerances for different pieces of equipment, you could try a factory reset of the Yamaha to see if that cures the issue.

Do this on the front panel and not using the remote control.
Set the unit to Standby by pressing the Power button.
2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button.
3. SP IMP. 8 Ohm Min (Or 6 ohm) will come up on the Front Panel.
4. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.
5. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.
6. Press the Standby button to turn off the receiver.
7. The next time the receiver is powered on, the factory settings will take effect.

On an unrelated audio note i would say switch Audio DRC to off unless you listen late at night.

OK. I'm going to pick up a new HDMI on the way home just in case. I'm not sure how old the ones I have are. If not I'll try a factory reset and then reconnect all HDMI "cold".

BTW, I see people mention HDMI by standard version number (e.g. 1.3a) but that spec never seems to be located on consumer packaging (or even on Monoprice that I can see). Is there another phrase I should look for like "High Speed with Ethernet" or a throughput speed like 10.2 Gbps?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BadRabbit said:
OK. I'm going to pick up a new HDMI on the way home just in case. I'm not sure how old the ones I have are. If not I'll try a factory reset and then reconnect all HDMI "cold".

BTW, I see people mention HDMI by standard version number (e.g. 1.3a) but that spec never seems to be located on consumer packaging (or even on Monoprice that I can see). Is there another phrase I should look for like "High Speed with Ethernet" or a throughput speed like 10.2 Gbps?
You don't need to spend a fortune on HDMI cables, i use the ones linked to below, very cheap and i have compared it to a more expensive IXOS cable and can see no difference and that was on a 106 inch screen a few years ago, i even went up close to the screen and no difference whatsoever in quality, just look for a well made good build quality one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLATINUM-High-Speed-ETHERNET-NINTENDO-PANASONIC/dp/B002V3SVBE/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1402065923&sr=8-32&keywords=hdmi+cable

Just checked Amazon.com it seems in the USA that you are getting charged higher prices for the same cable above.

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
FoxyMulder said:
You don't need to spend a fortune on HDMI cables, i use the ones linked to below, very cheap and i have compared it to a more expensive IXOS cable and can see no difference and that was on a 106 inch screen a few years ago, i even went up close to the screen and no difference whatsoever in quality, just look for a well made good build quality one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLATINUM-High-Speed-ETHERNET-NINTENDO-PANASONIC/dp/B002V3SVBE/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1402065923&sr=8-32&keywords=hdmi+cable
I generally buy the premiums from Monoprice and they are very inexpensive and I agree the expensive ones don't seem to make a difference.

I was mainly asking about the standards (1.3a, 1.4, etc) in case there were multiple standards of HDMI available (similar to how Ethernet is available in Cat 5, 5e and 6). I didn't want to accidentally buy something that can't handle the load.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BadRabbit said:
I generally buy the premiums from Monoprice and they are very inexpensive but I agree the expensive ones don't seem to make a difference.

I was mainly asking about the standard (1.3a) in case there were multiple standards of HDMI available (similar to how Ethernet is available in Cat 5, 5e and 6). I didn't want to accidentally buy something that can't handle the load.
Something like this will do just fine.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2#specifications

If you already have that one you could try the one which claims to be a higher spec and doesn't need ferrite cores to eliminate interference, indeed the braiding looks the same as the cable i linked to which i bought, it's a $14 difference between both.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025508&p_id=10765&seq=1&format=2

Other differences, well the $17 one claims 18GPS data throughput so it's the latest cable spec, the cheap one claims 10.2GPS, so if you want the latest spec the Redmere one has it, there will be no difference in image quality between both cables.

Get the one in the second link above and you are future proofed for 4K at 60fps.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In a nutshell...

For cables themselves...there is no 1.3, 1.3b, 1.4 or 2.0.

Cable designation...

Standard Speed
High Speed
High Speed with Ethernet(which I don't think anything requires this one anyway)
"Automotive" HDMI (forget what it is called)

As long as it says "High Speed"...good to go.

The 1.3/1.4/2.0 are for the devices themselves. Everything 1.4 and newer just needs High Speed.

(Just waiting for the day Ultra High Speed shows up...and yes...that is feigning sarcasm)

BadRabbit

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
schan1269 said:
In a nutshell...For cables themselves...there is no 1.3, 1.3b, 1.4 or 2.0.Cable designation...Standard SpeedHigh SpeedHigh Speed with Ethernet(which I don't think anything requires this one anyway)"Automotive" HDMI (forget what it is called)As long as it says "High Speed"...good to go.The 1.3/1.4/2.0 are for the devices themselves. Everything 1.4 and newer just needs High Speed.(Just waiting for the day Ultra High Speed shows up...and yes...that is feigning sarcasm)
Yeah I was thinking those stated throughputs were far beyond necessary. Like buying a production car that does 200 mph and driving it in NYC.Edit: I guess the more apt analogy would be building Talladega Motor Speedway for horse and carriage racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks