What's new

Robert Urich: Gavilan (1 Viewer)

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
On YouTube I saw the intro of a Robert Urich series that I never heard before.

The series is called "Gavilan" and is from 1982.

Unfortunately NBC cancelled the show after 13 episodes. I read just 6 or 7 episodes were ever shown on US-TV.

Who knows the series?

Is the show good or disappointing?

I presume that it is out of the question that this short-lived show will ever be released on DVD.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I remember when it premiered but I have only seen a few bits and pieces. It was not as glitzy as Vega$ or intelligent as Spenser. At one point you could at least see the opening credits on Youtube, but I have no idea if they are still there.

NBC was trying to capitalize on Urich's likeability in their own Magnum PI-ripoff. Obviously, it didn't work. I would buy it if they ever put it out.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have them from VHS, unfortunately in LP and not SP but tapes were expensive back then. They made 13 and aired 10. Don't know if the other 3 ever aired anywhere else.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Neil Brock said:
I have them from VHS, unfortunately in LP and not SP but tapes were expensive back then. They made 13 and aired 10. Don't know if the other 3 ever aired anywhere else.
What do you mean in LP?

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Neil Brock said:
Does LP mean Long Play?
If yes, were you able to copy your episodes on DVD-R or do you still have your episodes on VHS?

I always thought that NBC only aired 6 or 7 episodes on US-TV.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
bronson said:
Does LP mean Long Play?If yes, were you able to copy your episodes on DVD-R or do you still have your episodes on VHS? I always thought that NBC only aired 6 or 7 episodes on US-TV.
LP = 4 hour speed. Never had a VHS recorder?All you have to do is go to epguides or IMDB to look up what aired. Before you ask what those are, they're websites that list shows by episode and airdates.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Neil Brock said:
LP = 4 hour speed. Never had a VHS recorder?All you have to do is go to epguides or IMDB to look up what aired. Before you ask what those are, they're websites that list shows by episode and airdates.

I had a VHS Recorder but that was Long time ago.

Did you copy your episodes on DVD or do you watch them on your VHS recorder????

Justin V

Auditioning
bronson said:
Is the show good or disappointing?
I remember watching a couple of episodes on late-night TV in the UK way back when. It didn't really stand up to comparisons with Magnum, which was its obvious inspiration, right down to the presence of Patrick Mcnee as a John Hillerman-a-like. Still, I'd pick it up out of curiosity.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Neil Brock said:
Neil, I wrote you a PN.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Meanwhile I have 6 episodes of "Gavilan" and the show is quite entertaining but in my opinion not as good as Robert Urich other series "Vega$".

I got my episodes from a guy who taped the show from TNT. They showed the episodes on Robert Urich birthday but I don´t know which year they aired on TNT.

I don´t think the series will ever be released on DVD because only 13 were produced and only 10 were ever shown on US-TV.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Urich does have a big name still and a company like Shout! has released other brief shows such as Street Hawk (13 episodes), so you never know even if it's MGM making it perhaps a bit uncertain. Maybe from WAC like Spenser: For Hire. Like other TV/Urich fans, I know I'd buy it too if it ever came out.

Black Sheep One

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Hi Neil, I'm a new member to the forum. I saw the thread on Gavilan starring Robert Urich (1982) and noticed that there haven't been any replies now for several long years, since at least 2015 or thereabouts. I've been trying to locate fans of Robert Urich or classic TV series collectors who might even remotely have all 13 Gavilan episodes on DVD transferred from VHS. There were 13 episodes filmed by MGM. Episodes 1-10 aired on NBC-TV originally and at least 7 of them that I know of aired on TNT in the early 90's either for Robert Urich's birthday that year or teamed up with the equally short-lived 1 season James Arness series McClain's Law (since released on DVD by Warner Archive).

Presently, I have a partial copy of the pilot episode Sarah And The Buzz (only the last 23 minutes unfortunately) and 6 of the 13 episodes on DVD from other collectors who transferred them from VHS tape recordings. They are: # 2 Pirates; # 3 By The Sword; # 6 A Drop In The Ocean, # 7 Designated Hero, # 8 Best Friend Money Can Buy, and # 10 The Midas Keys.

I currently don't have: # 4 A Matter Of Geography; # 5 The Hydra; # 9 The Guns Of Harry August (someone had been selling a film print of that episode somewhere on one of the selling sites but that's no help to me at all); and the 3 unaired episodes, # 11 The Diamond Goddess; # 12 The Proteus Affair; and # 13 Rios En La Mar. I seriously doubt that TNT ever aired the last three episodes, more than likely just 1-10 out of the 13 total. I've been attempting to locate someone who has any or all of those episodes and a full version of the pilot episode Sarah And The Buzz, but so far have been unsuccessful. Absolutely nowhere to be found whatsoever.

Question: do you possibly have or know of anyone on this forum who's a Gavilan TV series/Robert Urich fan who might have these 7 episodes on DVD? Please let me know either way if you receive this post, provided anyone is still reading this thread. I figured it's worth a shot to at least post to let somebody know that somebody in 2020 was still interested in this series. I was hoping Warner Archive would perhaps release it officially on DVD like they did McClain's Law, but to date that hasn't happened and definitely won't in future. Thanks for reading.

Respectfully, Black Sheep One, :)

Black Sheep One

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Just a follow-up to the previous post I made above...
The 6 episodes of Gavilan that I mentioned have been available in the collectors market
for countless years now. The show last aired on network TV in 1982, which is roughly
some 38 years ago, and to the best of my knowledge last aired in the early 90's which
is around 28 years ago. If anyone was going to do anything even remotely with this
particular series as far as an official DVD release goes, they would surely have done so
a very long time ago. So far everywhere I have checked only has the same 6 episodes.
At this point I seriously doubt the remaining 7 including a complete version of the pilot
episode Sarah And The Buzz are out there online to be found. NBC-TV only aired
episodes 1-10 before the series was cancelled, their last aired episode being
# 10 The Midas Keys. The last three "unaired" episodes have not been located
among those remaining 7 either. Realistically speaking, I'm not counting on them
ever turning up or the series getting officially released on DVD by the original owners
since there were only 13 episodes filmed to start with. I guess I'll have to settle for
what I've got and like it since no other alternative appears to be available. Just fyi.
Thanks for reading. Black Sheep One.

Black Sheep One

Auditioning
Real Name
James
To member Neil Brock....

Still looking for Gavilan.
Have only found 6 episodes and incomplete version of pilot episode (last 22 minutes).
They are probably the same episodes you have but I thought I would write anyway.
I don't know to send a PM to you at all so please send me one.

I am missing 6 episodes of Gavilan and also looking for a complete version of the pilot episode.
At this point I seriously doubt they even aired on TNT. They only ran it with McClain's Law
(James Arness, since released on DVD in retail) and for Robert Urich's birthday in the early 90's
that I know of. I've been checking in the collectors market and what few collectors actually did
have it, they have the exact same 6 episodes that I already do (see elsewhere in this thread for
specific details as to which episodes I have and what I'm missing). It's also highly doubtful
the show will ever be officially released on DVD by any studio who may still own the rights.

I am not well practiced participating in this forum and am very new to all of this so please have
patience with me. I greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thanks in advance.

Black Sheep One

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I wish Warner Archive would put the series out on DVD (incuding the three unaired episodes) since they once said they have access to the MGM Television library---or if Amazon now has access they would at least stream them all on Prime Video.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

I remember this show! Well. okay, I remember it being on and I remember the ads and the opening credits, but I didn't watch it. I would get into it now, it's my kinda show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.