What's new

Good Car Enthusiast Magazines (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My friends got me interested in cars (speed really :)) and ever since one of em gave me a ride in his supercharged CRX, I now think of my V6 1990 Maximia as slooow.
I'm interested in modding my car but I know it's not cheap. I want to learn the basics like where should I start? what kind of exhaust should I get? supercharger or turbo? Just the things a beginner should know before doing anything to their car.
I've heard Car & Driver is a good mag, any others? Maybe even a few websites?
Thanks

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
Since your car's an import, and you are looking to modify it, I'll recommend some of those types of Magazines.
Sport Compact Car The best of the bunch. The most informative, with the most reviews, and most project cars, including, I believe, a Project Maxima, with lots of how to stuff. I subscribe to this one.
Super Street Second best general magazine. Some install and how to stuff, a few project cars, lots of eye candy. Used to subscribe to this one.
Import Tuner Purely eye candy and fluff. I can hardly ever find anything useful in this magazine. Wouldn't subscribe ever to this one.
I didn't mention any car specific mags, since they are mostly, if only, Honda related, (HPI, Honda Tuning, etc...), and then there are amerian muscle magazines, which also don't apply.
Car & Driver and Road & Track are decent magazines for general and new automotive news, but neither offers information on modifications. For general information and new car information and reviews, I much prefer the superior writing and reviews in UK magazines like EVO and Car. Unfortunately, both magazines run about $8.00/issue in stores since they are imports. But excellent information.
Clinton,
Don't you drive a 7th Generation Celica too?
------------------
Chris
My HT and 2000 Celica Site
Site updated 07/09/01

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Why yes, Chris, I do. :)
I agree that SCC is a good mag, but it seems they tend to focus mainly on Supras. Maybe it's just that I've not been getting every issue, but the ones I've picked up lean more towards the Supra (and feature more of them) than any other car on the market. But, alas, I live in Arkansas and unless you want to put a 6' lift kit and diamond plate mud flaps on your Ford Bronco, it's hard to come across any type of good tuner mag with any frequency. Hence, I have never even heard of Super Street.
I just tend to like the style of Import Tuner more than the others. Be it fluff & eye candy, or whathaveyou, I get more out of it than the others. I really like the power pages section where they dyno test cars before and after engine & exhaust mods. They also showcase a lot of events, which I find good because it gives me ideas for possible body mods, etc...
I guess just different tastes for different folks, eh?
wink.gif

Does Sport Compact Car have a website? I have never been able to find one and have not been able to find a new issue for over a year now. (I actually thought they had gone belly-up.)
------------------
Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman
bandit.gif

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I'll reiterate some of what Chris has already mentioned, but tack on my opinion. :)
Super Street - I subscribed to this when it first came out years ago, when the whole import car scene was emerging. It got really dull, and I couldn't stand reading about installations on staff members' cars. It was the same old articles every month: How to install an exhaust on a ___. I didn't renew my subscription with them, but they have recently improved, with coverage of real cars with the performance to back the aggressive aesthetics. I like their articles on cars from Japan, as I am a JDM(Japanese Domestic Market) freak. Bottom line: the magazine is still basically all about the show scene and looks.
Import Tuner - exactly the same as Super Street, albeit with a more mature writing style, in addition to pure show cars that somehow manage to maintain perfect paintjobs while also being "daily driven." Yeah... I repainted my Accord last year, and it has dings and paint chips galore.
Sport Compact Car - in my opinion, the best of the bunch; they focus more on performance, while also throwing in some nice flashy cars once in awhile. Maybe its their enthusiasm toward the Subaru Impreza that gets me. Drool... I want one so bad... :)
Turbo - 90% performance, show cars once in awhile.
Road and Track - awesome magazine; appeals to the car junkie in all of us, with nice pictorials and tests of the high performance cars we'll never get to drive.
frown.gif

Car and Driver - similar to R&D, but not as focused on sports cars.
Motor Trend - only good for new car reviews, specs, etc. Kind of bland for my taste.
[Edited last by David Nguyen on September 04, 2001 at 01:44 AM]

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I really do not want to do anything "flashy" to my car's exterior, just add speed. Wouldn't it feel better that the guy driving his lowered, over-decaled Honda Civic with expensive rims and a 15' high spoiler got burned by your regular 'ol stock-looking car with a souped up engine hidden underneath the hood. :D Ahhh! I can imagine it now...
I'm off to subscribe to SCC, thanks guys.
On another note, there are A LOT of those Civic owners here that think that since they put a loud exhaust in their car with a chrome tip, it is now the fastest thing around. How about in your area? I'm not saying the Civic is a bad car at all, it's easily one of the best values you can buy. I was just wondering how many other places are littered with these types of cars (more flash than power. I've heard the term "riceboys" on IRC).
And how about your opinion on this- My friend said there are two types of car enthusiasts; one that loves to blab about autos but only gets his/her info from their friends and the other that can rip their car apart over a weekend and put it all back together. Do you think this statement is true? Sometimes you should be careful from whom you get your advice from.
wink.gif

"Oh, those are speed-holes. They make the car go faster."

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm... About the two types of car enthusiasts. I know a lot, but the knowledge came from watching my car being worked on by a mechanic I trust, and by reading up. I have never been mechanically inclined, which I curse the sky for, because I love cars, and wish that I could tinker and work on my car. I have done simple things, and there is just a certain pride you feel after putting in time and sweat. I'd like to add another opinion to your thread Scott(sorry!) There are those who are into cars simply because they love cars, like me. Then there are those who are just into it because it is a trend. They will throw gobs of money at a car, but don't achieve the same satisfaction that a true car nut will.
In Southern California, the car scene has gotten out of hand. With my Honda Accord, I only spent money on looks, because hey, its a family car. I wasn't willing to spend close to 10 grand to make it as fast as a stock M3, etc. So guys like me get harassed constantly because some little kid with a bumblebee exhaust wants to race on public roads and endanger others. This in turn creates a bad stereotype, and results in me being pulled over every time I drive with a full car; asking if I have weapons in the car, etc.
frown.gif
(Whew... Getting off my soapbox now.)

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there are many type of enthusiasts, and here in the bay area, we have lots of both. I personally don't hold anything against one or the other, though I don't indulge anyone with races on public roads, or endorse that behavior EVER. Yes, I've raced, but on tracks only.
I do almost all the work on my car myself, as to most of my friends and team members, but just because someone else does not, does not mean that they are not an enthusiast and share a common hobby/interest, so it's all good. Just do what you like to your own car.
------------------
Chris
My HT and 2000 Celica Site
Site updated 07/09/01

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
David- I was not implying you at all when I mentioned the 1st type of car enthusiast. I should have said "...one that loves to blab about autos and thinks they are THE authority when it comes to cars but only gets his/her info from their friends..." Sorry bout that.
It just pisses me off when I see my friend trying to explain something to a guy that doesn't know what he's talking about. And the worst part is that the ignorant guy is so adamant in what he believes in. It's like hearing a BB sales rep explaining why Sony WEGAs are the best TVs you can buy to an ISF technician.
(fyi- my "friend" I keep referring to works on cars and is a mechanic for military jet aircraft)
Maybe it's different on the east coast, but just about everyone that fixes up their exterior here wants to give the illusion that their car is fast. They all try to race you when they get the chance & seem to think louder = better. Many people here are just plain sick of it. Maybe we need more tracks in the area.
[Edited last by Scott L on September 04, 2001 at 08:56 PM]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yeah, I used to get punk kids wanting to race me all the time when I had my Link Removed
[Edited last by Clinton on September 05, 2001 at 02:40 AM]
[Edited last by Clinton on September 05, 2001 at 02:44 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks