What's new

Dr. Kildaire - Season 3 - Up for Pre-order! (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've been curious about this show for many years. How is the picture quality on these sets? And how does it hold up in terms of the drama?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The quality is very good, helped by being black and white. Before ordering season one a while back, I had never seen this series. But it's quite good in my opinion. The lack of showing blood and guts is very refreshing. It carries itself with good writing and solid performances, not with trying to outdo itself in upping the shock value before each commercial break. I believe you can see a sample from an episode on the WB Shop website, a clip with William Shatner no less. All the guest stars were a strong inducement for me to buy--and I was not disappointed.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
benbess said:
I've been curious about this show for many years. How is the picture quality on these sets? And how does it hold up in terms of the drama?
Ben, I'd highly recommend you picking up S1 at a minimum. It has the best Christmas episode of all time, imho. It's worth the price of the set for that one episode alone.

Gary "a very well done show, to say the least" O.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For the moment, yes. Usually these Warner MOD sets end up available through eBay or Amazon eventually, but if you buy early, you can get replicated discs as opposed to burned ones. Not sure if season one pressed sets are still available. I doubt it.

Season one should be available from other folks by now.

One plus for getting it now is that the price probably won't drop much.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Season 3 has "Tygar, Tygar" with Yvette Mimieux, which is one of the most memorable episodes of the whole series.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm just wondering will this be a Pressed DVD,or a DVD-r? I'm buying regardless, but prefer pressed discs.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I actually toyed with the idea of purchasing the Dr. Kildare series from the Warner Archive, but then they went and put season 1 up on Warner Archive Instant in HD. So now that I know they are mastering the series in HD, I can't bring myself to buy it on DVD. I know they will never put it out on Blu-ray, but perhaps sometime in the future they might put the HD files on iTunes? One can only hope.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's confirmed that the initial run of season 3 is pressed.

I enjoy my DVDs too much to wait. I'd rather have everything in HD of course but who knows how much time any of us have. I work hard and when I have an hour, I want my 1960s TV, darn it!

Plus it looks really nice on the DVD--much better than audiences ever saw it back in the day. I couldn't be happier, even paying a premium for these sets is okay, because the number of shows I have left to collect for my dream library is finite--and rapidly dwindling.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Mark-P said:
I actually toyed with the idea of purchasing the Dr. Kildare series from the Warner Archive, but then they went and put season 1 up on Warner Archive Instant in HD. So now that I know they are mastering the series in HD, I can't bring myself to buy it on DVD. I know they will never put it out on Blu-ray, but perhaps sometime in the future they might put the HD files on iTunes? One can only hope.
So it's available streaming in HD? How much is it?

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Carabimero, when you receive your set, will you please let us know if the second part of the two-parter "Four Feet in the Morning" is included? I'd assume WB will include it, and it would mark the first DVD release of The Eleventh Hour.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
ToddR2 said:
Carabimero, when you receive your set, will you please let us know if the second part of the two-parter "Four Feet in the Morning" is included? I'd assume WB will include it, and it would mark the first DVD release of The Eleventh Hour.
Yes I will. My set should ship tomorrow, hopefully. With any luck I will post about it next week.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Carabimero said:
It's confirmed that the initial run of season 3 is pressed.

I enjoy my DVDs too much to wait. I'd rather have everything in HD of course but who knows how much time any of us have. I work hard and when I have an hour, I want my 1960s TV, darn it!

Plus it looks really nice on the DVD--much better than audiences ever saw it back in the day. I couldn't be happier, even paying a premium for these sets is okay, because the number of shows I have left to collect for my dream library is finite--and rapidly dwindling.
So I'm guessing that the just announced Sugarfoot season 3 will also be pressed discs. Incidentally Carabiramero , I couldn't agree more with what you posted!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Its good to see a steady flow of black and white TV shows from WA this year with Cheyenne, Maverick, Dr. Kildare, Sugarfoot and Bronco. Hopefully many more on the way in the 2nd half of the year.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Randy Korstick said:
Its good to see a steady flow of black and white TV shows from WA this year with Cheyenne, Maverick, Dr. Kildare, Sugarfoot and Bronco. Hopefully many more on the way in the 2nd half of the year.
WBA is almost single handedly keeping the genre alive!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
And doing a good job with their releases, at least the ones I have bought (THE LIEUTENANT, HARRY-O, and DR. KILDARE, just to name three).

They shipped my DR. KILDARE season three set today.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm really glad that they are doing this as I love KILDARE, but why the hell can't they give "non-streamers" like many of us 77 SUNSET STRIP and SURFSIDE 6?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
ToddR2 said:
Four Feet in the Morning is the first episode on disc three of season three. If memory serves, The Eleventh Hour was the pilot and is the last episode in the season one set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks