-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Gone With The Wind 75th Anniversary UCE (Blu-ray)

Warner BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 of 87 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:07 AM

Josh, I hesitate to agree because of the backlash that would follow...

...but I would probably buy a 3D version of GWTW, although I would 

wonder why the effort would have been done in the first place.  Not the

kind of film that I think is 3D conversion material.

Regardless of the backlash, I would agree that a 3D version of GWTW would NOT be a reason to buy it. 3D, except in a few cases, is (has) gone the way of the dodo. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd much rather the studios use whatever resources they'd use on upconverting an old film to 3D, to restore/release other catalog titles.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#22 of 87 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:18 AM

This is very good news for me, since I don't have this on BD. For some reason I skipped the earlier box set.

#23 of 87 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:23 AM

I just showed the previous disc at my backyard theater this weekend and it looked spectacular. Again, the sound (dialogue) was very low. I wish it were a little bit louder. But we did watch it outdoors. I wish the cropped shots could be restored.....someday.

• Will Krupp likes this

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#24 of 87 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:30 AM

One thing that would have made me buy this would have been if they finally released the complete, unedited screen tests which have been excerpted in such documentaries as THE MAKING OF A LEGEND: GWTW and going back as far as the 1960's David Wolper documentary entitled HOLLYWOOD: THE SELZNICK YEARS.

I agree. That would be more of an incentive for people to buy it again.

• Escapay likes this

#25 of 87 OFFLINE   Yami

Yami

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:40 AM

The BFI screened a "new restoration" in November, so I'd be disappointed if this new release didn't feature it if that is indeed the case. Then again, Warner have previous form on that front with The Wizard of Oz.

#26 of 87 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:41 AM

I swore that the last GWTW box would be the last "big box of stuff" that I would ever buy and there's nothing here that would make me break that vow.  I love this movie like nobody's business but there's no earthly reason for me to upgrade this time around. 

• WilliamMcK and Matt Hough like this

#27 of 87 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,781 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:43 AM

I'll take's Will's wager and double it.

There's no earthly or UNEARTHLY reason for me to spend more money on this.  I have the earlier Blu-ray release.  It's a lovely box of stuff and a lovely Blu-ray.   Why would I want to buy it again?

I'm enjoying whoever called this the "P.T. Barnum Edition".

• Will Krupp likes this

#28 of 87 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:48 AM

The BFI screened a "new restoration" in November, so I'd be disappointed if this new release didn't feature it if that is indeed the case. Then again, Warner have previous form on that front with The Wizard of Oz.

I didn't see GWTW at the BFI last November, but I did attend the screening at the TCM Film Festival in April at the TCL Chinese along with my friend Mark (a member here at the HTF and a massive GWTW fan), and he said it looked to him as if it was the same restoration from the previous Blu-ray.

#29 of 87 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,743 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:53 AM

I see no reason to upgrade. I'm happy with the last release.
  • Will Krupp likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#30 of 87 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 11:42 AM

Damn, I actually have the 70th AV set! It's Casablanca that's missing from my collection...

#31 of 87 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,225 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 03 2014 - 11:53 AM

The BFI screened a "new restoration" in November, so I'd be disappointed if this new release didn't feature it if that is indeed the case. Then again, Warner have previous form on that front with The Wizard of Oz.

It would be nice if that restoration would be featured on the new BLU unless it is something that worked better theatrically as opposed to home video disc. I know some say certain digital restorations are great for disc but some wouldn't be up to the same standards for a theatrical presentation.

WB did the same thing with A Clockwork Orange there was a new restoration screened but the most recent Digibook didn't feature it just the old transfer. Which gives WB another reason for another BLU release for that title. If they would issue that restoration I would buy it for sure.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#32 of 87 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think they are holding their new restorations back for 4k...just a hunch. Clockwork, The Exorcist, Blazing Saddles are just some titles that have new masters that weren't used for their most recent releases.

#33 of 87 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 02:07 PM

Truth be told, the reputation of this film has diminished in recent years, so yet another "anniversary" release seems rather pointless.

However if they included the aforementioned complete individual screentests, and/or the rare, behind-the-scenes home movie footage discovered  (some of which can be seen on an old Today Show clip with Katie Couric on you-tube) then that would be something special, but I will pass on this as well.

#34 of 87 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 03 2014 - 02:58 PM

Truth be told, the reputation of this film has diminished in recent years, so yet another "anniversary" release seems rather pointless.

However if they included the aforementioned complete individual screentests, and/or the rare, behind-the-scenes home movie footage discovered  (some of which can be seen on an old Today Show clip with Katie Couric on you-tube) then that would be something special, but I will pass on this as well.

How do you quantify that?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#35 of 87 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 03:09 PM

Its reputation hasn't diminished. In a poll a couple of years ago, conducted by People Magazine and broadcast on ABC, it was voted America's favorite film. My backyard was packed with people this weekend...and they aren't film buffs. They just love the film. Every time I go to a revival house and it is shown, it is a sell-out. It has a huge fan base also, rivaled only by The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, and The Lord of the Rings. GWTW is not in danger of losing its massive classic status any time soon.

#36 of 87 OFFLINE   Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood

Posted June 03 2014 - 03:19 PM

How do you quantify that?

Exactly!?! This film still sells out in L.A., fills theatres and special events anywhere it's screened and the recent TCM screening at the Chinese was packed. It still sells tons of merchandising. So somebody's still giving it word of mouth.

It's never been a "Sight and Sound" film. Never a film scholar's darling. It incites more discussion and opinion, though, than "Citizen Kane" or "Casablanca" or more benignly lovable classics due to its political views and setting.

But its popularity with the people is still immense. The book that was released in November on Vivien Leigh is in second printing and the BFI tribute to her a smashing success. It's last theatrical release did better than "The Godfather"'s restoration and subsequent theatrical release. So I'm curious in what respect its rep has diminished. WB apparently hasn't started thinking so and stopped pushing new editions in our faces.

P.S. The digital transfer at the Chinese seems to be the same they have been showing since 2009. It is unlikely the BFI showed a different master. If anything needs to be done to the transfer at all, it might be to take out the jaundiced look to the skin tones.

• Will Krupp likes this

#37 of 87 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 812 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 03 2014 - 03:21 PM

GWTW is always in the top 10-20 when comes to film polls and is the 2nd greatest romance film of all time, next to Casablanca. I don't know where Richard got the idea that Gone has a tranished reputation.

#38 of 87 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 812 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 03 2014 - 03:33 PM

The book that was released in November on Vivien Leigh 

SHOCKING NEWS: 77 years later we find out that Scarlett herself wrote the classic novel, Margaret Mitchell must of been the pseudonym she use to write it. 

#39 of 87 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 430 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 03:56 PM

p.s. Too bad they are not including a restored Raintree County as an extra. Raintree County is being released on DVD in Australia June 5 at a PAL running time of 160mins. No mention of any Blu Ray etc.

#40 of 87 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 03 2014 - 04:04 PM

That "Raintree County" is most definitely un-authorized (there's no way Warners would ever farm a title like this out to another label - let alone a budget label like Compass).  Back to GWTW - there's no way I'll jump again, unless some really epic new unseen outtakes just happen to be magically rediscovered.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users