-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Gone With The Wind 75th Anniversary UCE (Blu-ray)

Warner BD/DVD Press Release

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 of 87 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,709 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 05:19 AM

post-291265-0-23272400-1401845784_thumb.jpg

“America’s most popular film. Enormous in every way.”

Los Angeles Times, Kenneth Turan

75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Arrives September 30

Limited & Numbered, With New Collectible Packaging, New Memorabilia and New Special Features

Nationwide Celebrations Scheduled

Burbank, Calif., June 3, 2014 – On September 30, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will honor one of the most celebrated motion pictures of all time with the Gone with the Wind 
75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition on Blu-ray™ and Digital HD with UltraViolet.

Gone with the Wind -- the quintessential Hollywood epic and still history’s all-time domestic box-office champion ($1.6 billion[1]), with more tickets sold than any other movie ever made – is a “must have” for classic film collectors. It will be fittingly presented in limited and numbered sets, with new collectible packaging, new enhanced content and new collectible memorabilia. The memorabilia includes a replica of Rhett Butler’s handkerchief and a music box paperweight playing Tara’s theme with an image on top of the Rhett-Scarlett kiss. Also included is a 36-page companion booklet featuring a look at the immortal style of Gone with the Wind, written by New York fashion designer and Project Runway finalist Austin Scarlett, whose signature look reflects the romantic elegance of the Gone with the Windera.

The new special features include footage of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh attending the original movie premiere in Atlanta and Old South/New South, a journey through today's South, revisiting the real-life locations depicted to see how the world of the Old South continues to inform life in the New South’s cosmopolitan world. Gone with the Wind 75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Editionwill be available for $49.99 SRP.

75th Anniversary Celebrations Nationwide

To commemorate the 75th anniversary of Gone with the Wind, the Harry Ransom Center at The University of Texas at Austin will launch the exhibition, “The Making of ‘Gone With The Wind.’” For the first time in more than 25 years, three original gowns worn by Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O’Hara, including the iconic green curtain dress, will be exhibited together along with replicas of the film’s other gowns. Additionally, more than 300 items from producer David O. Selznick’s archive will be displayed, including behind-the-scenes photographs, storyboards, correspondence, production records, audition footage and fan mail. Turner Classic Movies is one of the sponsors of the exhibition which runs from September 9 – January 4, 2015.

On September 22, WBHE will partner with The Actors Hall of Fame in a special 75th Anniversary Gone with the Wind fundraising gala to benefit dramatic arts education in schools. Hundreds of stars and industry leaders will arrive ‘in costume’ at the historic Culver Studios where many key scenes of the movie were filmed. The gala will be streamed live from the Mansion on digital and social media around the world. Planned highlights of this special evening include the dedication of the Olivia de Havilland Dramatic Arts Education Center and a recreation of the famous Virginia Reel dance scene from the movie, with student actors in period costumes and a silent auction including Gone With The Wind memorabilia. For additional information on the events, go to www.hrc.utexas.edu andwww.actorshalloffame.com respectively.

About the Movie

Gone with the Windlauded as one of the American cinema’s grandest, most ambitious and spectacular pieces of filmmaking, was helmed by Victor Fleming in 1939, the same year as the director’s The Wizard of Oz. It captured 10 Academy Awards®[2] including Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actress for Hattie McDaniel, the first Oscar awarded to an African-American actor. Margaret Mitchell’s Pulitzer-prize winning novel, on which the film is based, has been translated into 16 languages, has sold hundreds of millions of copies worldwide, and even now, continues to sell 50,000 copies a year.

Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, Leslie Howard and Hattie McDaniel star in this classic epic of the American South. On the eve of the Civil War, rich, beautiful and self-centered Scarlett O'Hara (Leigh) has everything she could want - except Ashley Wilkes (Leslie Howard). As the war devastates the South, Scarlett discovers the strength within herself to protect her family and rebuild her life. Through everything, she longs for Ashley, unaware that she is already married to the man she really loves (Gable) - and who truly loves her - until she finally drives him away. Only then does Scarlett realize what she has lost ... and tries to win him back.

Special Features:

·         Featuring footage including Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh attending the original movie premiere in Atlanta

• Old South/New South NEW! Take a journey of discovery through today's South, revisiting the real-life locations depicted in Gone With the Wind, from Gettysburg to Atlanta to New Orleans, to see how the world of the Old South - and the themes depicted in the film - continue to inform life in the cosmopolitan world of the New South.

Gone with the Wind 75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Street Date: September 30, 2014

Order Due Date: August 26, 2014

Pricing: $49.99 SRP

Cat/UPC: 1000446620/6000079798

Note: All enhanced content and premiums listed above are subject to change.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 87 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:04 AM

I'm a sucker and re-buy this film with each new release...I can't help it, it's my favourite!

Looking forward to seeing what this new set will look like.

• Escapay likes this

#3 of 87 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:38 AM

I'm a sucker and re-buy this film with each new release...I can't help it, it's my favourite!

They should have referred to this as The Andrew Budgell Edition.  I think they're releasing it just for you.

p.s. Too bad they are not including a restored Raintree County as an extra.

• Andrew Budgell likes this

#4 of 87 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,709 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:41 AM

So, basically, if I am reading this right (and I am doing it rather quickly), this is

not a new transfer.  

This is the same thing that happened with the recent Wizard of Oz release.  It

was basically the same transfer with new content.

...not that I am complaining.  Both OZ and WIND look fantastic.  Just want to be

sure that we, as consumers, are aware of whether this is a new master or not.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 87 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,540 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, I won't be rebuying this one.

• Everett Stallings likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 87 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:53 AM

They should have referred to this as The Andrew Budgell Edition.  I think they're releasing it just for you.

p.s. Too bad they are not including a restored Raintree County as an extra.

Now THAT would be amazing!  :)

#7 of 87 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,747 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 03 2014 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, I won't be rebuying this one.

Somebody at the studio must have read my sarcasm months ago...

Maybe I need to add the word at the bottom left of posts...

I wonder if the 80th anniversary will be released on flash drive...
  • Rod J likes this

#8 of 87 Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 07:22 AM

I'm more than happy with the 70th Anniversary box set, which I think was just called the "70th Anniversary Collector's Edition", according to the wrap-around packaging card that came with the set.

#9 of 87 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 07:36 AM

POPULAR

No sale.jpg

• Rod J, SAhmed, atfree and 1 other like this

#10 of 87 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,842 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 03 2014 - 07:51 AM

While I don't feel the need to rebuy Gone With The Wind, I know your pain from many other titles. :)

#11 of 87 WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted June 03 2014 - 08:03 AM

A new transfer would sucker me in... Perhaps even new bonus material that would be of particular interest to me (the new bonus material listed here is not of interest)... but no... I didn't even buy the box-o'-goodies version for the 70th...

#12 of 87 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 08:14 AM

POPULAR

I'd call this the "What, again??? Edition." Or maybe the "Special P.T. Barnum Edition."

• MatthewA, Mark B and Rod J like this

#13 of 87 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted June 03 2014 - 08:22 AM

Indeed! Studios will re-release this every 5 years (or more often) along with "The Wizard of Oz" and a few others, while other catalog films (like "The Alamo") either languish un-released or decaying to the point of no return or both. I know it's a matter of $, as this re-release of yet another "special" edition will probably earn more than a first release of other catalog titles. In a perfect world, they'd release one of these with the proceeds going to restore/release another catalog title (a fantasy world, to be sure).

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#14 of 87 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 08:24 AM

In a perfect world, they'd release one of these with the proceeds going to restore/release another catalog title (a fantasy world, to be sure).

I agree. It would be nice if some of the proceeds would help fund the restoration of another Civil War epic, Raintree County.

#15 of 87 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,540 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 03 2014 - 08:31 AM

Somebody at the studio must have read my sarcasm months ago...

Maybe I need to add the word at the bottom left of posts...

I wonder if the 80th anniversary will be released on flash drive...

Well, it didn't take Nostradamus to predict another release would be coming out in the near future.  It's Warner's MO.

• Rod J likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 87 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,178 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 03 2014 - 08:46 AM

Not much listed in the way of exciting new extras or trinkets...which is fine with me.  I'm hard put to imagine anything I don't already have that I'd consider worth spending another dime on.

#17 of 87 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 09:27 AM

GWTW and Wizard of Oz are apparently going to be video cicadas -- every five years a new edition emerges!

#18 of 87 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,498 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 09:32 AM

At least the last "Wizard of Oz" disc included the new 3D version.  If there was a 3D version included here, I'd buy it again.  (And yes, I'm being serious.)

• Moe Dickstein and Suzanne.S like this

#19 of 87 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,709 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 09:33 AM

At least the last "Wizard of Oz" disc included the new 3D version.  If there was a 3D version included here, I'd buy it again.

Josh, I hesitate to agree because of the backlash that would follow...

...but I would probably buy a 3D version of GWTW, although I would 

wonder why the effort would have been done in the first place.  Not the

kind of film that I think is 3D conversion material.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 87 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,439 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 03 2014 - 10:00 AM

POPULAR

I'm as big a fan of this film as you're likely to find, but I must say that I have no reason to rebuy it.  I wasn't expecting it to be remastered as the last bluray was superb, but I did think they would entice me with better extras than this.  One thing that would have made me buy this would have been if they finally released the complete, unedited screen tests which have been excerpted in such documentaries as THE MAKING OF A LEGEND: GWTW and going back as far as the 1960's David Wolper documentary entitled HOLLYWOOD: THE SELZNICK YEARS.  But handkerchiefs and more music boxes?  Where's the Rhett Butler shotglass to go with my Bugs Bunny?

• Andrew Budgell, Richard M S, Danny Burk and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users