Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Finally got new PC

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,920 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 02 2014 - 07:41 AM

We'd had our old desktop for 5 years, so it was time to upgrade.  I found a one year old used PC on Craigslist that I negotiated down to $600, not bad for a Dell XPS8500 with a 3rd gen i7, 240GB SSD, 2TB HD, 32GB of RAM, BDRW and high end graphics card.  I feel like I'm part of the 21st century again!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:16 AM

Sounds nice. Did you get install media? Personally, I would never use a used computer without wiping it clean and reinstalling the OS first.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,339 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 02 2014 - 05:11 PM

I'm not current on Windows PC prices, but that seems like a good deal! I've searched CL several times for used Macs, but never liked what I saw. You couldn't find recent vintage computers with much of a discount. I guess that's a good thing for sellers :) but no fun when I'm on the other side.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,103 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:33 AM

Sounds nice. Did you get install media? Personally, I would never use a used computer without wiping it clean and reinstalling the OS first.

-Keith

Not even that.  Remove the hard disks and install your own. 

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted June 12 2014 - 01:10 PM

We'd had our old desktop for 5 years, so it was time to upgrade.  I found a one year old used PC on Craigslist that I negotiated down to $600, not bad for a Dell XPS8500 with a 3rd gen i7, 240GB SSD, 2TB HD, 32GB of RAM, BDRW and high end graphics card.  I feel like I'm part of the 21st century again!

I know what you feel like Adam. Bought a very nice HP dv6 laptop last year, totally loaded, but I was going to school at the time and got it for only $750. I had an old Toshiba laptop with XP but just not worth repairing after the keyboard and other things started to fail.

Still have my old desktop, 14 years old with XP, a huge 21 inch monitor about the size of a kitchen stove. It works, but definitely now in the antique era.

Sad to admit, but I finally bought my first HDTV two weeks ago. Had a 36" Toshiba from 1998, but almost everything was letterboxed so I was fine. Wrong.... It finally croaked (no green, so all the colors were terrible).

New TV, had Dish come out and got a new HD receiver and they changed the satellite receiver on my roof. OMG, the difference is so amazing.

I'm now a real HTF member and have joined the 21st century :P 

Stan

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted June 14 2014 - 08:24 AM

Not even that.  Remove the hard disks and install your own.

That would be a waste if money, just do a DoD wipe and everything will be ok.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,339 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 14 2014 - 10:33 AM

Just be sure to have your backup system going. Modern hard drives seem fragile enough. With a used computer, you don't know if had any additional abuse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users