Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Video Game Soundtracks

Gaming

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Northgun

Northgun

Stunt Coordinator

• 232 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 02 2014 - 06:18 AM

What is your favorite video game soundtrack overall? Is there a specific song in a game your really enjoy? Whats your favorite older generation game soundtrack (Playstation 1 age)?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:14 PM

Star Fox for the Super Nintendo has the best soundtrack in gaming as far as I'm concerned. Sim City and Top Gear on the Super Nintendo are another two that I still love the music in. 

A favorite one-off that immediately leaps to mind is the music for level 1 in The Lion King for the Super Nintendo. Actually, that level is really the only one in the entire game I even like. Nearly 20 years have passed, but I still pop that in from time to time and play through the first level. 

Rest of the game didn't appeal to me nearly as much. Horrendous slowdown, confusing non-linear levels in spots which I hate in a 2D platformer, poor platforming mechanics, high difficulty often at a time when the game is barely crawling due to slowdown, etc

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,767 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 05:14 PM

What is your favorite video game soundtrack overall? Is there a specific song in a game your really enjoy? Whats your favorite older generation game soundtrack (Playstation 1 age)?

I think Bear McCreary's Dark Void is excellent, though I like just about everything he does. I also like all the music from the Medal of Honor games (La-La Land Records released a pretty spectacular box set).

I have never played any of the games though :)
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,244 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 02 2014 - 05:23 PM

Starcraft is most drilled into my brain, from too many hours of playing it :)

I really like the Portal musical queues, available on the Orange Box album. I also recall thinking the original Half Life had some great bits, but they're not available that I've found.

Beyond Good and Evil has some great songs.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,710 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 09:24 PM

The only video game soundtrack that was memorable to me was the one for NFS: Most Wanted. I don't have the soundtrack, but if I was going to buy a soundtrack CD for a video game then that would be the one.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,589 posts

Posted June 04 2014 - 11:10 AM

Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas.  While those aren't new songs for the game but actual songs from the '50s and '60s, I really like listening to them.  Borderlands has a pretty good soundtrack also.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 04 2014 - 01:36 PM

I didn't realize that the two modern Fallout games had licensed music from the 50's and 60's, neat.

I bought Mafia II largely on the merits of music from greats like Bing Crosby and Doris Day. Not many opportunities in gaming to see such music appear officially in a videogame. Usually licensed music is the latest pop junk and the first thing I'll do is go into the options screen and mute it (And if a custom soundtrack is possible with mp3's, I'll replace it with something like the Righteous Brothers and Petula Clark). 

Kind of sad that videogame music, for many genres, has largely disappeared. Most in the racing genre, for instance, just go with licensed junk like the Need for Speed line instead of creating proper videogame music for it.

Gone are things like Top Gear's amazing soundtrack on the Super Nintendo or Sega's Outrun music, both of which I keep the music from  on my 360 and PS3 and regularly use it in modern racing games. 

#8 of 8 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,038 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 04 2014 - 04:56 PM

Skyrim
Diablo series
Everquest

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users