Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fox- Please give DOCTOR DOLITTLE and STAR! to Twilight Time!

Twilight Time Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 07:31 PM

I received an e-mail from James Finn that they had no plans at this time to release these films in the next year or two. TT told me that would love to have them and asked  but were turned down. Fox, if you are not going to release these films any time soon, how about giving them to Twilight Time?

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 09:06 PM

I received an e-mail from James Finn that they had no plans at this time to release these films in the next year or two. TT told me that would love to have them and asked  but were turned down. Fox, if you are not going to release these films any time soon, how about giving them to Twilight Time?

As you know with regard to the masters Twilight Time only takes what the studios give them.
What Fox has for both Star! and Dr. Dolittle doesn't really cut it and if they redo both movies they will want to release them, too.

If you are really in desperate need to watch it again I would suggest to import the German Blu-ray of Dr. Dolittle. It is a rather bad looking disc though so I suggest to pass on it and wait for Fox to redo it properly.
  • FoxyMulder likes this

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 09:34 PM

As you know with regard to the masters Twilight Time only takes what the studios give them.
What Fox has for both Star! and Dr. Dolittle doesn't really cut it and if they redo both movies they will want to release them, too.

If you are really in desperate need to watch it again I would suggest to import the German Blu-ray of Dr. Dolittle. It is a rather bad looking disc though so I suggest to pass on it and wait for Fox to redo it properly.

Well, the  German Bluray of Doctor Dolittle looks quite good to me:

http://www.dvdbeaver...tle_blu-ray.htm

I mean if I was someone that would like to have the film, I'd prefer it over nothing.

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 01 2014 - 09:58 PM

Well, the  German Bluray of Doctor Dolittle looks quite good to me:

http://www.dvdbeaver...tle_blu-ray.htm

I mean if I was someone that would like to have the film, I'd prefer it over nothing.

Well, I feel I must comment on this, because the German Blu-ray is perhaps the single worst transfer of a large format film in history, topping even Greatest Story Ever Told.  The color is faded and ugly brown, and the film just looks terrible, IMO.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,848 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 01 2014 - 09:59 PM

"Dolittle" is also available from Australia through I suspect its the same transfer that the German edition used.  Good disc but could use some additional work - colours do sadly lean to the tawny side.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,539 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 01 2014 - 10:18 PM

Well, I feel I must comment on this, because the German Blu-ray is perhaps the single worst transfer of a large format film in history, topping even Greatest Story Ever Told.  The color is faded and ugly brown, and the film just looks terrible, IMO.

I agree it's a truly awful looking disc.

Picture quality wise, the German and Australian discs are identical.

Sadly, the dvdbeaver scans do not show all of the inherent problems associated with this poor quality presentation.

Unless you are really desperate I suggest you wait until something better comes along.

Doug.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 01 2014 - 11:52 PM

I agree it's a truly awful looking disc.

Picture quality wise, the German and Australian discs are identical.

Sadly, the dvdbeaver scans do not show all of the inherent problems associated with this poor quality presentation.

Unless you are really desperate I suggest you wait until something better comes along.

Doug.

I couldn't even finish watching it - it was horrifying in every way.  The only chance a movie like Doctor Dolittle has is to look and sound amazing.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 12:59 AM

You probably have missed the German Blu-ray of El Cid that I think due to its orangish skintones and complete absence of detail is even more disappointing but I agree that Dr. Dolittle is up there with the worst. And of course the Blu-ray that is out for One Eyed Jacks is in a completely different league - it is so hideous that it does not even count as a Blu-ray :D

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:02 AM

I couldn't even finish watching it - it was horrifying in every way.  The only chance a movie like Doctor Dolittle has is to look and sound amazing.

For me the same goes for The Greatest Story Ever Told - the both look so dull and nasty that they may as well not have been released at all as far as I am concerned.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,861 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:34 AM

Well, I feel I must comment on this, because the German Blu-ray is perhaps the single worst transfer of a large format film in history, topping even Greatest Story Ever Told. The color is faded and ugly brown, and the film just looks terrible, IMO.

That seems to be the same transfer of Dolittle that Sky TV in the UK have been showing in HD which certainly looks faded. It's 2.35:1 and the titles have no Todd-AO credit so it obviously doesn't come from a 70mm source. Surely not worse than TGSET though!

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:43 AM

Last I heard (way back in 2012), Doctor Dolittle was given precisely that leg-up via new high-rez scan off the original Todd-AO 65mm negative. In fact, at one point FotoKem's site carried the following self-promotion:

"65mm classics handled by FotoKem include: Dr.Dolittle, West Side Story, It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, South Pacific, Khartoum, Can-Can, The Sound of Music, Baraka, Oklahoma!, The Bible, Cleopatra and Star!"

And lookee there...Star! too.

It seems as if Fox has been redoing their large format titles for quite awhile. So if they're backing off from that product line now, it might only be temporary.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,475 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 02 2014 - 04:04 AM

I can still get an enjoyable fix for Doctor Dolittle from the DVD. For Star!, I have to go back to the laserdisc for comfort. The DVD was such a brown, ugly mess.

Naturally, I would like to see both of these Todd-AO shot musicals on Blu-ray, but as Bruce said, they need to look and sound spectacular to give them a fighting chance to reel in new viewers.

• John Maher_289910 likes this

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 04:26 AM

Yes, if Fox is to ever do STAR!, lets hope they employ someone who doesn't think the film is beige, like whoever did the DVD!  I can live out what's left of my life without DR. DOOLITTLE, although I'd most-likely buy it if they did a decent transfer.

• Will Krupp likes this

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 08:30 AM

The UK DVD of Doctor Dolittle is 2.20:1 and USA DVD is 2.35:1.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,999 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'd really like to see Dr. Doolittle done right, while Fox is at it, perhaps they can license the cartoon series to someone (http://en.wikipedia....ttle_(TV_series)).

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 02 2014 - 12:51 PM

Yes, if Fox is to ever do STAR!, lets hope they employ someone who doesn't think the film is beige, like whoever did the DVD!  I can live out what's left of my life without DR. DOOLITTLE, although I'd most-likely buy it if they did a decent transfer.

But if they don't do it beige then the "blue" police will show up and tell everyone how the film never had any blue in it :)  But it did, Blanche, it did.

• Stephen_J_H and John Maher_289910 like this

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:17 PM

I reallly would like Dr. Doolittle blu-ray but after the way Fox botched up The King And I the prospects don't look good. We might get an orange and teal version of Dr. Doolittle or a grainless plasticized looking version. I've lost faith in them.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:05 PM

It is funny, I just recently bought a sealed Laserdisc of Star! special edition several weeks ago. I haven't watched it yet... And toyed with the idea of buying the DVD copy to have also... I didn't realize the DVD transfer was bad :-( I bought the LD S.E. Because I always liked the artwork that was used for the cover. And I got it for a mere 15.00 sealed :-)

The first time I ever heard of Star! Was probably 16-18 yrs ago flipping the channels at about 3am and coming across it on eithe AMC (commerical free days) or TCM and thinking what is this! It seemed insane. (In a good way)

I will watch the Lasedisc soon since it doesn't sound like we would be getting a BLU in the near future :-( Id hope for FOX to issue an outstanding restoration for the film even thru TT.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 07:07 PM

POPULAR

STAR! played at Philadelphia's Cinerama theater, The Boyd.  I saw it, many times, in beautiful 70mm Todd-AO.

Star!.jpg

• Will Krupp, Matt Hough and classicmovieguy like this

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 08:22 PM

The last print that I saw of Star! was a newly struck 70mm print and it leaned towards a more brownish/yellowish color palette and it was also rather dark.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users