What's new

Mario Kart 8 (2 Viewers)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Is an unbelievable title. I realize a lot of people look at the WiiU and say 'eh', but Mario Kart 8 is 1080P, 60FPS goodness that looks beautiful. Game play is a blast. It's the first title that my wife has sit down and played for a bit slice of a day and it's one of those games that local multiplayer is just fantastic.Out of all the games I've played on all 3 new platforms (WiiU, PS4, XB1) Mario Kart 8 and SMG3D are easily both in the top five. Just great gameplay. We forget sometimes why we play games. Having spent a morning with Watch Dogs (PS4) and then taking time to play MK8 with the kids, I realize how much better of a game Mk8 is .. it's just more 'fun', and that's why I tend to buy games.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It doesn't matter since it's beautiful none the less and an excellent game overall, but Mario Kart 8 actually isn't 1080p. It's confirmed to be running in 720p.

Shows how little that particular statistic really matters though. Going to be hard pressed to find anything on any console that looks prettier than this one does.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How is handicapping for novice vs experienced games? My wife and I have enjoyed the Lego games in coop. But since finishing up the interesting games in that series, we haven't played any video games in a while. I've been noodling whether a Wii U should be my next console, to get back to some spousal video gaming.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mario Kart on the lowest difficulty/speed (50cc) is pretty easy. Takes some getting used to but its still simple enough.

The game is a blast and does look gorgeous.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My wife and kids ate this up today. Infinite replay value because play through changes every time. Beautiful look. My wife and oldest were laughing their heads off as they used special powers against each other. A+

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is MK8 any good as a single player?I've played a couple races on the in-store demo units, when I've had a chance. In single player, it seems just ok. Despite the wild, 3D looping tracks, I feel firmly grounded on a flat track the entire race. It doesn't seem to convey any feeling of its soaring, twisting track. I don't get the thrill of an imaginative ride I got from Beetle Adventure Racing back on the N64, nor the exhilarating speed I got from the Burn Out series.I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm playing standing in Target waiting for an Rx to be filled :) That colors my experience. And maybe it must be played multi to reveal itself.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a decent game, mainly due to the fact that, for once, the carts are actually controllable and a person can stay on the track for the most part. I find the cars almost uncontrollable in most of these driving and racing games. In MK8, you can at least gain first place some of the time against the NPC cars in the single player game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you like racing games, specifically MK games, then you may enjoy the single player mode. There's a bunch of developer ghosts to beat in the time trial mode, you can get online ghosts from others, and there is a competitive online mode. But the game really shines as a multiplayer experience.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
MK8 is great as a single player, fantastic in local multiplayer, and online multiplayer is equally fun. Between this, Windwaker HD and upcoming titles like the new Super Smash Bros., anyone remotely interested in the WiiU should give it serious consideration. ZombiU is fun, and makes great use of the GamePad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks