• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 01 2014 - 02:02 PM

Is an unbelievable title. I realize a lot of people look at the WiiU and say 'eh', but Mario Kart 8 is 1080P, 60FPS goodness that looks beautiful. Game play is a blast. It's the first title that my wife has sit down and played for a bit slice of a day and it's one of those games that local multiplayer is just fantastic. Out of all the games I've played on all 3 new platforms (WiiU, PS4, XB1) Mario Kart 8 and SMG3D are easily both in the top five. Just great gameplay. We forget sometimes why we play games. Having spent a morning with Watch Dogs (PS4) and then taking time to play MK8 with the kids, I realize how much better of a game Mk8 is .. it's just more 'fun', and that's why I tend to buy games.
  • Bryan^H and LeoA like this

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 11 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 01 2014 - 02:20 PM

It doesn't matter since it's beautiful none the less and an excellent game overall, but Mario Kart 8 actually isn't 1080p. It's confirmed to be running in 720p. 

Shows how little that particular statistic really matters though. Going to be hard pressed to find anything on any console that looks prettier than this one does. 

• Stephen_J_H and mattCR like this

#3 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,578 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 01 2014 - 05:05 PM

How is handicapping for novice vs experienced games? My wife and I have enjoyed the Lego games in coop. But since finishing up the interesting games in that series, we haven't played any video games in a while. I've been noodling whether a Wii U should be my next console, to get back to some spousal video gaming.

#4 of 11 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,134 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:11 PM

Mario Kart on the lowest difficulty/speed (50cc) is pretty easy.  Takes some getting used to but its still simple enough.

The game is a blast and does look gorgeous.

#5 of 11 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 02 2014 - 07:05 PM

My wife and kids ate this up today. Infinite replay value because play through changes every time. Beautiful look. My wife and oldest were laughing their heads off as they used special powers against each other. A+

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,578 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 18 2014 - 07:14 PM

Is MK8 any good as a single player?

I've played a couple races on the in-store demo units, when I've had a chance. In single player, it seems just ok. Despite the wild, 3D looping tracks, I feel firmly grounded on a flat track the entire race. It doesn't seem to convey any feeling of its soaring, twisting track. I don't get the thrill of an imaginative ride I got from Beetle Adventure Racing back on the N64, nor the exhilarating speed I got from the Burn Out series.

I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm playing standing in Target waiting for an Rx to be filled :) That colors my experience. And maybe it must be played multi to reveal itself.

#7 of 11 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 10:08 AM

I thought it was a decent game, mainly due to the fact that, for once, the carts are actually controllable and a person can stay on the track for the most part. I find the cars almost uncontrollable in most of these driving and racing games. In MK8, you can at least gain first place some of the time against the NPC cars in the single player game.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#8 of 11 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,134 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 03:15 PM

If you like racing games, specifically MK games, then you may enjoy the single player mode.  There's a bunch of developer ghosts to beat in the time trial mode, you can get online ghosts from others, and there is a competitive online mode.  But the game really shines as a multiplayer experience.

#9 of 11 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,957 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 30 2014 - 08:31 AM

MK8 is great as a single player, fantastic in local multiplayer, and online multiplayer is equally fun. Between this, Windwaker HD and upcoming titles like the new Super Smash Bros., anyone remotely interested in the WiiU should give it serious consideration. ZombiU is fun, and makes great use of the GamePad.

• DavidJ likes this
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 11 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted August 27 2014 - 03:45 PM

I assume that everyone has seen the exciting DLC news at this point, but just in case someone around here missed it, here it is. 

http://www.ign.com/a...n-november?read

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#11 of 11 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,134 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 12:02 PM

There was also a DLC released yesterday that has the silly Mercedes car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users